Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your first animated film/memories/first time in the cinema/favourite childhood films

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I know these threads are common, but I'm just interested. Here you can post your favourite animated films from your childhood, your first memories of films, your first time in the cinema and films you liked as a child and still do to this day.

One of my favourite animated films of my childhood was Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. Back when I was 5, it's all about the 'horsies'. But now I'm 15 you can really see the beauty of it and understand things better. I like it even more than I did as a 5 year old. It's a shame that this is one of DreamWork's best yet it's underrated and their films about farting ogres are more popular. Guess no one cares for films made with love and effort about friendship, freedom and bravery.

Spirited Away is also another favourite. I watched it when I was 8. I've seen it countless times yet I never get bored of it. It's just so well made. Also loved the other Ghibli classics like Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle.

The first film I ever saw in the cinema was Toy Story. At first I was unhappy because I thought we were catching yet another plane on my dad's business trip. But when I discovered it was a film I was happy.

So go on. Share your memories and your childhood. And don't be embarrassed to admit what you watched and what you still like. I won't judge. We've all get guilty pleasures in films.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its been such a long time, but I still have vague memories of this film despite it not being so well-known:

released in 1999 apparently
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Lion King
    Toy Story
    A Bug's Life
    Mulan

:daydreaming:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Peter Pan! that was the first movie we saw when we just got our first dvd player, i can still remember getting into my mum's bed with my brother after breakfast to watch it. I thought it was amazing!
    I really liked and still like Tom and Jerry and Rugrats too i used to watch hours of them when i was sick.
    First time in the cinema was in 2009... when i saw the Cinderella animation, it was awful . Favourite movie i've seen in the cinema is Rio! That said, worst movie i've seen in the cinema is Moneyball last christmas:yawn: .. never again.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not a film but

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arthurtv_logo.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	145554

They did have a Christmas film which i may or may not have watched :ninjagirl:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I still remember watching Disney's Alice in Wonderland when I was younger. That was such a cool film, so psychedelic.

Princess Mononoke was another film I remember watching.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I was a kid I ****ing loved this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peter-pan-disneys-peter-pan-27082027-334-480.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	145560

I remember lying down on the floor in the Arndale centre crying my eyes out to have this on VHS. I eventually got it and watched it like 500+ times.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My first time EVER at the cinema. 6 years old when this came out.

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I cry every time I watch the first Pokemon movie.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    i went to see anastasia for my first time ever at the cinema, still one of my favourite films!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    My first trip to the cinema was when I was five to see The Lion King in 1994, blew my mind!

This, however, remains my favourite childhood film and still has the power to reduce me to a blubbering mess.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The post above me - Land Before Time. Brings back my childhood on so many levels haha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnm)
    The most touching film I've every watched :congrats:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this is taking it back...when I was a nipper I used to love ~

- Toy Story (who didn't ?)
    - Pinocchio
    - The Lion King
    - My absolute favourite - The Fox and the Hound. Seriously, I used to more or less watch this every day, without fail.
    - Foghorn Leghorn - I say I say I say !
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Watership Down. I'm more freaked out it now then I was when I was 5.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverOptimistic)
    My first time EVER at the cinema. 6 years old when this came out.

So cool :cool:
    I got an ~official~ Space Jam basketball for my birthday that year.

I think my first film (which I got a UGC certificate for) was the Lion King.
    My favourite, which for a while I based my career plans on, was Cats The Musical... :P
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    These are the videos my brother and I wore out when we were little:

Disney ones...
    The Lion King :grin:
    Robin Hood
    Sword in the Stone
    The Fox and the Hound
    Peter Pan

The non-disney one we loved was called An American Tail and it was about Fievel the mouse!

I can't remember my first film at the cinema but these are the memorable ones from my childhood...

Mulan - I always remember this because I ate too much and threw up on the way out :sad:.

LOTR - I was only 9-11 but I remember seeing all of the films at the cinema.

Grease - When they re-released this I was on holiday with my family so we saw it after everyone else had already been to the cinema. We had the cinema room to ourselves (apart from one guy on his own). I'd have been about 6.

Galaxy Quest - How could anyone forget that film?!

Films I liked as a child and watched repeatedly...

Home Alone
    Homeward Bound
    Lion King
    Land Before Time films
    I went through a phase of watching Jumanji a lot too.

I'm sure there are more but I can't remember them right now :p:.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think my earliest memory of the cinema is watching Space Jam. I fell asleep during it

We had a copy of Snow White on VHS that I pretty much wore out
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The first film I remember seeing in the cinema is Pocahontas, which I think was in 95.
    Muppet Treasure Island was my favourite film of my childhood though, and is probably still one of my favourite films!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.