Lip piercing and a job?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theonelink
I'm so right.

If you say so
Reply 21
Original post by diamonddust
A vertical labret? A double snakebite? :tongue:

I have to say, I'm really surprised at how judgemental people are on here. I think that if you really are desperate for a job, hold off on the piercing- I expect M&S are very 'one stud on each ear lobe only' employers and they'll want you to look a certain way. I recently got a lip piercing (vertical labret) and I'm prepared to take it out *sob* if I have a job interview in a place that I suspect will mind and judge me. Personally, I kind of wish that I'd got the septum piercing I wanted instead. That can be flipped up and hidden completely.
But yeah, if you're really desperate for your lip piercing and a job, you could ask your piercer if they'll pierce you with a clear retainer (if it's possible with the piercing you want). It won't be invisible but it will be more subtle than metal. You should probably ask about the piercing policy if you get an interview and make it clear you'll do whatever they ask of you regarding your piercing. It sucks but a job + money > a piercing. You can always get a piercing somewhere that isn't as visible as your face. Or you could try somewhere that's more lax than M+S. I've heard Sainsbury's don't care about piercings- well, as long as you don't work in the bakery department. :tongue:

You seem to know what you're talking about lol... Is it possible to get a clear retainer as the first piercing? how visible are these things

I could see my lecturers complaining about this too... I have to present work to them and the class every week, don't think they'd be too fond of it
Reply 22

It's a ****ing little stud on the corner of my lip ffs... unproffessional lol? all I need is a job stacking shelves etc for the summer.

I doubt they'll notice a lip piercing with an attitude like that:rolleyes:
Reply 23
Original post by Henwin
I doubt they'll notice a lip piercing with an attitude like that:rolleyes:

Read the posts I replied to and then you may understand why I reacted like that.
Reply 24
This is not just any metal inserted in my face... it is M&S metal
Reply 25
Original post by diamonddust
A vertical labret? A double snakebite? :tongue:

I have to say, I'm really surprised at how judgemental people are on here. I think that if you really are desperate for a job, hold off on the piercing- I expect M&S are very 'one stud on each ear lobe only' employers and they'll want you to look a certain way. I recently got a lip piercing (vertical labret) and I'm prepared to take it out *sob* if I have a job interview in a place that I suspect will mind and judge me. Personally, I kind of wish that I'd got the septum piercing I wanted instead. That can be flipped up and hidden completely.
But yeah, if you're really desperate for your lip piercing and a job, you could ask your piercer if they'll pierce you with a clear retainer (if it's possible with the piercing you want). It won't be invisible but it will be more subtle than metal. You should probably ask about the piercing policy if you get an interview and make it clear you'll do whatever they ask of you regarding your piercing. It sucks but a job + money > a piercing. You can always get a piercing somewhere that isn't as visible as your face. Or you could try somewhere that's more lax than M+S. I've heard Sainsbury's don't care about piercings- well, as long as you don't work in the bakery department. :tongue:

This. Some employers will care, so it will have an effect sometimes, but I wouldn't say most, to be honest a lip piercing is quite small it's not like you're having ten piercings on your face and dying your hair bright purple or something (which some people seem to be making out).

Maybe call up m&s now and ask about their policy, been as they are probably your best chance for a job.

Xxx

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB526
So much hate

Lol, don't you think it looks untidy? It might look cool or trendy or whatever.

But when you go to work how you look is important. People are very judgemental and piercings (particularly in men) make you look untrustworthy, dirty and generally unpleasant. Just a psychological effect I'm afraid!

Do it after summer. Not worth the hassle.
Reply 27
Original post by kpwxx
This. Some employers will care, so it will have an effect sometimes, but I wouldn't say most, to be honest a lip piercing is quite small it's not like you're having ten piercings on your face and dying your hair bright purple or something (which some people seem to be making out).

Maybe call up m&s now and ask about their policy, been as they are probably your best chance for a job.

Xxx

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB526

This.

It's one small piercing... it will be my first. I don't have a crap load of facial piercings or any tats like people posting here instantly assume I do -_-
Reply 28
Original post by FranticMind
Lol, don't you think it looks untidy? It might look cool or trendy or whatever.

