Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The problem with modern day hip hop

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    smh, you people claim to be "real hip hop fans" when the only rappers you know from this decade are Lil Wayne and Rick Ross. If you were true fans then you would actually know there are good artists right now, J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Big K.R.I.T, Elzhi just to name a few. I can guarantee most of you who listen to Nas haven't even heard his 3 singles on his new album. Hip Hop is evolving, deal with it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefl14)
    ^Biggest load of **** I've read in my life. Compare the likes of Illmatic (you probably aren't aware of this album lol) with the **** that is put out today and the difference in skill is laughable. How are the people talking the ones who don't know hip hop? These people are the ones who listen to the likes of Rakim, Nas, Big L, KRS-One, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Wu Tang Clan, N.W.A etc - some of the most influential people/groups in hip hop. If you think the music put out by the vast majority of popular/mainstream rappers today is good or skillful there is something wrong with you. (there are a few exceptions - for example eminem who is as good as anyone when he puts out real tunes)
    why would u assume that i havent heard illmatic?
    fair enough all the names u mentioned are influential etc etc im not disputing that in fact krs is my all time fav and imo GOAT.
    but when did i say that mainstream stuff is good or skillful or bad?

why u making so many assumptions about me instead of discussing things.

im guessing since you came down on me so hard you would know about artists such as - skyzoo, slaughterhouse, kendrick lamar and the rest of black hippy, big krit, jon connor, asap rocky, chamillionaire, krs one, slim the mobster, rittz, genesis elijah, lloyd banks, immortal technique, akala, lowkey, pusha t, common, danny brown, z-ro, bun b, big boi - all of which have in the past 18 months or so dropped albums/mixtapes which have been what you would call 'real hip hop'.

if u cant be bothered to search a lil bit for some good music and accept what you see on mtv as hip hop then you dont really have much chance of finding good stuff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    and when i say the people talking dont know hip hop, i mena the people that look up 'greatest hip hop artists/albums', download what they find and suddenly become the encyclopaedia of rap.

also what do u define as a real tune?

the reason why hip hop is in a bad place is because it hasnt been allowed to grow organically (in the mainstream at least). nowadays a rapper is either mainstream and a 'sellout' or 'real' and underground. fickle fans aint allowing the artists the versatility which they were afforded back in the days when you could hear krs one on a REM song.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ugk4life)
    why would u assume that i havent heard illmatic?
    fair enough all the names u mentioned are influential etc etc im not disputing that in fact krs is my all time fav and imo GOAT.
    but when did i say that mainstream stuff is good or skillful or bad?

why u making so many assumptions about me instead of discussing things.

im guessing since you came down on me so hard you would know about artists such as - skyzoo, slaughterhouse, kendrick lamar and the rest of black hippy, big krit, jon connor, asap rocky, chamillionaire, krs one, slim the mobster, rittz, genesis elijah, lloyd banks, immortal technique, akala, lowkey, pusha t, common, danny brown, z-ro, bun b, big boi - all of which have in the past 18 months or so dropped albums/mixtapes which have been what you would call 'real hip hop'.

if u cant be bothered to search a lil bit for some good music and accept what you see on mtv as hip hop then you dont really have much chance of finding good stuff.
    Actually I am aware of basically all of these artists and am an especially large fan or immortal technique. I know there are some decent underground artists and unsung artists around, my complaint is not that. My complaint is that people have so much love for bull**** whereas good artists get no respect and are basically unheard of.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMPUNK)
    Cars
    Money
    Hoes
    :nn::nn::nn::nn::nn::nn::nn:
    This.

For me 2pac was more then a hip hop artist he was the love by people and he can reaction them real life thing. I think Eminem is better rapper we have today he is closer we get modern day hip hop.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefl14)
    Actually I am aware of basically all of these artists and am an especially large fan or immortal technique. I know there are some decent underground artists and unsung artists around, my complaint is not that. My complaint is that people have so much love for bull**** whereas good artists get no respect and are basically unheard of.
    yeah i agree with that but at the end of the day i think its better to sing the praises of those emcees we feel are 'real hip hop' rather than spend so much time debatin and hatin on those rappers heard on the radio.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are key elements a song has to have in order to be considered hip hop, otherwise the genre loses its integrity. I'm all for hip hop evolving, as long as that doesn't mean it loses its core principles. Well-thought out lyrics (in terms of subject matter and rhyme structure), high quality delivering of those lyrics (whether that be one's voice or type of flow), and a distinctive boom-bap beat are the foundations of hip hop music.

You can mix hip hop music up with other genres, but there's a fine line to be drawn. Rapping over different beats is fine for progression's sake, but once the lyricism and delivery has strayed too far, it can no longer be considered hip hop, because that's the key to the genre. A so-called rapper who practically sings about nothing but women or having a party on a track that could easily be played in a nightclub is not representative of the hip hop genre.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to explain the difference to outsiders (of Rap and Hip Hop) that there are quality, meaningful hip hop songs when mainstream songs such as Rack City rule the airwaves. No one would understand the true scope and depths that rap can actually reach if all they hear is Lil Wayne, Niki Minaj, and Rick Ross on the radio (don't det me started with Rick Ross Look at Me I'm a bawse, i'm a bawse, hmm didn't look like a boss to me in that prison officer photo, looked like a fatass liar).

But the thing is Hip Hop isn't dead, it's just (as many have said) been pushed underground (the good side of hip hop that is). Jay Electronica anyone? While the mainstream has evolved rather devolved into a materialistic, generic club anthem-style of music that would be fine if it wasn't classed as Rap or Hip Hop but maybe Club Rap or Club Hop - but it isn't and so people place it in the same league as Nas and Mos Def. Say what you want about my opinion, but those two guys make rap an art form and they deserve more recognition than they get.

So now i'm back off to YouTube, searching the underground for more fresh 'artists' and trust me there's loads. Rant over.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince94)
    It's hard to explain the difference to outsiders (of Rap and Hip Hop) that there are quality, meaningful hip hop songs when mainstream songs such as Rack City rule the airwaves. No one would understand the true scope and depths that rap can actually reach if all they hear is Lil Wayne, Niki Minaj, and Rick Ross on the radio (don't det me started with Rick Ross Look at Me I'm a bawse, i'm a bawse, hmm didn't look like a boss to me in that prison officer photo, looked like a fatass liar).

But the thing is Hip Hop isn't dead, it's just (as many have said) been pushed underground (the good side of hip hop that is). Jay Electronica anyone? While the mainstream has evolved rather devolved into a materialistic, generic club anthem-style of music that would be fine if it wasn't classed as Rap or Hip Hop but maybe Club Rap or Club Hop - but it isn't and so people place it in the same league as Nas and Mos Def. Say what you want about my opinion, but those two guys make rap an art form and they deserve more recognition than they get.

So now i'm back off to YouTube, searching the underground for more fresh 'artists' and trust me there's loads. Rant over.
    Check out seattle artists, they're known for this thing called '3rd wave hip-hop' and some of it's reallll good, and reallllyyyy chill
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apolocreed)
    Check out seattle artists, they're known for this thing called '3rd wave hip-hop' and some of it's reallll good, and reallllyyyy chill
    I will, i'm gonna add this to my watchlist right now
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hip hop isnt dead, it's just evolved. It's not pretty at times, but all music changes.
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubAtomic)
    :lolwut:

Witty lyrics galore on 2001, here I cut and paste some for ya.

"You got the number, it's on you to make the call
    You know I cum quick; help you re-decorate your walls
    Cut your backyard, don't have to act hard to get the cock
    And if I'm goin too far, I take it out and wipe it off
    and put it back up, and keep going
    You tryin to hide it from your husband but I know he be knowin
    that your pussy's been tampered with
    Then you show him the new trick of how you can lick it, smoke a cancer stick"

So many good tracks on 2001 and some of the things that are said are so filthy I just lol.

Although I thought it was "did you show him that new trick of how you can make it smoke a cancer stick". Not sure if Azlyrics is the best source.
    All of Dre's music is lyrically poor. He's not reknowned for his rapping ability.

Legend of a producer though. One of the best for sure.
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ugk4life)
    Good point. This is the main problem with modern day Hip-Hop although it's not Hip-Hop's fault itself. The problem is that the record-buying public are idiots, always have been and always will be. They need to feel safe in their choices and validated that they're making the right one. If they're told Jay-Z is good, they'll believe Jay-Z is good. Partly how he turned himself into a legend (through self-hype) post-2000 when everything went a bit crap.

There's good Hip-Hop out there but like you say, you need to look for it. If you can't be bothered then you don't deserve to know what good music is and your opinions don't really matter.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised Masta ace hasn't got a mention in this thread, he's one of the most underrated rappers of all time. He clearly had a huge influence on Eminem as well.

'And I heard ya album, this must be something you're new at,
    Cause I rather hear a Lil' Wayne/Lil' Zane duet'

This thread kinda reminds me of a song by RA the rugged man, I think it gives a good representation of what the record companies and 'hip hop' fans are like nowadays. It also made me laugh

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What's this, the popular artists of a genre sucking balls?

Madness. This never happens. >_>

/awaits new GZA album
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not gonna lie I don't agree with what Chief Keef and his batch do, but they have pretty decent bangers I won't lie.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 27, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.