The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by StudyAk
And just do same for Stv and say " However others may argue that infact Stv provides better representation and more choice compared to fptp because...."

When do I mention "However others may argue that infact Stv provides better representation and more choice compared to fptp because..."?
At the start of the advantages of STV paragraph, or the paragrpah when I compare FPTP and STV?

Would you keep the paragraphs as 3 - FPTP, STV, Comparion - or would you split them up more? E.g.

Para 1 FPTP advantages
Para 2 FPTP disadvantages
Para 3 STV advantages
Para 4 STV disadvantages
And then another few paragraphs for comparisons (depending on how many)

OR, is this too much? I personally prefer the 3 paragraphs way as it means it would be slightly shorter overall, although the paragraphs would be longer.
Reply 41
Theres different ways of doing it...I think you are better off doing the 3 paragraph method...

I do it the different way because it's easier for me.

Anways, where are you getting your advanatages and disadvantages for the different types of systems. I have already done an essay on it and i only got 10 marks because my teacher says i need to put in examples but i cant seem to find any. Like for an advanatge of fptp is that there is a higher voting turnout but i can't find any statistics to prove my point... help?
Reply 42
Has anyone got any policies which the labour party had to change to satisfy the liberal democrats to remain in a coalition government with them in 1999-2003 2003-2007 which made Scotland voters annoyed?
Reply 43
Original post by StudyAk
Anways, where are you getting your advanatages and disadvantages for the different types of systems. I have already done an essay on it and i only got 10 marks because my teacher says i need to put in examples but i cant seem to find any. Like for an advanatge of fptp is that there is a higher voting turnout but i can't find any statistics to prove my point... help?

I have so many notes written down from class and a big book of notes on electoral systems which my teacher made up for us. I have an essay which I made up for the prelim although I never got it marked, so I don't actually know how good it is. And like I've said many times before, I didn't finish the electoral systems essay question in the prelim and therefore got 4/15 so I still don't really know how well I will do in the exam if a question on electoral systems comes up.
Original post by Laurendick.17
So the wealth question will be on gender inequalities?!:frown:

I think it might be just fptp alone if its electoral systems as all the other ones have been asked?:/

See for the USA I think powers of the president is going to come due to it being the election?

or welfare state probably

for C9 yeah it will probably be President or ethnic minorties participation in the election
Original post by dontlikehighers
How would you answer a question like that? Would be totally thrown if they put in a question like that :frown:

Yeah, it's quite a complicated question to answer if you haven't really considered it before. Basically, you just need to consider the influence of the smaller parties in UK elections and the representation they are getting.

Question would most likely be : "To what extent is the UK political system a two party system ?"

Firstly though, you need to state what leads to the view that the UK is a two party system (of Tories and Labour), so mention Westminster elections, fact that only the two major parties can ever really form governments because of FPTP which means the small parties do not get a fair % of the seats from their vote. Then, lead on to the fact that the Lib Dems are in a coalition, so in power, and thus showing firstly that it's not a two party system really.

Then I'd talk about the SNP's breakthrough in 2011, winning 53% of the seats in the Scottish Parliament, is a fine example of why the UK system is not one of two parties, as they managed to make a breakthrough and get a majority in a system which was designed to specifically avoid that.

Then, UKIP's breakthrough in the EU elections is another example, and the fact that they came second with 17% of the vote, over Labour's 16% shows that there is no two party system there.

You'd also mention council elections. So the fact that the voting system for council elections in Scotland is STV allows small parties to make big breakthroughs and get into power. One example being that of East Renfrewshire Council were, before the recent election, it was a coalition of SNP, Labour, Lib Dems and Independents that controlled the council, an example of the fact that it's not a system of two parties anymore.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Nfergs
I have so many notes written down from class and a big book of notes on electoral systems which my teacher made up for us. I have an essay which I made up for the prelim although I never got it marked, so I don't actually know how good it is. And like I've said many times before, I didn't finish the electoral systems essay question in the prelim and therefore got 4/15 so I still don't really know how well I will do in the exam if a question on electoral systems comes up.

ah ok... done revising for electoral systems another 7 to go:eek: I just looked at the advantages and disadvantages of stv ams and fptp with few examples and will just ramble on. I will try learn about factors which affect voting behaviour by the end of today which will leave me to cover section B questions for tomorow.
Reply 47
What government policies have been introduced to reduce UK social class inequalities and regional inequalities? :confused:
Original post by Laurendick.17
My modern studies teacher went to the higher conference in the paisley town hall and she mentioned that they possibly hinted towards the exam question for electoral systems and voting behaviour and she said it could be does media shape or reflect public opinion? This could be true as if you look at past papers for this unit it is usually two year voting behaviour and 1 year electoral systems and its due to be voting behaviour again:frown: but I don't know what to study in case electoral systems comes up!!!!

