Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

car modded

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my car down to the body shop in a few minutes to have the back bumper sorted.

Now I also want to ask them to modify the front grill. At the moment, it looks very... Micra like. I photoshopped the grill, cutting out the middle bits, and added a mesh behind and it looks tonnes better, so wanted them to do that.

Now, surely for a purely cosmetic change, I wouldn't have to say to my Insurer; Oh... its modified? It's not exactly modded is it?

It would essentially go from this:

to this:

I just think it gives it a bit more... zest.

If all else fails, I will just be getting the back bumper sorted, but I'm just itching to make changes to the car.
    My next investment would have been on a 57i induction kit, but that would probably certainly modify the insurance, even if again, it's mostly for no performance gain what so ever.

EDIT:

Just on phone to the insurance company to make sure. I can always wait until my next renewal in August I guess

EDIT 2:

Hmm, First Central Insurance, who I am with, don't allow any form of mods it looks like, either aesthetic or otherwise. It wouldn't be covered. Neither would an induction kit.
    That's a shame
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    sorry to tell you this but if anything the 57i is going to decrease the performance, and make the car noisy.

Putting mesh behind the grill you can do yourself....you just buy the mesh, cut it to size and stick it, no point in paying someone to do it for you.

Personally I would keep the badge on, especially important for when you come to sell the car. You're not gonna get much for it if they think you're a boy racer.

In all honesty, I would save my money so in a year or two I could buy a better car. If you really did want to make changes I would look first at things like tyres, brakes and suspension. That's where you'll notice a lot of difference, then look at engine upgrades. Subtle mods that would keep the car looking more or less orginal but give you considerble better handling, making the car more fun to drive.

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/induction-kits.php

this explains it.

With regards to the air filter, not sure of the exact setup on your car, but the best bet is putting in an aftermarket filter panel so you can just clean that rather than replacing when you service the car, and buy/make a cold air induction system for the existing air box.

Putting in the 57i is just going to increase the temperature of the air going into your engine, thus lower oxygen content and less power.

With the money saved by not going down the 57i route you could look at a sports exhaust system, maybe decat.

Stay away from the boy racer back boxes.

That's all my opinion though
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers

Well I have bad news for my Micra and I'm not sure what to do

When my mum reverse crashed my car into next doors caravan attachment on their car, I thought it had just cracked the bumper, and all that would need doing is that replacing.

Turns out the damage is far worse, even though she wasn't going all that fast.
    The boot doesn't close properly because she has actually jutted in the back end completley, the metal and everything.

When I took it to get looked at, he couldn't even remove the spare wheel without a lot of force because the metal is crumpled in so much, so that explains why the boot wouldn't open/shut properly! The damage was below where I could see from the main boot compartment.

Damages? Were talking £550 (if the back/floor panel is knocked back into place) -£750 (if I get a new back/floor panel)

I don't know what to do now My dad says he'll go halves with the £550 because she caused it, but it'd be coming out of his pension money, and I don't honestly know if I can do that.

I only paid £1200 for the car 2 years ago almost, in the first place, but the engine has only done 12500 miles. Its a good runner.
    But with that, and the service it needs doing on the gear stick/gears, etc, its going to cost a lot more than I initially thought.

Thanks about the induction kit information. I just really like that sound it made when I took off the filter and gave it a bit of gas. I could essentially buy a cone filter and put it in the back box and gain the same kind of sound without the price though.
    Plus I guess it depends where the filter is getting its air from/where its placed.

But forget about the mods for the minute... I just don't know what to do to get my car good, stock
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by persov)
    Putting in the 57i is just going to increase the temperature of the air going into your engine, thus lower oxygen content and less power.
    Just fit a cold air feed?

Fitting a sports exhaust wont do much either if you don't change the air induction to accommodate it.

OP, join an owners forum for your car? They will usually have loads of helpful advice about stuff like this.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    Cheers

Well I have bad news for my Micra and I'm not sure what to do

When my mum reverse crashed my car into next doors caravan attachment on their car, I thought it had just cracked the bumper, and all that would need doing is that replacing.

