Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminism and the job market

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Many people I know have their life planned out to m arry a rich man and coast through life on his money. They want to have their children and remain housewives for life. They have no ambitions of a career or any further education but to find a man and let him take care of them.
    Is it wrong that this concept of relying on a man and discarding your independance annoys me?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. I want to be a professional mathematician and I'm a girl. I would only get married after I have done what I want to do. Yourself?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hcam)
    No. I want to be a professional mathematician and I'm a girl. I would only get married after I have done what I want to do. Yourself?
    I am determined to become a doctor and i'm a girl, i've just been accepted to Liverpool university. This topic came up because in english my entire class agreed that a career isnt important for a woman if she has children. I was shocked!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to you! We need more lady doctors.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hcam)
    I tihnk we just need more women with ambition! :P
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hcam)
    I know. It's awkward having a guy look at your junk.
    • 110 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hcam)
    Actually, Medicine is a female dominated course.

Don't see how this topic relates to feminism, but that's feminists for you, always looking for something to moan about.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)

Don't see how this topic relates to feminism, but that's feminists for you, always looking for something to moan about.
    Its not the medicine its the fact that women have fought for equality for years and so many women i know ignore their oppourtunities and want nothing more in life than to be subserviant to a man :/
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medigirl)
    I am determined to become a doctor and i'm a girl, i've just been accepted to Liverpool university. This topic came up because in english my entire class agreed that a career isnt important for a woman if she has children. I was shocked!

Many people I know have their life planned out to m arry a rich man and coast through life on his money. They want to have their children and remain housewives for life. They have no ambitions of a career or any further education but to find a man and let him take care of them.
    Is it wrong that this concept of relying on a man and discarding your independance annoys me?
    If you had a husband who stayed at home and looked after kids (if you had any) then fine. You're providing for your family with a very well paid job.

I think perhaps your class was going on the assumption that men work women stay at home --> women with kids should look after them(I'm not saying I agree with that)

What I hate is when you get 2 parents working while having 3 etc kids because "they should be able to have a career"
    If you can't be arsed with the responsibility of being a proper parent then don't have kids.

But if the above doesn't apply to you then good luck.
    • 110 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its not the medicine its the fact that women have fought for equality for years and so many women i know ignore their oppourtunities and want nothing more in life than to be subserviant to a man :/
    Boo-****ing-hoo.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think it's wrong, I have the same outlook too. Learn to fend for yourself, that way if you get stuck in a bad place/relationship you can stand on your own two feet and deal with it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    We all need to be ambitious in life. It doesn't matter whether we are boys or girls. Spending your life doing nothing is a wasted life.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Female nature/media and societal pressure?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)

I think it's a bit harsh to say feminists moan. They simply speak up because they aren't happy. Ok, that's kind of moaning. Sorry.

Is it really true that more medicine students are female? I thought the ratio was fifty fifty.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Feminism should really be about choice. If women want to stay at home let them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hcam)
    We all need to be ambitious in life. It doesn't matter whether we are boys or girls. Spending your life doing nothing is a wasted life.
    Exactly. I just get so annoyed with people who have no ambition and just want to live life depending on someone else man or woman.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is about choice. If women want to do that, then that's up to them, although all the campaigning has been that an alternative is open for them, they don't 'have' to go out and work if they feel they want to be a full time housewife and mother, but they can if they want. Feminism fought for their right to choose too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetbuzzzz)
    Feminism is the freedom to do whatever you want because you are equal in life. I'm just shocked so many women still 'choose' to stay at home
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How many feminists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

-one to screw it in,
    -one to excoriate men for creating the need for illumination,
    -one to blame men for inventing such a faulty means of illumination,
    -one to suggest the whole "screwing" bit to be too "rape-like",
    -one to deconstruct the lightbulb itself as being phallic,
    -one to blame men for not changing the bulb,
    -one to blame men for trying to change the bulb instead of letting a woman do it,
    -one to blame men for creating a society that discourages women from changing light bulbs,
    -one to blame men for creating a society where women change too many light bulbs,
    -one to advocate that lightbulb changers should have wage parity with electricians,
    -one to alert the media that women are now "out-lightbulbing" men,
    -one to just sit there taking pictures for her blog for photo-evidence that men are unnecessary.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetbuzzzz)
    Oh, I do love liberals. Such idealists.

Observe;

If women should have the choice to stay at home then equally men should have the choice to stay at home. Then we can join together and skip across rainbows as free money rains from the sky.

No. Nowadays people are expected to support themselves. Men are expected to support themselves, and as equality pushes on, women are too.

Feminism is about equality for all, not the choice to be equal for some.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2012
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.