Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why am I not losing weight?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014

Help me someone please, I cant see what I'm doing wrong.

So I weighed myself on the 23rd April and I was 65.9kg (that's like 145 pounds)

Ive been counting every calorie, and eating about 1300-1500 calories a day. There have been a couple of days I ate about 2100, but considering my activity, that shouldnt be a catastrophe.

I exercise about 3 times a week for about an hour, and walk to and from lectures and town - I walk everywhere. That's at least an hour walking everyday, often more.

Normally when I do this, the weight drops off, at about a kg (2lb) a week, but this morning I was 65.7 kg (still 145 lb)

soooooo frustrating! I don't even feel thinner or anything.

Ive had a special k bar today, walked for about an hour because I had a lecture, and I literally dont want to eat anything. I don't want to starve myself, but I want to lose weight!! Feel fat fat fat.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you mind telling us what you normally eat for every meal and how you exercise? that might help us give some tips i'm trying to lose weight too!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Are you spending your calories on healthy food?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's worth keeping in mind that just counting calories does not necessarily promote weight loss.

I have a friend who was on a 1200 calorie diet, and ate daily a macdonalds meal that was 1100 and a cereal bar. She didn't lose weight because she a) put her body into starvation mode and b) wasn't getting the nutrients she needed.

Try combining all the exercise with a slimming plan like Slimming World. It lets you eat lots of the things you'd normally eat, but cuts out fatty foods, meaning you're not counting calories daily and putting your body under unnecessary stresses and strains.

Yep. I normally eat late, or not at all for breakfast, depends how busy my morning is. Something like a bowl of fruit and yoghurt, or grilled cheese, always with some kind of fruit like a kiwi or something.

If I have that for breakfast, I have a small lunch, like soup or something.

Dinner is my biggest meal, it's when I'm most hungry. So I have a massive salad or bowl of veg alongside a small/medium portion of whatver - pasta, casserole, cous cous and chicken.

I hardly snack but if I need some sugar I'll have some chocolate or fruit. Drink loads of tea and coffee without sugar and diet coke.

I count every calorie, and aim for 1300 - yesterday I had had 1300 the day before and by evening I was starving so I had some grapes. Some GRAPES. Which brought yesterday up to 1500-ish.

It's not bad, is it? Never get greasy takeaways or eat crisps or anything.

Also, I weigh quite a bit, and am tall (5'8''), so my daily calorie needs are always quite high. this is why normally, when I even restrict to 1500, as long as I'm out and about, I lose weight quite quickly.

But not now?! It's not a mistake with the scales, Ive been weighing myself in between the time I said and it's been hovering at the same

I'm definitly getting nutrients - I really like healthy food, especially cooked meals. Snacks are probably my downfall, I love chocolate and cakes and things but Ive been denying myself!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Generally I follow this rule:

Breakfast like a king. Lunch like a prince. Dinner like a pauper.

I eat a fat free fry up every morning (bacon, no fat, two vegetarian sausages, scrambled egg/beans, mushrooms)

I have a substantial sized pasta meal for lunch (never use jar sauces for these things, they are full of horribleness!) then rice cakes and cream cheese or something similar for tea.

By doing it this way your body has more chance to burn off the calories you are consuming, whereas eating in the evening gives you less opportunity.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    At 5'8'', a weight of 145lbs is perfectly fine. So your calories really don't need to be so low. Are you sure you NEED to lose weight at all?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your weight fluctuates quite a bit during the day, if you have been drinking a lot of water or after a meal before stepping on the scales it's going to say you are heavier.

(Original post by hr30)
    Generally I follow this rule:

Breakfast like a king. Lunch like a prince. Dinner like a pauper.

I eat a fat free fry up every morning (bacon, no fat, two vegetarian sausages, scrambled egg/beans, mushrooms)

I have a substantial sized pasta meal for lunch (never use jar sauces for these things, they are full of horribleness!) then rice cakes and cream cheese or something similar for tea.