Turns out the damage is far worse, even though she wasn't going all that fast.
    The boot doesn't close properly because she has actually jutted in the back end completley, the metal and everything.

When I took it to get looked at, he couldn't even remove the spare wheel without a lot of force because the metal is crumpled in so much, so that explains why the boot wouldn't open/shut properly! The damage was below where I could see from the main boot compartment.

Damages? Were talking £550 (if the back/floor panel is knocked back into place) -£750 (if I get a new back/floor panel)

I don't know what to do now My dad says he'll go halves with the £550 because she caused it, but it'd be coming out of his pension money, and I don't honestly know if I can do that.

I only paid £1200 for the car 2 years ago almost, in the first place, but the engine has only done 12500 miles. Its a good runner.
    But with that, and the service it needs doing on the gear stick/gears, etc, its going to cost a lot more than I initially thought.

Thanks about the induction kit information. I just really like that sound it made when I took off the filter and gave it a bit of gas. I could essentially buy a cone filter and put it in the back box and gain the same kind of sound without the price though.
    Plus I guess it depends where the filter is getting its air from/where its placed.

But forget about the mods for the minute... I just don't know what to do to get my car good, stock
    sorry to hear that. When did this happen?
    In all truth I would be asking my mum for all the money to repair it. By the sound of things she was at fault. What about insurance?

Depending on what needs replacing you can usually pick up parts quite cheap at a scrapyard or from eBay when people break up their cars for parts. Might bring the costs down a bit.

What's up with the gearbox?

Really shouldn't run the engine without the filter, don't want to risk crap getting in.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know; I only revved it for 30 seconds or so stood still without one.

It happened about 2 months ago, but only just gotten it looked at. I just don't know what to do.

I want my car to still appear new. Its not got much mileage, so it would be a shame to throw bad parts on it.

My dad sourced a bumper for it though without consulting me, costing £60 but we took that to the garage today, and as I thought, their are tonnes of scratches on it as it simply got delivered. To get it sorted and then to paint it would cost more than fitting a new bumper they said. I agree. It looks terrible, and didn't think it would be worth saving.

As for the gears. The actual gear stick's spring has snapped, so it doesn't spring back into place anymore. If you shake the gear stick, or leave the engine at idle, you can hear a metallic rattle. It happened at the same time as it wasn't like that before the crash.

I would want her to pay for all of it, but they will only pay half, and that is coming out of my dads pension fund. I just, gahhh!!!!

I am actually part of a Micra forum, but I have no real questions to ask, but a cold air feed is what I thought the 57i did, as it comes with hoses etc rather than just a cone filter?

EDIT:

Got another appointment somewhere else tomorrow hopefully, so will see what they quote
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's the problem with crumple zones - they crumple, even in low speed crashes. They're not designed to be strong. Financially your best bet is probably to either sell or part out the current car and replace it. Alternatively it may still pass the MOT, depending on the severity of the crash, so you could just continue to run it as is (obviously the cheapest option). Best to ask the garage's opinion on it though, as they can assess the damage which we obviously can't. To me it wouldn't make sense to spend that much money on a car with little residual value. As for trying to keep it looking new, makes no sense to me! It's a 10? year old cheap hatchback, not a rare classic, but it's your car and your money! Though I don't quite see how keeping the car looking like new fits in with modding, especially with a bit of chicken wire! Anyway, I know first cars are often special but you might want to be objective about it, especially if money's tight.

Oh and whoever said something about hot air having less oxygen in it, the density of air changes with temperature, the composition doesn't.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks CurlyBen. The car is important to me, as yes, it is my first car.
    Even though it only cost me £1200, the car itself is worth more than that, or at least, was.

It may be a 10 year old car, but the engine has only done 12500 miles. That is nothing. It could last me ages. Certainly a few more years, and I'm not done with it yet.