But when you go to work how you look is important. People are very judgemental and piercings (particularly in men) make you look untrustworthy, dirty and generally unpleasant. Just a psychological effect I'm afraid!

Do it after summer. Not worth the hassle.

Not really... I know people with eyebrow, nose piercings etc and have no problems with employment. I know women with lip piercings too that have no hassle but when it comes to males... god forbid
Reply 29
wait till you have a job first before you get it done, it could only be a turnoff for employers, and in this climate, you just want to take any opportunity you can.
Not really... I know people with eyebrow, nose piercings etc and have no problems with employment. I know women with lip piercings too that have no hassle but when it comes to males... god forbid

Tbh mate it doesn't bother me and everyone else. It's just what SOME people think and generally those people are interviewing you.
Reply 31
Original post by Pride
wait till you have a job first before you get it done, it could only be a turnoff for employers, and in this climate, you just want to take any opportunity you can.

Suppose this is the best option...

I do recognize majority of those albums in your sig... Fightstar were awesome. What happened to them? did they split... haven't heard anything from them in years. Last thing I remember Charlie Simpson was doing some solo stuff?
Get a job as a lip piercer, there shouldn't be an issue then... :colone:
My dentist has her tongue pierced, but I don't know if that was before or after she got her job, maybe you could wait until you actually have the job, then get it pierced.
Reply 34
You are the manager and interview a load of candidates. In this economy you will get a **** load of them. First filter after cv is the first impressions upon walking through the door and lip piercing is not going to help. All you have to do is take it out for the interview? No big deal!
Reply 35
Original post by ForKicks
You are the manager and interview a load of candidates. In this economy you will get a **** load of them. First filter after cv is the first impressions upon walking through the door and lip piercing is not going to help. All you have to do is take it out for the interview? No big deal!

It will need time to heal... the interview will likely be 2 weeks after I get it pierced, if I do. Your not suppose to change/take it out for roughly 2 months
Reply 36
It will need time to heal... the interview will likely be 2 weeks after I get it pierced, if I do. Your not suppose to change/take it out for roughly 2 months

Oh, then I jut wouldn't get it pierced in the first place :smile:
You seem to know what you're talking about lol... Is it possible to get a clear retainer as the first piercing? how visible are these things

I could see my lecturers complaining about this too... I have to present work to them and the class every week, don't think they'd be too fond of it

I occasionally wear retainers (these - http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/bioplast_push_fit_labret_retainer_clear_112901087.cfm) and as long as you get the right length, they're really not very noticeable at all. If you took the end off and just wore the bar, then it'd just look like a little dimple/scar and you wouldn't be able to see that there was anything in it at all. The jewellery stays in pretty well without the ends, imo, but it's probably not a great idea for when it's still healing, or when you're eating. Or, you could get something like this, which just looks like a mole/beauty spot.

That said, I've never been questioned about my piercings at work, and never ever asked to take them out or wear retainers.

Why would your lecturers care? :s-smilie: That's just ridiculous.
Reply 38
Original post by Sakura-Chan
I occasionally wear retainers (these - http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/bioplast_push_fit_labret_retainer_clear_112901087.cfm) and as long as you get the right length, they're really not very noticeable at all. If you took the end off and just wore the bar, then it'd just look like a little dimple/scar and you wouldn't be able to see that there was anything in it at all. The jewellery stays in pretty well without the ends, imo, but it's probably not a great idea for when it's still healing, or when you're eating. Or, you could get something like this, which just looks like a mole/beauty spot.

That said, I've never been questioned about my piercings at work, and never ever asked to take them out or wear retainers.

Why would your lecturers care? :s-smilie: That's just ridiculous.

My uni internet connection is blocking those sites lol... could you post pics?

I'm an architecture student, I've never seen any other person in the my arch school with a facial piercing and the lecturers would definitely notice it/disapprove of it... maybe I'm being stupid I don't know, just a theory.. since they criticize everything we do lol
Lip piercing on a guy? ahhh cringe!

Anyway were I work the policy states having one small stud in your lip is acceptable. Although I work in fashion not food. As for M&S I have no idea but if you think about it a lot of older people shop in there and they tend to complain about facial piercings. Most of the staff I see in there are dressed smart and look very ordinary.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending