Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muffin Tops.

Announcements Posted on
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any good exercises that actually work to get rid of muffin tops?

I am doing these daily.. http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/...hese-exercises

But I want an exercise to do on top of them to get rid of this nasty muffin top faster..
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Diet
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Muffin top is due to high body fat. Only way to reduce muffin top is to lose weight overall
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Staceycake)
    Any good exercises that actually work to get rid of muffin tops?

I am doing these daily.. http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/...hese-exercises

But I want an exercise to do on top of them to get rid of this nasty muffin top faster..
    Read the sticky entitled "for girls...toning" etc et the top of this forum. Then go to the Nutrition and Supplements forum and read the sticky on diet and nutrition. Follow the advice and your overall body fat will be reduced, thus reducing the size of your muffin tops.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Calculate your BMR then create a calorie deficit by taking away 300-500 from the number. This is the number of calories you should be eating to lose fat. Don't go below 1200. Your diet is the prime factor in instigating the fat loss process. Eat mostly protein and fiber; cut out all refined carbs and sugars and replace the refined carbs with wholegrains. Stay away from fizzy drinks and fruit juices. Do exercises such as HIIT every other day. Exercise isn't as important as diet, but it still is important.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Other than diet and exercise, which others have already mentioned, this might sound silly but wear clothes the right size! Just because a pair of jeans will fasten for example this doesn't mean that they "fit". Although it would make you feel better psychologically to squeeze into a smaller size, you would flatter your figure a lot more if you found clothes that fit well.. and you'd have no muffin top either!

Obviously you still want to lose weight in the long term, that's fine, but for a short term solution it can make you look SO much better. The amount of girls I see walking round in the wrong sized clothes is shocking, and it just makes them look even worse! I have a friend who is overweight, and this might sound weird but I never REALISED she was overweight because she always dressed to flatter.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had a pretty bad muffin top, but I've been going to the gym for 5 weeks now, 6 times a week doing cardio and weights and it's pretty much gone.

There's no shortcut, you need exercise.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I had a pretty bad muffin top, but I've been going to the gym for 5 weeks now, 6 times a week doing cardio and weights and it's pretty much gone.

There's no shortcut, you need exercise.
    what weights are you coing? i can't seem to get the right variety
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    Calculate your BMR then create a calorie deficit by taking away 300-500 from the number. This is the number of calories you should be eating to lose fat. Don't go below 1200. Your diet is the prime factor in instigating the fat loss process. Eat mostly protein and fiber; cut out all refined carbs and sugars and replace the refined carbs with wholegrains. Stay away from fizzy drinks and fruit juices. Do exercises such as HIIT every other day. Exercise isn't as important as diet, but it still is important.
    Surely fruit juices is better than drinking milk?

I looked at the milk I buy and it said 50 calories per 100ml while it was 2 calories or something for fizzy juice. I usually drink around 2 litres of milk a day, so that's sometimes up to 1000 calories a day on milk alone. And I eat the most out of my family as well.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxcartwright)
    what weights are you coing? i can't seem to get the right variety
    I mostly use free weights. The most important I think are bench press, squats and deadlifts as they work everything. I think the squats in particular have helped reduce my muffin top because it really works that area.

In addition to those 3 I used this site to find out what I should be doing with the dumbbells: http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/ It has pictures of all the different exercises so it's pretty easy to follow.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I mostly use free weights. The most important I think are bench press, squats and deadlifts as they work everything. I think the squats in particular have helped reduce my muffin top because it really works that area.
    That sounds like nonsense to me, care to explain?
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    That sounds like nonsense to me, care to explain?
    Squats build the muscle in that area. I know you can't spot reduce fat but since I started doing them I've noticed my jeans are looser and generally my stomach and muffin top area both look a lot better. :dontknow:
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Squats build the muscle in that area. I know you can't spot reduce fat but since I started doing them I've noticed my jeans are looser and generally my stomach and muffin top area both look a lot better. :dontknow:
    A muffin top is your gut right?

How do squats affect that area?

(and if they build muscle around there, they would make your muffin top look worse as there would be more muscle under the fat)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely the muffin top doesn't intrinsically exist? It's just if you wear tight trousers; even the thinnest person in the world can have a muffin top.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaggySnake95)
    Surely fruit juices is better than drinking milk?
    Fruit juices are absolutely terrible. They are full of sugar and do not have much protein in them. If there is one diet trick that helps it is, DONT DRINK your calories.

Milk although it does have a lot of calories, it does have protein which if you are trying to build muscle is important.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    A muffin top is your gut right?

How do squats affect that area?

(and if they build muscle around there, they would make your muffin top look worse as there would be more muscle under the fat)
    The bit just above your ass at the back.

Honestly, I don't really know a lot about exercise and lifting weights, but the guy asked me so I just stated what worked for me. My jeans fit a lot better now and I put that down to the weight lifting and cardio.

Chill out
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:

Honestly, I don't really know a lot about exercise and lifting weights, but the guy asked me so I just stated what worked for me. My jeans fit a lot better now and I put that down to the weight lifting and cardio.

Chill out
    Its the cardio that is doing it.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

Chill out
    You're doing them wrong. Squats should make your jeans tighter, with the extra thickness on the thighs and glutes.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    You're doing them wrong. Squats should make your jeans tighter, with the extra thickness on the thighs and glutes.
    I'm not doing them wrong, I looked up a load of videos before I started and I check my form in the mirror.

I'm just stating what's happened.

Geez.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not doing them wrong, I looked up a load of videos before I started and I check my form in the mirror.

I'm just stating what's happened.

Geez.
    Well maybe you had lots of excess fat in those areas to begin with :dontknow: Keep it up with heavy weight and you'll notice those jeans tighten again :ahee:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.