Not sure if the damage wouldn't pass the MOT or not, but you certainly can't put the spare wheel back in its holder. That is for sure, but I have been driving it for 2 good months with the boot not properly locking, though it won't fly open either.

Hopefully the appointment tomorrow on "mates rates" will surpass the other garage.

I do like my Micra though. It is a good reliable run about, and is certainly fast enough for my first car, especially in the lower gears. If you put your foot down, it does try its best to go.
    The induction kit is just something I wanted as an extra to make it sound that little bit better. Plus, it helps the engine in the long run, especially if I'm doing motorway driving, which I do do.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Oh and whoever said something about hot air having less oxygen in it, the density of air changes with temperature, the composition doesn't.
    Yeah, so for a given volume of air, the colder it is the more dence, hence the more oxygen molecules, so the better it is in terms of performance.

Hence why just fitting an induction kit over stock sometimes reduces performance, because the stock airboxes usually sheild the air intake from the heat under the bonnet. If you have an induction cone filter and no box to prevent hot air getting in and no cold air tubing the engine is going to be getting hotter air than it would out the factory, less oxygen for combustion.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    Thanks CurlyBen. The car is important to me, as yes, it is my first car.
    Even though it only cost me £1200, the car itself is worth more than that, or at least, was.

It may be a 10 year old car, but the engine has only done 12500 miles. That is nothing. It could last me ages. Certainly a few more years, and I'm not done with it yet.

Not sure if the damage wouldn't pass the MOT or not, but you certainly can't put the spare wheel back in its holder. That is for sure, but I have been driving it for 2 good months with the boot not properly locking, though it won't fly open either.

Hopefully the appointment tomorrow on "mates rates" will surpass the other garage.

I do like my Micra though. It is a good reliable run about, and is certainly fast enough for my first car, especially in the lower gears. If you put your foot down, it does try its best to go.
    The induction kit is just something I wanted as an extra to make it sound that little bit better. Plus, it helps the engine in the long run, especially if I'm doing motorway driving, which I do do.
    No, that's not a lot of mileage, but it's still fundamentally a fairly old hatchback and other bits will deteriorate with age (steel, seals etc.). I'd get a realistic valuation of the car, then figure out what it's worth to you. Unless you replace the panels the car will lose a bit of value (though probably not £200) but I'm surprised they're only quoting £200 difference for a new panel and presumably respray. If the damage is that bad I'd be surprised if it will still pass the MOT, in which case it's probably worth most in bits (as most cars of that age are). However, that's a lot of work, takes a while to realise the money and you'll still have to get rid of the shell and any bits people won't buy off you.
    Anyway, I'd suggest looking at what you might replace it with and what you might get for it as is and see what the difference in price is, but remember it's nothing special at the end of the day.

Yeah, so for a given volume of air, the colder it is the more dence, hence the more oxygen molecules, so the better it is in terms of performance.

Hence why just fitting an induction kit over stock sometimes reduces performance, because the stock airboxes usually sheild the air intake from the heat under the bonnet. If you have an induction cone filter and no box to prevent hot air getting in and no cold air tubing the engine is going to be getting hotter air than it would out the factory, less oxygen for combustion.
    I spent a lot of time looking at supercharging and intercooling as part of my degree, I know what the effects of air density are! The way you'd written it before implied, to me at least, you thought the composition of air changed with temperature.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    True, but I have already replaced for example the front bumper after I crashed it into my wall, when I had only had the car a few months.
    By the time I'm done, all the panels will probably be brand spanking new... That repair cost around £250 to fix at the time.

Yeah that is right, but to be honest, if I got another car, I'd want something a lot more powerful, and I just wouldn't really have the money for that anyway. At least fixing this, the car can still be on the road.

I'll just have to also get it looked at all over tomorrow, to check if anything is about to go, and if so, how much they would cost to fix once that happened. Then I guess I can survey.

I just don't want to get rid of it, as it has done me well so far. I don't think I'll find another car that has done less mileage than mine, second hand at least, and wouldn't know my options either.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

If you get the decent K&N kits like the one I have, they have a heat shield and rubber on the top which gives you a cold air feed. You just have to spend £300 for the privilege! Mods that give performance cost money.

