The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Brunel Court Studio Flat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JohnC2211
Can I just clarify my above post, the internet is a lot better now. You just need to tweak your IPV4 settings. If you need help doing this feel free to send me a personal message.

Are you sure? I'm on a dongle from my room. The Brunel court internet on my laptop is so crap I can't explain. However, my Iphone works on it perfectly well. I'm sure the whole building would like to know how to improve this crappy internet!
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Original post by Westside786
Are you sure? I'm on a dongle from my room. The Brunel court internet on my laptop is so crap I can't explain. However, my Iphone works on it perfectly well. I'm sure the whole building would like to know how to improve this crappy internet!

Apparently the internet is being fixed today. But also apparently, they were meant to fix it last Monday and they never turned up!

What you need to do (assuming you're on Windows 7) is click on the lower right corner where your network connections are. Then click on "Open Network and Sharing Centre". Then on the left task bar under Control Panel Home you need to click on "Change Adapter Settings." Right click on the Wireless Connection that you use to connect to Brunel and click Properties. This should bring up a new window. Look in the "This connection uses the following items:" box and find "Internet Protocol Version 4". Double click on it.

On the new window that pops up you need to make sure "Use the following DNS server addresses:" is checked and then enter these values:

Preferred DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
Alternate DNS Server: 208.67.222.220

Hope this helps! If my instructions are a bit rubbish go down to reception and talk to Dave, and he should talk you through it.
I just tried this on my mates laptop who has windows 7. It didn't work LOL. I'm just thinking about buying my own internet. I want to make a complaint to the university about this place, thats how ridiculous it's becoming. Future warning to others...DON'T COME HERE for Sep 2013. This is just my opinion.
Reply 23
Lol they say this every year that the internet will be fixed on x date. I don't know why they find it so hard to get good internet when all of the other places have decent internet...I think it's more down to the internet company but then they should spend some money and massivly change it.

Dave and everyone there are great it's the internet that lets it down.
Agreed. I can only think of Leighton who also do Studio Flats in Preston and they're about £11 more expensive per week, and are only available on 52 week contracts. Brunel's studios are reasonably priced, a good size, and have a short contract time. Okay in the Annex Studios the fridge freezer is a bit small, but other than that and the internet, it's a pretty fantastic place to live.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Any suggestions on how to go about providing internet for myself, so I can actually do university work whilst at my university accommodation without having to trek to the library?

Completely out of order.
Original post by DontCha
Any suggestions on how to go about providing internet for myself, so I can actually do university work whilst at my university accommodation without having to trek to the library?

Completely out of order.

If you want to join the FB group for Brunel Court the link is:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/251220704980975/

It's where we all complain :biggrin:
Also might I say that the internet at Brunel Court if you believe it or not, has a security thing called OpenDNS which actually regulates which sites you can and cannot access. Most gaming related sites are blocked. Even gaming apps on Facebook are blocked. Pretty poor really considering that we're adults.
Are you allowed to use a post dated check without informing the person to whom the check belongs too by Brunel Head office if someone has paid on their grandson's behalf expecially the contract is obviously not with the person who has the name on the check but the contract is with the student i.e. Grandson.
Can Head office staff at Brunel Court use a post dated check for a student that someone else i.e grandmother has prepared for student that is who the contract is with, without the knowledge or permission from grandmother as they informed her that this would not be used and that they must put cancel on the back of the post dated check they say this is just a formality process. This can not be legal as Brunel Court has done just that went and used grandma's Check without her permission taken monies out of her account although the contract is with grandson.
Reply 30
Anybody in this post active? - I have a few questions about the place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending