Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just bought myself a wholegrain Vermicelli - any suggestions on how to cook it?

Announcements Posted on
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just bought myself a wholegrain Vermicelli. Wonder what should I cook it with or anything to make it taste yummy, and at the same time, healthy =)

*can't put salt since I'm in a low sodium diet. Was thinking to put oyster sauce, but that would involve some amount of salt as well =/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it rice or wheat vermicelli?

I'm going to assume by the oyster sauce that you want something with an oriental kick - so here's a few things I like to do with all kinds of vermicelli:

1) Soup based vermicelli (with egg and tomatoes) -
    -Boil according to pack instructions
    -Half-way through boiling, add a teaspoon of oyster sauce (the sauce will blend in with the water to make a soup base, which you don't have to drink if you're scared of the sodium) into the water and chop some tomatoes to throw in
    -Whisk an egg and stir that in with the tomatoes.
    -You can also chop some spring onions into a bowl to mix with the whole thing when you're done

2) Thai vermicelli salad
    -Boil it according to instructions, drain and rinse with cold water
    -Mix 4 tbsp fish sauce, lime juice (1), 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 chopped onions and 1 shredded chilli in a bowl
    -Shred some carrots to add in
    -Toss in the noodles and garnish with coriander/mint leaves

3) Tuna vermicelli with light soy sauce
    -As you are on a low sodium diet, try switching to the lighter soy sauce which is supposed to be sweet as opposed to salty (the dark one)
    -Chop up some garlic to fry in a little oil and when golden, add the (fresh or canned) tuna
    -Add a splash of soy sauce
    -You can pour the tuna over the cooked vermicelli and then garnish with spring onions

If you need alternatives to season carbs like noodles, try buying garlic pepper and other granules in the herbs and spice section - they're so versatile
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Au_xoxo)

I'm going to assume by the oyster sauce that you want something with an oriental kick - so here's a few things I like to do with all kinds of vermicelli:

-Half-way through boiling, add a teaspoon of oyster sauce (the sauce will blend in with the water to make a soup base, which you don't have to drink if you're scared of the sodium) into the water and chop some tomatoes to throw in
    -You can also chop some spring onions into a bowl to mix with the whole thing when you're done

2) Thai vermicelli salad
    -Mix 4 tbsp fish sauce, lime juice (1), 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 chopped onions and 1 shredded chilli in a bowl

-As you are on a low sodium diet, try switching to the lighter soy sauce which is supposed to be sweet as opposed to salty (the dark one)
    -Chop up some garlic to fry in a little oil and when golden, add the (fresh or canned) tuna
    -You can pour the tuna over the cooked vermicelli and then garnish with spring onions

If you need alternatives to season carbs like noodles, try buying garlic pepper and other granules in the herbs and spice section - they're so versatile
    damn,u can come cook for me
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:

2) Thai vermicelli salad

*You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!

This is amazing! :eek: I'm very grateful! I can't wait to cook it tonight :woo:

It says rice, not wheat; is there a difference?

*wait, aren't all soy sauce dark? lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    *You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!

This is amazing! :eek: I'm very grateful! I can't wait to cook it tonight :woo:

It says rice, not wheat; is there a difference?

*wait, aren't all soy sauce dark? lol
    You're very welcome!

Well there's no significant difference, apart from texture - orientals tend to use the rice vermicelli a lot more.

Haha yes they are all dark in colour - but there is a big difference between light and dark, although I said to use the light version you still have to be careful that its referring to being lighter in salt and not some other additive. This differs between brands, so check the labels carefully! If in doubt, just stick with the general dark soy sauce.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're very welcome!

Well there's no significant difference, apart from texture - orientals tend to use the rice vermicelli a lot more.

Haha yes they are all dark in colour - but there is a big difference between light and dark, although I said to use the light version you still have to be careful that its referring to being lighter in salt and not some other additive. This differs between brands, so check the labels carefully! If in doubt, just stick with the general dark soy sauce.
    Ah, ok. I'm trying to avoid heavily processed food. That's why I bought the wholegrain one

The last time I checked, I think my oyster sauce is around 150-200 worth of sodium per serving. I need to check back though.

I think tonight I'd go with the Tuna vermicelli with light soy sauce. It sounds so :sexface:

• 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just calculated the cal: Wholegrain Vermicelli 300g == 1062cal. Wow! =O.
    Have to be careful next time =/

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.