Whatever happens, a K&N on a Micra will do nothing because the engine has nothing to give.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    True, but you can't deny if the engine is working hard, more air getting to the engine can't be a bad thing.
    The extra noise the engine makes when the filter is off, goes to show how much extra air is being forced through to be combusted.
    So much deeper, and meaner.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a video of the damage anyway. Sorry about the length. I tried to show it as quickly as I could.
    Also show the gear stick clanging, due to the broken spring below, and the failing of me opening the door haha:

http://youtu.be/JRs64fRj86s
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It'll buff out

Being serious, that's significant damage but not horrendous (from what we can see). I don't know the panel layout on a micra but the bottom of the unibody is damaged and that won't be replaced, only straightened, which may affect the value (all depends on how diligent the buyer is!). I'm not sure it would be an MOT fail but I wouldn't want to drive it long like that. Are you sure there was no undetected damage from the front end prang? I wouldn't take that into account when working out whether to keep the car - it's happened and been paid for and doesn't increase the value of the car. It's not like a cambelt where it would need doing anyway so might tip the balance in favour of keeping the car. Anyway that's a decision you need to make, but I'd suggest you don't get too hung up on mileage when looking at possible replacements. In some ways old low mileage cars are not a good sign - short journeys and possibly poor maintenance are common.

Oh and the engine in a Micra, even without the filter, is about as mean as a teletubby!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You want to modify a Micra? Really?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it will probably knock out, but I'm sad the damage is there at all, and you can certainly see where its also been pushed on the floor of it too
    As for selling it, it's if I would in the end. Most things leave our house too damage to really use again from some cause to another.

If my mum had waited 5 more minutes for me to come downstairs, she wouldn't have gotten into the car and tried to reverse it anyway.
    She crunched the gears 4 or 5 times trying to get into reverse first of all, and then didn't break once she had accelerated.

Going to another appointment tomorrow though to see what they say.

The way it is though, you can't fit the spare wheel back in to where it went. I'm surprised the spare wheel isn't burst with the amount of force that was pressing on it. It probably stopped it from going any further in than it did.

As for other damages, I don't think so but I'm going to get it checked over. The gear stick started making that noise straight after the crash. I noticed that as soon as I powered the car on and tried to put it into gear. It's apparently a common fault though with the spring going but odd that it happened at that moment.
    Plus, I lost a tail light I replaced straight away due to the shock. It was litterally cloudy inside so definetly dead. Not clear like the rest were.

I really do want a faster car, but thought this would push me into my insurance at least a few years to drop prices for when I get a better car.

I'd be sad to see it go, considering I haven't really had it that long, and its pretty new in the engines respect.

Cheers for the responses.

+ Yes, I wanted to modify the Micra. I personally like the car, and there are modification sites for the Micra specifically. You can do some things to them, but I wouldn't get too many gains from my 1 litre engine. It's only really worth doing big modifications to the 1.3 litre model, but I could certainly make it sound better.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Beat it out yourself with a hammer untill it's straight.
    It's not worth a carrot now so you might as well just run it into the ground if it's still in good nic mechanically rather than throwing a load of cash at it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Beat it out yourself with a hammer untill it's straight.
    It's not worth a carrot now so you might as well just run it into the ground if it's still in good nic mechanically rather than throwing a load of cash at it.
    It's honestly not worth anything now? So that crash completely toasted it for anyone else?

You see the video?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    It's honestly not worth anything now? So that crash completely toasted it for anyone else?

You see the video?
    Sorry, but it was only worth around £700 quid before it got mullered.
    Once a car reaches about 10 years old it's come to the end of it's life as a *general* rule.

If you want to tidy it up a bit, find a bumper the same colour and swap it over yourself. The boot floor can be beaten out of a club hammer. Should be able to do it yourself for about 50 quid inc parts.

I saw the video, yes.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.