Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it normal for your counsellor ...

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ... to cry during a session?

I went to counselling for the first time in five years today to try to get a handle on my mood, my bucket o' issues, and being a happy independant person etc. Anyway, the first session is obviously explaining these things and skimming the problems so they have an idea about what you need. So I talked, I cried a lot and all that business. I got really upset. For most of it he was quiet, except for pointing out certain things that I said and so on and so forth, but I noticed at one point that he was crying. Not sobbing or tears streaming down the face, but there was definitely tears welling up in his eyes. I'm unsure about how I felt about this - is this appropriate? :/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would of swore you had the same counselor as me but mine was a woman and she cried too. I don't know OP but it is strange isn't but at least they do show themselves as human.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not normal no. Mine usually just gives me more drugs.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    bless.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I honestly have no idea but i wouldn't like it. It's nice that they're human and empathetic and all but if i saw a counsellor and they started crying i'd feel concerned for THEM and feel bad for making them cry. You don't need that! They're supposed to be the ones helping you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna150)
    I honestly have no idea but i wouldn't like it. It's nice that they're human and empathetic and all but if i saw a counsellor and they started crying i'd feel concerned for THEM and feel bad for making them cry. You don't need that! They're supposed to be the ones helping you.
    That is true. It is not a comfortable situation and did feel like I should be comforting them instead.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you weren't the councillor?
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you were saying. If it was something that hit close to home for him then I could see why. But generally no, it's not normal or professional to do so.
    • 102 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not very professional but they're only humans. I had a welfare tutor well up when I was talking to her once. Clearly couldn't help herself... :dontknow:

I don't think that sounds appropriate really, I realise everyone has feelings but I would imagine you go into the profession knowing at some point you are going to hear things which might make you angry or that might be hard to listen to but you just have to remain neutral. My therapist actually told me to say anything and everything without worrying it might not be nice to for her to hear because it wasn't her job to be upset about it, it was her job to help me work through it. I think it did help for me to hear that, I suspect I'd not continue to see someone who welled up or full on cried!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The same thing happened to me! A was telling my counsellor something bad that happened in my past and he definitely had tears in his eyes. It actually happened more than once and I felt really bad about it, so it was a bit awkward to talk to him again.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Counsellors are professionas, but they are also humans. It would be inappropriate to spend the entire session sobbing, but having tears welling up, to me, just shows how in-tune with you they are, that they are obviously empathising and are open to you.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it is unprofessional but human.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he just had hayfever...it is a possibility.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KTCI)
    ... to cry during a session?

I went to counselling for the first time in five years today to try to get a handle on my mood, my bucket o' issues, and being a happy independant person etc. Anyway, the first session is obviously explaining these things and skimming the problems so they have an idea about what you need. So I talked, I cried a lot and all that business. I got really upset. For most of it he was quiet, except for pointing out certain things that I said and so on and so forth, but I noticed at one point that he was crying. Not sobbing or tears streaming down the face, but there was definitely tears welling up in his eyes. I'm unsure about how I felt about this - is this appropriate? :/
    what made him cry?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 1, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.