Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The problem with modern day hip hop

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Rap isn't true anymore, rap was originally about telling a story or bring social awareness of issues such as poverty and conflicts, post year 2000 rap has literally been a downward spiral, it's sad because as time progresses, more bad artists get popular, before we had Run DMC, Dr Dre, (OLD) Snoop, Tupac, Big L, Biggie and Nas..now we have Drake, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj and Tyler the creator It's so sad..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say Tyler is bad, him and OF are talented and they're young. Unlike most rappers he can talk about the most random things and make them into something good. Not many people can link and rhyme like he does...but lil wayne can suck a d*ck
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Single handedly killed hip hop.. wow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19761436.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	145523
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say it's awful but the only rapper I like is Chingy
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't blame Lil Wayne for "killing hip hop", there are far worse rappers than him, Lil Wayne can actually spit when he isn't high on cough syrup.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I had a conversation with hip hop, and he told me how he wished that this mess would stop...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I live in Chicago, where Chief Keef is from, and you have no idea how annoying it is to here people constantly rapping his horrible lyrics.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apolocreed)
    I wouldn't say Tyler is bad, him and OF are talented and they're young. Unlike most rappers he can talk about the most random things and make them into something good. Not many people can link and rhyme like he does...but lil wayne can suck a d*ck
    The only good rappers in Odd Future are Tyler, the Creator and Earl. Everybody else in OF sucks, especially Mellow Hype.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem is not just limited to hip hop. The music industry goes through cycles; pick an era and it will always be dominated by one particular genre of music. Keen to jump on the money-making bandwagon, artists will opt for catchy hooks and stuff that can get played at parties. As a result, lyricism and genre integrity sometimes suffers. But I don't entirely blame the artists. When you're being offered a lot of money, you will simply do what the masses wants. Eventually, artists will succumb, either through greed or because they have run out of intelligent things to say...this will happen in nearly all circumstances.

Music that makes you think, or poses a strong opinion, is simply not desirable based on the current demand in the market. Most people don't want to hear politically or socially aware lyrics, or complex beats, they want something that they can sing along to. And to a degree I don't blame them either; Music is totally subjective, and obviously, the purpose of music differs, in their eyes.

But that doesn't mean a genre has been "killed". Perhaps its image has become distorted in the mainstream, but the mainstream always does this to genres, to an extent. More to the point, you will always find like-minded people who will produce music you want to listen to.

While I agree the integrity of hip hop has declined in recent years (the rising popularity of club music has influenced the genre massively), hip hop is far from dead. Some people think the only good hip hop comes from the Golden Era, or the early to mid nineties. But if you seek good contemporary hip hop, where the lyricism is well-thought and the beats sound distinctly boom-bap, it's there. I recommend artists like Viro the Virus, Apathy, R.A The Rugged Man, Celph Titled, The Cunninlynguists, MF Doom, British artists like Dirty Dike, Fliptrix, Stig of the Dump...Plenty to choose from.

And to be honest, I don't think the lyrical content of the music these days should be used as argument for why the old school was better. Take a song like Biggie's "I Got a Story to Tell". On it he talks about having sex with a woman, taking drugs, and then robbing a guy. But it's how he does it that makes it one of my favourite tracks. The work that has gone into constructing the lyrics is evident; multi-syllable rhyming, switches in flow, all the while telling a story masterfully. I criticise a lot of modern MC's for lacking craftsmanship of their lyrics, not necessarily the lyrics themselves.

Music is an art form in an uncomfortable position. While some artists of different disciplines like drama, dance and painting may only create a handful of masterpieces in their lifetimes, music artists are expected to churn out songs almost factory-like. Music is all about capturing a thought, but due to the massive demand for it, as well as the lucrative money involved, its status as an art form is somewhat precarious.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kdm4life)
    The only good rappers in Odd Future are Tyler, the Creator and Earl. Everybody else in OF sucks, especially Mellow Hype.
    hey hey hey hodgey beats is actually decent, and frank ocean!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThaChronic)
    You can't blame Lil Wayne for "killing hip hop", there are far worse rappers than him, Lil Wayne can actually spit when he isn't high on cough syrup.
    I know but the whole YMCMB hasnt given hip hop a good name.. i think there are a few underated rappers aswel that people havent mentioned on here like immortal technique, canibus, and groups like jedi mind tricks
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefl14)
    Couldn't agree more. The rap of Biggie and Pac is enhanced by the fact that they are dead and were big when they died. Someone calling either one of these two the greatest of all time doesn't know that much about hip-hop in my opinion or they are jumping on bandwagons. Don't get me wrong, a lot of what these two put out was brilliant. For example, Biggies verse on notorious thugs is dope. For what it's worth, I think both would have sold out just like Jay-Z has (Jay used to be sick) and I also think Big was better lyrically but Pac was far superior in terms of subject matter. IMO, these are a few who are better than both Pac and Big:

Nas, Big L, Rakim, KRS one
    Exactly. I personally put the Guru waaaay ahead of Tupac. He had subject matter which rivalled any rapper IMO, better delivery than Pac, he had the illest production skills from Premier and a conscious attitude. A proper role model. Yet he stayed mainly underground in terms of rspect that was given. When he died (albeit naturally) I heard nothing about it outside the Hip Hop community. Even though he gave so much to Hip Hop.

