Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving test today eeeeeeek

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bricking it. So worried I'll make a silly mistake, which would be embarrassing. Any last minute tips!?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    haha i got mine today aswell just stay calm i guess
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    this is my first and i dont even know what to expect
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Someone will look at your licence, you fill out a form if needed, read a number plate from far away and get in a car and drive like on a lesson! I thought I'd failed my first test so I just relaxed and drove as I figured there was no point trying to be perfect. I got 5 minors and passed. So my advice is try to relax

GOOD LUCK! And remember it's not the end of the world if it doesn't work out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Failed I wouldn't be upset if the mistake I made wasn't so stupid. I nearly pulled out infront of someone on this dual carriageway I've never been to before and it really confused me. But he said I would've failed any way because I was doing 40 in a 60 which i didn't realise was a 60. SO ANNOYED!!!!!
    The examiner also wasn't the nicest person in the world.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Me too, i had the worst examiner, he gave me 15 minors then in the end after engine switched of etc changed it to 17 so i fail, he said i never checked the mirrors but i did ofc, but oh well my instructor argued with him and examiner said go appeal. oh well sucks. taking my instructor with me next time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a horrible feeling isn't it :/ I did deserve to fail though, I hate myself for being so incredibly stupid. Would never have done it in a lesson! I also don't think doing 40 should've been a major, it's hardly endangering anyone. Wow your examiner sounds so nasty, hopefully you won't get him next time! Have you re-booked?
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP did you not check your right wing mirror and blindspot before getting onto the dual carriageway then? Next time stick to speed limit of wherever you are, your instructor should have taught you to always stay around 60 mph on dual carriage ways and to never slow down (imagine how much hassle you would cause drivers behind you who are sticking to the limit.) Anyway book it again and learn from your mistakes

Atleast you have a feel for what the test will be like next time.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMPUNK)
    Me too, i had the worst examiner, he gave me 15 minors then in the end after engine switched of etc changed it to 17 so i fail, he said i never checked the mirrors but i did ofc, but oh well my instructor argued with him and examiner said go appeal. oh well sucks. taking my instructor with me next time.
    My advice here is to literally turn your neck to show that you are looking at the mirror, just doing it with your eyes is not obvious enough for the examiner.

(Original post by LFS)
    It's a horrible feeling isn't it :/ I did deserve to fail though, I hate myself for being so incredibly stupid. Would never have done it in a lesson! I also don't think doing 40 should've been a major, it's hardly endangering anyone. Wow your examiner sounds so nasty, hopefully you won't get him next time! Have you re-booked?
    Doing 40 in a 60 is dangerous if there is no reason to be doing so, especially on a dual carriageway as there is only one lane to overtake in.
    For motorways/ dual carriageways, it is wise to drive near enough the max speed, so the traffic remains constant.

Seems like your instructor hasn't taught you very well if you don't know what speed to drive on dual carriageways, no offence.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't a dual carriageway! It was only a minor road, and there was hardly any traffic. All the roads I had been driving on before were 40mph, but I must have missed the NSL sign coming off the round-a-bout. There's no way I would've gone at 40 on a dual carriageway! Nevertheless it was silly of me. Won't do it again that's for sure.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LFS)
    It wasn't a dual carriageway! It was only a minor road, and there was hardly any traffic. All the roads I had been driving on before were 40mph, but I must have missed the NSL sign coming off the round-a-bout. There's no way I would've gone at 40 on a dual carriageway! Nevertheless it was silly of me. Won't do it again that's for sure.
    I nearly pulled out infront of someone on this dual carriageway I've never been to before and it really confused me. But he said I would've failed any way because I was doing 40 in a 60 which i didn't realise was a 60.
    I was refering to the incident where you pulled out in front of someone however, though it's not as dangerous to drive 40 mph on the kind of road you mentioned, you still need the abide the NSL during the test because it's the limit (regardless of how dangerous it is to drive slower, the examiners tend to take you from a 40 zone straight to a 60 zone to see if you react to the signs).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks that does make sense, just a stupid mistake. Oh well, hopefully I'll be successful next time. Will make sure I get some more practice with dual carriageways as it's clear to me now that it's my weak point - something I never would've guessed before today as I've never had a problem with them before. Thanks for your help!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It does depend on the road though.

Some of the country lanes around here are NSL but you cannot get close to that. I've driven on them so many times and you don't get any drivers trying to hit 60. There are too many sharp bends and hidden dips. Yet, the NSL signs are there. So, whilst you should try to reflect the speed limit, I think you also have to stay safe. Read the road. If doing 60 would mean you lose control and/or end up feeling like you are on some sort of sick rollercoaster lol, I would travel a little less - maybe 45-50 and possibly even slower if the road required it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.