Also, health and wealth question what is everyone thinking for health?!

I went to that conference, genuinely the worst thing I have ever sat through, was so boring.

They didn't really hint at anything to be honest with you, I'd suggest your teacher is getting that hint because the opening presentation was about voting behaviour, and equally, it was dreadful.
Original post by Nfergs
What government policies have been introduced to reduce UK social class inequalities and regional inequalities? :confused:

Minimum Wage, Free School Meals (for those on income support, more likely to be those of lower social classes so trys to reduce inequality), Free prescriptions.
Reply 50
Original post by S119234
Minimum Wage, Free School Meals (for those on income support, more likely to be those of lower social classes so trys to reduce inequality), Free prescriptions.

I'm guessing free prescriptions for regional inequalities?
Reply 51
Original post by Nfergs

For that question im sure you have to talk about governement policies such as child tax credit and how that has allowed single parents to gain more money to help bring up their children etc Giving examples

And then you have give a few paragraphs on the social and economic inequalities that still exist in the uk and how the governement policies havent been able to tackle it e.g.) there is still continued evidense of the glass ceiling when it comes to women working in senior management jobs.
Original post by Nfergs
I'm guessing free prescriptions for regional inequalities?

Suppose it could apply to both. Although there is a subject of debate there because prescriptions were free already for most of the poorest in society, but I'd just state it as a policy anyway.
Reply 53
Original post by StudyAk
For that question im sure you have to talk about governement policies such as child tax credit and how that has allowed single parents to gain more money to help bring up their children etc Giving examples

And then you have give a few paragraphs on the social and economic inequalities that still exist in the uk and how the governement policies havent been able to tackle it e.g.) there is still continued evidense of the glass ceiling when it comes to women working in senior management jobs.

Well the question is To what extent do social and economic inequalities continue to exist in the UK?, so I've sort of mentioned everything. Although finding government policies for regional inequalities has been really difficult.
Reply 54
I really doubt it will be regional inequalities again. Just learn the social and econmoic inequalities in general and policies that help reduce them
Reply 55
Do I even need to mention policies for regional inequalities because I can't find any whatsoever! Plus the question is asking whether social and economic inequalities continue to exist, so it's not asking for government policies in reducing inequalities within the UK (although I've added that into the other factors). I'm thinking of just describing the regional inequalities and whether there has been improvements or not. That should hopefully do.
Reply 56
Original post by Nfergs

Is that question from a past paper, if so what year?
Reply 57
Original post by StudyAk
Is that question from a past paper, if so what year?

No, the original question was To what extent do social and economic inequalities continue to exist in the UK?', from 2007. However as I was writing my essay plan I got stuck on government policies to reduce social class and regional inequalities. I ended up just leaving out the government policies bit out for regional inequalities since it didn't seem all that important. Plus if a question like this does appear, I doubt it will ask for all inequalities (hopefully).
Reply 58
Hi there,

Have just being looking over the politics of the course and have found that I am not sure about the decision making in central government part.

As there is speculation of a POWERS OF THE PM question coming up does anyone have good notes on this topic or essay examples/plans as I am simply confused about how I would write an essay on this.

Thanks again.
Original post by Nfergs
When do I mention "However others may argue that infact Stv provides better representation and more choice compared to fptp because..."?
At the start of the advantages of STV paragraph, or the paragrpah when I compare FPTP and STV?

Would you keep the paragraphs as 3 - FPTP, STV, Comparion - or would you split them up more? E.g.

Para 1 FPTP advantages
Para 2 FPTP disadvantages
Para 3 STV advantages
Para 4 STV disadvantages
And then another few paragraphs for comparisons (depending on how many)

OR, is this too much? I personally prefer the 3 paragraphs way as it means it would be slightly shorter overall, although the paragraphs would be longer.

If you prefer the 3 paragraph structure I would lay it out as
-Intro
-FPTP vs STV, in terms of choice
-FPTP vs STV, in terms of representation
-FPTP vs STV, in terms of smaller parties
-Conclusion

Hope that helps somewhat :P

Latest

Trending

Trending