There's been much better acts than Tupac. Biggie's freestyle skills were pretty tip top, his music in general was really good as well but to put him right at the top, above all other rappers ever & make him the king, is pretty strong.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skaterava)
    The problem is not just limited to hip hop. The music industry goes through cycles; pick an era and it will always be dominated by one particular genre of music. Keen to jump on the money-making bandwagon, artists will opt for catchy hooks and stuff that can get played at parties. As a result, lyricism and genre integrity sometimes suffers. But I don't entirely blame the artists. When you're being offered a lot of money, you will simply do what the masses wants. Eventually, artists will succumb, either through greed or because they have run out of intelligent things to say...this will happen in nearly all circumstances.

Music that makes you think, or poses a strong opinion, is simply not desirable based on the current demand in the market. Most people don't want to hear politically or socially aware lyrics, or complex beats, they want something that they can sing along to. And to a degree I don't blame them either; Music is totally subjective, and obviously, the purpose of music differs, in their eyes.

But that doesn't mean a genre has been "killed". Perhaps its image has become distorted in the mainstream, but the mainstream always does this to genres, to an extent. More to the point, you will always find like-minded people who will produce music you want to listen to.

While I agree the integrity of hip hop has declined in recent years (the rising popularity of club music has influenced the genre massively), hip hop is far from dead. Some people think the only good hip hop comes from the Golden Era, or the early to mid nineties. But if you seek good contemporary hip hop, where the lyricism is well-thought and the beats sound distinctly boom-bap, it's there. I recommend artists like Viro the Virus, Apathy, R.A The Rugged Man, Celph Titled, The Cunninlynguists, MF Doom, British artists like Dirty Dike, Fliptrix, Stig of the Dump...Plenty to choose from.

And to be honest, I don't think the lyrical content of the music these days should be used as argument for why the old school was better. Take a song like Biggie's "I Got a Story to Tell". On it he talks about having sex with a woman, taking drugs, and then robbing a guy. But it's how he does it that makes it one of my favourite tracks. The work that has gone into constructing the lyrics is evident; multi-syllable rhyming, switches in flow, all the while telling a story masterfully. I criticise a lot of modern MC's for lacking craftsmanship of their lyrics, not necessarily the lyrics themselves.

Music is an art form in an uncomfortable position. While some artists of different disciplines like drama, dance and painting may only create a handful of masterpieces in their lifetimes, music artists are expected to churn out songs almost factory-like. Music is all about capturing a thought, but due to the massive demand for it, as well as the lucrative money involved, its status as an art form is somewhat precarious.
    ****in A!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StraightUpG)
    hey hey hey hodgey beats is actually decent, and frank ocean!
    Frank ocean is, but not hodgy beats. I dont really count frank ocean as odd future though
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chief Keef >>>>>

Talking as to say that this is a problem with modern day hip hop lmao. This type of ****'s been going on through hip hop forever, it's not just 'modern day'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    I like that tune, the problem with modern day hip hop is bedroom dwellers gassing about the problem with modern day hip hop
    this x1000.

most of the time the people talking are the ones who don't actually know hip hop. and most of the people that do don't spend their time on forums .
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ugk4life)
    this x1000.

most of the time the people talking are the ones who don't actually know hip hop. and most of the people that do don't spend their time on forums .
    ^Biggest load of **** I've read in my life. Compare the likes of Illmatic (you probably aren't aware of this album lol) with the **** that is put out today and the difference in skill is laughable. How are the people talking the ones who don't know hip hop? These people are the ones who listen to the likes of Rakim, Nas, Big L, KRS-One, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Wu Tang Clan, N.W.A etc - some of the most influential people/groups in hip hop. If you think the music put out by the vast majority of popular/mainstream rappers today is good or skillful there is something wrong with you. (there are a few exceptions - for example eminem who is as good as anyone when he puts out real tunes)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StraightUpG)
    I know but the whole YMCMB hasnt given hip hop a good name.. i think there are a few underated rappers aswel that people havent mentioned on here like immortal technique, canibus, and groups like jedi mind tricks
    Glad someone is repping these too. Didn't mention them but they are all good. Especially immortal technique and jedi mind tricks love their ****. Dance with the devil by immortal technique is probably the deepest song I've heard in my life!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hip Hop's been dead and buried, I don't listen to anything post-2003 to be honest, all these new guys lil wayne. Drake, rick ross etc.. Wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes when Pac and big were alive.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 27, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.