The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Simplicity
No I'm saying that a girl can say you raped her and then destroy your life even if you didn't.

The girl says you raped and you have to go to trial and everyone thinks you are a rapist. I know someone who's name was dragged through the mud because of this.

He spent a year in jail, the girl admitted she made it up and she only got community service. He could have spent two years in jail and be on the sex offender register.

Look at the footballer who is spending five years in jail. A girl gets drunk and goes back with a guy, she allows his friend to sleep with her. Now he spending five years in jail because she was too drunk even through she walked back with the guy and looked fine.

But in this case we're discussing here, the woman didn't admit to falsely accussing her husband of rape. If she did, she'd be punished properly (there's only 1 case I know of where a woman who admitted to falsely crying rape got off without jail time). There simply wasn't enough evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he committed those vile acts. So in essence the trial is now neutral, the fact that the defendant was declared 'not guilty' is a bit misleading because you automatically assume 'he's in the right' and 'she's in wrong' when in actual fact, the trial could be reopened and then go either way if new evidence is found and presented in the future.

So him being labelled 'not guilty' is simply due to the fact that we live in a society which has a legal system that suscribes to the notion of being innocent until proven guilty. Because by default, a defendent is always viewed innocent and because there wasn't enough evidence to convict him, he reverted to being labelled innocent i.e. not guilty.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 201
I don't know how anyone could hurt someone they love just to get sex quicker. I've been with girls who say no and mean yes though, and come back with me, pretend to not want sex and then end up in bed with me and after I kind of lay down, they'll say "HEY, I DO ACTUALLY WANT SEX, DON'T FALL ASLEEP! JIIIIIM!". I'm not implying this is the case here though. Just saying.
Reply 202
Original post by Ice Constricter
But in this case we're discussing here, the woman didn't admit to falsely accussing her husband of rape. If she did, she'd be punished properly (there's only 1 case I know of where a woman who admitted to falsely crying rape got off without jail time). There simply wasn't enough evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he committed those vile acts. So in essence the trial is now neutral, the fact that the defendant was declared 'not guilty' is a bit misleading because you automatically assume 'he's in the right' and 'she's in wrong' when in actual fact, the trial could be reopened and then go either way if new evidence is found and presented in the future.

So him being labelled 'not guilty' is simply due to the fact that we live in a society which has a legal system that suscribes to the notion of being innocent until proven guilty. Because by default, a defendent is always viewed innocent and because there wasn't enough evidence to convict him, he reverted to being labelled innocent i.e. not guilty.

Using that logic we should just label all men as rapists until they prove beyond reasonable doubt that they have never raped anyone.

A man accused of rape and found not guilty is no more of a rapist than anybody who has never been accused of rape, a legal tradition that I hope continues in this country, a shame that some people don't subscribe to this practice, but I guess mud sticks.

Fortunately in this case it seems like both parties were given anonymity, something that should happen in all rape cases, either that or both parties should be named, it's completely unfair that in most cases the man is named and the woman receives complete anonymity.

Latest

Trending

Trending