Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travelling America

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Oh man, I was under the impression they just ran pretty consistently like trains here. Nearly all of the trains i've been planning on getting after doing some research are early morning trains, so that I can get to the next place as early in the day as possible, so hopefully I can avoid being stuck in a dodgy station late at night! But thanks for the heads up!
    If you're only going on short journeys in the East you'll probably be fine. I just like to warn people if case they decide to go on one of the long cross-country ones on a short time frame i.e. travelling Seattle to L.A and then L.A to Chicago the next day. Unfortunately Amtrak makes such little profit (Americans really don't travel by train) that no-one invests in it or has an incentive to make the service better. Having said this, I had a great time on the route I did, despite delays.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    If you're only going on short journeys in the East you'll probably be fine. I just like to warn people if case they decide to go on one of the long cross-country ones on a short time frame i.e. travelling Seattle to L.A and then L.A to Chicago the next day. Unfortunately Amtrak makes such little profit (Americans really don't travel by train) that no-one invests in it or has an incentive to make the service better. Having said this, I had a great time on the route I did, despite delays.
    Ah well most of my journeys aren't too long and are all in the east, the longest would be NY - Niagara Falls which is about 9 hours. The rest are 5 hours or less, with most being between 1-3 hours long. And there will be 4-5 days between each time I use Amtrak. So fingers crossed I won't encounter too many problems!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so far i'm going
    New York - New Jersey - Philadelphia - Boston - Niagara Falls - Toronto - New York.

If I do decide to leave it in though, it's only half an hour away from a Six Flags theme park, which is a plus!
    Six Flags Great Adventure is pretty awesome tbh. El Toro - the wooden rollercoaster there - is one of the best/most intense rides I have ever been on. Kingda Ka (world's tallest roller coaster) is also there, although I didn't get chance to ride this as it was down went I went last year.

Just a pointer though - you can quite easily get to Six Flags by public transport from Philadelphia or New York. There is a bus service that runs from each city that includes admission, which actually worked out cheaper than the on-the-day admission price anyway!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I plan to travel america a bit when I hit 21, I'm thinking of going on Trek America, has anyone been on it?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma_B)
    Six Flags Great Adventure is pretty awesome tbh. El Toro - the wooden rollercoaster there - is one of the best/most intense rides I have ever been on. Kingda Ka (world's tallest roller coaster) is also there, although I didn't get chance to ride this as it was down went I went last year.

Just a pointer though - you can quite easily get to Six Flags by public transport from Philadelphia or New York. There is a bus service that runs from each city that includes admission, which actually worked out cheaper than the on-the-day admission price anyway!

Oh really? I did wonder about whether there was a bus service from the bigger cities, but couldn't find anything about them. I tried the NJtransit website, where they do have the bus schedules that say they run buses there, but when I actually tried to find those buses using the farefinder thing they didn't show up :confused:
    It'd probably be easier if I was able to go from Philadelphia, as i'm there for longer.

But yeah, it does looks awesome! El Toro looks insane!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? I did wonder about whether there was a bus service from the bigger cities, but couldn't find anything about them. I tried the NJtransit website, where they do have the bus schedules that say they run buses there, but when I actually tried to find those buses using the farefinder thing they didn't show up :confused:
    It'd probably be easier if I was able to go from Philadelphia, as i'm there for longer.

But yeah, it does looks awesome! El Toro looks insane!
    Yeah, I think it was the 318 bus from Philadelphia. It was operated by NJTransit but you have to get it from the Greyhound bus terminal there. I think it only operates on weekends and holidays though. We did have some trouble trying to find it online, the only information on there seemed really out of date, but it was definitely still running in October last year! If you just go to the Greyhound station whilst you're in Philadelphia, there is a NJTransit window there where they will give you more information on whether it is still available.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senator88)
    I plan to travel america a bit when I hit 21, I'm thinking of going on Trek America, has anyone been on it?
    I had heard of them and looked up some trips with Trek America, but decided on going with the Green Tortoise instead - they are much cheaper and food is included. Also they have beds on the bus so I didn't have to pay for lodging! http://www.greentortoise.com/adventu...s-country.html
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Grey hound is ok for long journeys but honestly these days flying if you book ahead of time can be cheaper then the bus! not to mention the time saved... you could check out some groups tours from say Los Angeles, Las Vegas or San Francisco if you are out that way-there are a few who offer supper fun multi day tours to all the national parks and cities and work out cheaper and funner than doing it yourself. I heard Go Trek USA was great in the Southwest for small group adventures for young people.

You will have sunstantail hotel costs if you travel by greyhound etc and the organized tours save a ton on that as you can camp! Its Awesome! hope that helps
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luvntravel)
    I had heard of them and looked up some trips with Trek America, but decided on going with the Green Tortoise instead - they are much cheaper and food is included. Also they have beds on the bus so I didn't have to pay for lodging! http://www.greentortoise.com/adventu...s-country.html
    How was your trip with them? I am thinking of going on one of their tours.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have done trek america and travelled alone with a monthly greyhound pass, both were fun, do think trek america is a bit over priced for camping but takes the hassle out of trying to get on busses, they have a weight limit for luggage on the greyhound bus too.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.