Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

I'm back!, says Blair.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    Quoting Russia Today.

Boss.

It's hilarious how she says "Oh there were no WMD's". But could you say that at the time?

Ultimate bias.
    Well ideally you would have evidence before you invade. If you invade without evidence you can't throw your hands up and say "not my fault guys".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should be in jail for war crimes, lying to the British public and sending thousands of British soldiers to their deaths.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Should be in jail for sending thousands of British soldiers to their deaths.
    Yes as 409 (Afghanistan) and 179 (Iraq) deaths equals thousands.

Seriously if you are going to make outlandish statements at least check your facts.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    Well ideally you would have evidence before you invade. If you invade without evidence you can't throw your hands up and say "not my fault guys".
    No evidence of WMD was needed really. (nor would it be attainable if they actually were there) Saddam had it coming for a multitude of reasons.

Should be in jail for war crimes, lying to the British public and sending thousands of British soldiers to their deaths.
    Do you actually bother to check the death tolls?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest if Blair was Labour leader he would smash Cameron out of sight at the next election.
    • 98 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brandmon)
    What tribunal?
    The one in Malaysia. Read what Al Jazeera wrote, and/or watch those video clips
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    The one in Malaysia. Read what Al Jazeera wrote, and/or watch those video clips
    How can that be considered a respectable tribunal? First of all it confesses itself as being modelled after the Nuremberg trials - something that the then Allies themselves admitted as being blatantly biased in order to carry on with the De-Nazification program in Europe, while turning an obvious blind eye to similar violations committed by the Soviet and Allied armed forces. And secondly, it completely rejects the established international laws as agreed by the UN towards forming the basis of the verdict.

I hardly agree with how we went into the Iraq War - it should have been done much less unilaterally. But going around, branding people war criminals when you hardly know the meaning of the word simply makes you look silly. Especially considering the fact that Saddam Hussein had yet to answer for far worse - both in the astounding atrocities he committed against his own people and for annexing Kuwait just a little over a decade earlier.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear I did just read this as, I'm black! says Blair
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be surprised if he took a peerage now:

Lord Blair of Sedgefield
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)

It's hilarious how she says "Oh there were no WMD's". But could you say that at the time?
    The evidence presented to the House of Commons was at best doctored and at worst fabricated. Remember the suicide of Dr Kelly? That was certainly very fishy.

I'm almost certain Blair went to war because he thought it would make him more popular; Thatcher's popularity rocketed during and after the falkland war and Blair wanted some glory.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

I don't think Blair literally ordered Genocide when he invaded Iraq, so why should he be jailed for war crimes?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's pointless to call Bush or Blair a war criminal. It's also pointless to debate the legality of the Iraq war. You aren't prosecutors. You don't have access to all the necessary documents, you don't have access to the evidence that they had and whether under those circumstances they were justified in invading. And you haven't even heard and refuted the argument presented that attempts to show why the Iraq war is legal.

I see this case akin to a police officer who made the call to go into a Mafia's leaders mansion and arrest him that ended up in a gun shootout and officers killed as well as members of the Mafia's members and some innocent bystanders that got caught in the middle. I like to place Bush one of the top of the police ranking. If it is found out that he manipulated evidence then that doesn't necessarily imply that Blair was in the wrong. You have to prove that Blair knew Bush manipulated evidence which would be kinda impossible as would be proving Bush manipulated evidence.

It's a complicated matter and simplistic posts calling for them to be classed as war criminals do no one any good. Anyway, the Iraq war has taught us a special lesson on the effects of a full-force invasion of sovereign nations. Even though I believe a good humanitarian argument could be made to show that the Iraq war did good, I don't believe humanitarianism is enough to justify the amount spent on the war, those trillions could have equally saved millions of American's lives.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    ...I can't really believe the amount of irrational hatred on this site for the guy. He was a fine leader.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    The evidence presented to the House of Commons was at best doctored and at worst fabricated. Remember the suicide of Dr Kelly? That was certainly very fishy.

I'm almost certain Blair went to war because he thought it would make him more popular; Thatcher's popularity rocketed during and after the falkland war and Blair wanted some glory.
    Evidence to support that claim?

"Thatcher's popularity rocketed during and after the falkland war and Blair wanted some glory."

Be realistic: she wanted that war to promote patriotism, that island technically belonged to Britain.

You can't compare apples with oranges.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brandmon)

I hardly agree with how we went into the Iraq War - it should have been done much less unilaterally. But going around, branding people war criminals when you hardly know the meaning of the word simply makes you look silly.
    My thoughts exactly, on this matter.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    My thoughts exactly, on this matter.
    what.....that skepta did beat devilman in LOTM?

old news brah
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    what.....that skepta did beat devilman in LOTM?

old news brah
    :K::boring:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Taxes.

Hmm.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    Evidence to support that claim?

"Thatcher's popularity rocketed during and after the falkland war and Blair wanted some glory."

Be realistic: she wanted that war to promote patriotism, that island technically belonged to Britain.

You can't compare apples with oranges.
    She didn't go to war to become popular, but it was a desirable (if not totally unexpected) side effect. I guess that even if she though she would be hated for it she would have done it, she was after all a very principled individual.

It boosted her government's popularity enough for there to be conspiracy theories that she organised the war with argentina. As well as being thought as the saving grace of her first term as Prime Minister. Here is an abstract to an article. The full article is (I think) kicking around for free if you have an athens password.

Blair obviously assumed Iraq would do the same for him. Fortunately, the majority of the British public were either apathetic to goings on in the gulf or against it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.