The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Lip piercing and a job?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theonelink
My uni internet connection is blocking those sites lol... could you post pics?

I'm an architecture student, I've never seen any other person in the my arch school with a facial piercing and the lecturers would definitely notice it/disapprove of it... maybe I'm being stupid I don't know, just a theory.. since they criticize everything we do lol

The ends are either 2mm or 2.5mm (iirc), so they are tiny!
The job market now is about as tough as it's been for many years. Having a lip piercing will certainly alienate some employers so I wouldn't recommend it.
Reply 42
I know plenty of people that are covered in tattoos (including one friend who has tattoos all over his hands, throat and god knows where else) and piercings who have no issues getting a job. However, I know plenty of people who are similar who get turned down because of it. I have a few facial piercings - nose, lip and a dermal near my eye and not once have I taken any of them out for an interview. Some turned me down for the job because of my piercings, some took me on for training but informed me I'd have to remove them (aside from the dermal, which can only be removed with a scalpel), and some didn't even bat an eyelid.

It's all down to the employer. I personally wouldn't recommend getting a piercing before getting a job. It could harm your chances of being employed. You'd be a lot better getting the job first and then getting a piercing rather than risk it.
You seem to know what you're talking about lol... Is it possible to get a clear retainer as the first piercing? how visible are these things

I could see my lecturers complaining about this too... I have to present work to them and the class every week, don't think they'd be too fond of it

http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/labret_retainers_437.cfm
They look like this. I have no idea how clear they are or what they look like on. You'd have to call up and ask the piercer and ask because it's really at their discretion. You might have to buy a bioplast retainer and ask your piercer to autoclave it for you if they don't have any in store. Bioplast is meant to be good for healing piercings so you *shouldn't* have any problems.

Who cares what your lecturers say? I doubt that they'll be as impolite to say anything even if they don't like it. It's your face. It's not like piercings and tattoos are rare among students. Won't they be concentrating on taking notes/listening to what you're saying anyway?
Original post by inviepop
I know plenty of people that are covered in tattoos (including one friend who has tattoos all over his hands, throat and god knows where else) and piercings who have no issues getting a job. However, I know plenty of people who are similar who get turned down because of it. I have a few facial piercings - nose, lip and a dermal near my eye and not once have I taken any of them out for an interview. Some turned me down for the job because of my piercings, some took me on for training but informed me I'd have to remove them (aside from the dermal, which can only be removed with a scalpel), and some didn't even bat an eyelid.

It's all down to the employer. I personally wouldn't recommend getting a piercing before getting a job. It could harm your chances of being employed. You'd be a lot better getting the job first and then getting a piercing rather than risk it.

Haha, yep!
Reply 45
Suppose this is the best option...

I do recognize majority of those albums in your sig... Fightstar were awesome. What happened to them? did they split... haven't heard anything from them in years. Last thing I remember Charlie Simpson was doing some solo stuff?

I know right, I think they said they'd be back. I bet they will eventually.
Advising you to get a job then get the piercing is a bit ridiculous. If the employer objects to it they can still sack you.
Reply 47
Really Depends on the job - if you working 'front of house' (waiter, shop assistant, anything that involves actually talking to customers) or in an office most places wil prefer your to look clean and professional and generally will consider facial peircings inappropriate. Same for any job in catering. However if you're working in stock rooms behind the scenes it might just be okay, but again will depend in the formality of your dress code.

Speaking from experiance though, I used to work as a waitress and in one little local cafe I was allowed to wear a nose ring, but then I went to a chain and was told I couldn't wear it to work.

I did manage to get a retainer for my nose though, which is basically a soft plastic flesh coloured stud with the tiniest ball at the end to stop it slipping out and nobody ever told me off for that.

You can buy these very cheap for lip peircings too, but bear in mind you won't be able to change your stud for at least 6 weeks. Once it's fully healed and scar tissue has formed (which could take over a year) yuo can just remove it for work and you won't have to worry about it healing up, because facial peircings do heal quickly and constantly changing the stud can make you much more prone to infection which doesn't look great when it's in the middle of your face haha. My best advice would be to have it peirced with a discrete stud and then change it to a retainer for work as soon as possible, unless of course you're allowed a stud :smile:

This is what the retainers are likeee:
http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/labret_retainers_437.cfm
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ckingalt
Some employers will not care, but most will. It's not going to help you get hired, that is almost certain.

I agree.
And in quite a few jobs, they might want you to take it out for work. This would especially be the case if its anywhere working with food (e.g. cafe's, mcd's etc etc)

Latest

Trending

Trending