The problem with modern day hip hop

TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014

Rep:
    I like it its a hyped tune something that easy to remember

Obviously true hip hop fans know the legends biggie nas dr dre

Rep:
    This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

What's the song called

Rep:
    my favorite rappers are dead.. i guess times have changed and the industry has changed.. hiphop/rap eint how it used to be.. back when artists had the freedom to make music how they wanted it too, knowing that people would buy it if they actually like it.. But now everybody is mainstream, it doesnt pay to be underground. old school rap doesnt sell now, so artists are forced to make this crap pop music for radio and **** so i dont think it will ever be the same.. Wonder what the hip hop music industry would be if the likes of 2PAC and BIG were still here.. R.I.P.

Rep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Civi...hCA&playnext=4

Rep:
    (Original post by stefl14)
    Yeah biggie rapped about a lot of B.S. Biggie is overrated as **** but he was still great and a good lyricist. There are other rappers who rapped about nothing deep but were still amazing lyricists. These days you have rappers who rap about **** and their rhymes are **** too. You don't have to be a great lyricist but at least rap about something deep. Pac wasn't as good a lyricist as the likes of Nas but he's still great because of his subject matter.

I don't always care about meaningful lyrics, but I want something clever, not B.S monosyllabic rhymes that are about as good as "yo, my name is joe, your mom is a ho".

We don't get clever **** like this anymore. I challenge anyone to find clever stuff like this. Fair enough it's not meaningful but it's good lyrically. Some Big L rhymes here.

"So don't step to this, cause I got a live crew
    You might be kinda big but they make coffins yo' size too
    I was taught wise, I'm known to extort guys
    This ain't Cali, it's Harlem ***** we do walkbys"

A tech nine is my utensil
    Fillin' ****** with so much led they can use they dick for a pencil
    I'm known for snatchin' purses and bombin' churches
    I get more pussy on accident then most ****** get on purpose

Step to this and get shanked up
    I knocked out so many teeth the tooth fairy went bankrupt

Step to this and get shanked up
    I knocked out so many teeth the tooth fairy went bankrupt

I got styles you can't copy bitch,
    It's the triple six,
    in the mix,
    straight from H E double hockey sticks

"What's this mutha****in rap game without L? It's like jewels without ice, it's like China without rice or the Holy Bible without Christ"...

"I be placin snitches inside lakes and ditches
    And if I catch AIDS, then I'ma start rapin bitches"
    I could be here for hours just quoting Big L, he was just too good. Point is, subject matter doesn't mean **** about hip hop, The Chronic is another good example, people claim it's a classic album and "real hip hop" when the album is pretty much identical to what people release now. There is a lack of lyricists though as you said but there are good mainstream artists like J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Big K.R.I.T etc.

Rep:
    (Original post by StraightUpG)
    my favorite rappers are dead.. i guess times have changed and the industry has changed.. hiphop/rap eint how it used to be.. back when artists had the freedom to make music how they wanted it too, knowing that people would buy it if they actually like it.. But now everybody is mainstream, it doesnt pay to be underground. old school rap doesnt sell now, so artists are forced to make this crap pop music for radio and **** so i dont think it will ever be the same.. Wonder what the hip hop music industry would be if the likes of 2PAC and BIG were still here.. R.I.P.
    It wouldn't be that different, 2Pac would've been what LL Cool J, Ice Cube and Common are now and just become an actor and release new music occasionally. Biggie would've basically been what Jay - Z is now, I can guarantee that if 2Pac and Biggie were still alive today, they would get hated on for "selling out".

Rep:
    Eint nuttin like old school hip hop.. R.I.P. NATE DOGG

Rep:
    (Original post by ThaChronic)
    It wouldn't be that different, 2Pac would've been what LL Cool J, Ice Cube and Common are now and just become an actor and release new music occasionally. Biggie would've basically been what Jay - Z is now, I can guarantee that if 2Pac and Biggie were still alive today, they would get hated on for "selling out".
    hmm i suppose.. but i think if pac and big were still alive i dont think they would have let the game "change" as much as it has now..

Rep:
    "rack city bitch, rack rack city bitch"

Catchy but lyrically horrendous.

Rep:
    ****... Yeah that's awful.

I wouldn't say that's modern day hip hop though... That's just **** hip hop.

There's still people holding it down like Yasiin Bey (Mos Def), the roots, Ded Prez, DJ Premier, etc. Although admittedly those are old acts doing new ****.

I don't really listen to any new artists TBH. I still have tribe called quest repeating in my car.

Rep:
    hmm i suppose.. but i think if pac and big were still alive i dont think they would have let the game "change" as much as it has now..
    I don't really see why Pac & Big have this massive reputation & how you think they 'wouldn't have let hip hop change'....

Firstly Pac was overrated (my opinion), he would be top 20 if still alive. Biggie was ****ing awesome but a lot of his stuff was quite poppy. I mean if he was still around today he'd still be making songs with Sean Puff Diddy Willy for Christ sake.

To say they wouldn't have let the game change when there's Rakim, DJ Premier, Guru (until 2 years back), Nas, Q Tip, Slick Rick, etc still alive.... I think that's pretty disrespectful

Rep:
    Don't mind swearing in hip hop if it seems genuine.

Nothing beats

Rep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    I don't really see why Pac & Big have this massive reputation & how you think they 'wouldn't have let hip hop change'....

Firstly Pac was overrated (my opinion), he would be top 20 if still alive. Biggie was ****ing awesome but a lot of his stuff was quite poppy. I mean if he was still around today he'd still be making songs with Sean Puff Diddy Willy for Christ sake.

To say they wouldn't have let the game change when there's Rakim, DJ Premier, Guru (until 2 years back), Nas, Q Tip, Slick Rick, etc still alive.... I think that's pretty disrespectful

tru tru.. i guess the games change, rap will never be the same.. like u said nas, common, icecube pdiddy are all still around.. i think possibly it cud be due to music downloading? (a long shot) BUT back in the 80's/90's all artists could make music how they wanted it to be listened to and if people liked it they would buy it.. Now with people downloading music for free.. the only way for new and upcoming artists to be recognised is mostly by radio/media and if they doing underground hiphop/rap that eint gonna happen.. Thats why those artists make mainstreamish music to get recognised cuz old school hip hop dont pay no more.. you can clearly see that in the uk with how grime artists turn mainstream cuz grime doesnt pay!

Rep:
    tru tru.. i guess the games change, rap will never be the same.. like u said nas, common, icecube pdiddy are all still around.. i think possibly it cud be due to music downloading? (a long shot) BUT back in the 80's/90's all artists could make music how they wanted it to be listened to and if people liked it they would buy it.. Now with people downloading music for free.. the only way for new and upcoming artists to be recognised is mostly by radio/media and if they doing underground hiphop/rap that eint gonna happen.. Thats why those artists make mainstreamish music to get recognised cuz old school hip hop dont pay no more.. you can clearly see that in the uk with how grime artists turn mainstream cuz grime doesnt pay!
    Ice cube just announced a new album called everything's corrupt.
    Nas is recording one now me thinks. Although it might ruin his Previous rep to be honest.

Still. Lupe all way

Rep:
    (Original post by killa78)
    Ice cube just announced a new album called everything's corrupt.
    Nas is recording one now me thinks. Although it might ruin his Previous rep to be honest.

Still. Lupe all way
    whats your views on dre, snoop and the game right now?

Rep:
    (Original post by Steezy)

Couldn't agree more. The rap of Biggie and Pac is enhanced by the fact that they are dead and were big when they died. Someone calling either one of these two the greatest of all time doesn't know that much about hip-hop in my opinion or they are jumping on bandwagons. Don't get me wrong, a lot of what these two put out was brilliant. For example, Biggies verse on notorious thugs is dope. For what it's worth, I think both would have sold out just like Jay-Z has (Jay used to be sick) and I also think Big was better lyrically but Pac was far superior in terms of subject matter. IMO, these are a few who are better than both Pac and Big:

Nas, Big L, Rakim, KRS one

Rep:
    Cars
    Money
    Hoes
    :nn::nn::nn::nn::nn::nn::nn:

Rep:
    whats your views on dre, snoop and the game right now?
    Snoop is kinda mehh.
    Sweat was terrible lol.
    Young wild and free with Bruno mars and wiz suggested to me he's gone off the gangster stuff anyway.

Dre hasn't done anything since I need a doctor?
    Can't make a valid opinion yet but I think he's more of a producer now lol.
    Aren't we still waiting for detox? Haha

The Game still on it to be fair. Got his new mix tape the other day. Need to listen to it. But skate on was a choon (Y)

Rep:
    It's why 90% of the 1000 odd hip-hop songs I have are pre 2006, I just hate the sound of everything nowadays.

I do feel kind of hypocritical for liking stuff like this:

They basically talk about money and **** like every other "hip-hop artist" in the charts now but actually make it sound good.

Rep:
    Listen to some grime, it's got heart.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

: October 27, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis are the poshest?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.