By doing it this way your body has more chance to burn off the calories you are consuming, whereas eating in the evening gives you less opportunity.
    Surely this and the other post you made aren't right? I know there are nutritional and portion and timing issues in diets, but fundamentally, it comes down to the basic biology - the calories eaten vs the ones burnt off

I dont eat a lot of breakfast because a) i never have time to sit down and properly enjoy the meal, b) Im never hungry, so why force myself to eat, when I know Ill be hungry in the evening but have to deny myself and c) I much prefer dinner/lunch kinds of foods to breakfasty food, so would rather have more of what I like.

Appreciate your posts, but I could never have rice cakes for dinner!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your BMI is 22 - it's perfect. With all that exercise it's probably all muscle too. Are you male or female?

I'm sorry, but you sound like you might be developing an eating disorder - weighing yourself after a week, strictly counting calories to the extent that you are unsure about grapes and constantly feeling you are fat are not healthy traits. Please don't let this get too far. Make yourself a healthy meal plan, allow yourself the occasional treat, and keep exercising and I guarantee you won't get fat. Don't be afraid to see your GP if it gets too much.

I'm willing to bet you don't believe me, but I'm genuinely only trying to help you stay healthy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Eat a good breakfast (I have porridge and sliced banana)
    Lunch could be a chicken wrap (no mayo) and some dried fruit, a yoghurt
    Dinner you could try grilled chicken and steamed veg.
    Snack during the day on nuts and seeds and dried fruit, try and eat an apply too.
    And drink PLENTY of water- switch your tea to green tea if you can.
    As for the exercise, incorporate weights too. When doing cardio, try high intensity training with recovery so your body can rest for 60 seconds then reallllllly get your heart going.
    If you're not sweating when you leave the gym then you're not working hard enough! Same for weights, if your arms/legs/back/chest aren't aching then you need to go up a weight/increase your reps.
    Good Luck!

Disclaimer: I understand this won't work for everyone. This is what worked for me. I lost just over 2 stone by changing my diet, and almost another 2 stone by joining the gym. Any questions, feel free to ask, but don't tell me i'm wrong because 4 stone didn't "fall off me"

(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    At 5'8'', a weight of 145lbs is perfectly fine. So your calories really don't need to be so low. Are you sure you NEED to lose weight at all?
    Yes I do, trust me

BMI isn't always a great indicator, anyone would agree I could do with losing some weight - it mostly goes to my stomach and face not attractive. I only want to lose about 10lb. I have been below my goal weight before and everyone says I looked better :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Surely this and the other post you made aren't right? I know there are nutritional and portion and timing issues in diets, but fundamentally, it comes down to the basic biology - the calories eaten vs the ones burnt off

I dont eat a lot of breakfast because a) i never have time to sit down and properly enjoy the meal, b) Im never hungry, so why force myself to eat, when I know Ill be hungry in the evening but have to deny myself and c) I much prefer dinner/lunch kinds of foods to breakfasty food, so would rather have more of what I like.

Appreciate your posts, but I could never have rice cakes for dinner!
    It is suggested that a big breakfast kick starts your metabolism, and by eating something sweet at breakfast you satisfy the cravings for the day, stopping you from snacking later. There's something I can't remember about affecting hormones which are most potent after sleep and which increase the efficiency of fat burning (I'm not a biologist, I can't remember the exact details!)

Also, if you began to eat less in the evenings, once into a routine, you would be hungry when you woke up in the mornings because you had eaten less the night before?

It's just a suggestion, its worked for a lot of people I know. It depends how serious you are about dieting - if you're not willing to give up certain foods your diet is less likely to work.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you eat more than you burn or around the same you'll stay the same weight. Simple.

If you are going to lose weight it takes time, maybe even a year for physical effects. People moan that they arent losing weight after a week...well that is way too fast and it should be gradual. If you are strict on your diet and exercise you will lose weight but it takes time. There is no miracle way to lose it.

Also if you are drinking a lot of tea or coffee, they have a lot of calories in even without the sugar. Take a glass of orange...close to 250calories. Drinks contain a lot of calories so just drink water. Also it is better to eat your biggest meal in the morning and have like 5 small meals throughout the day to stop you from snacking and keeps your metabolism higher. And if you are still hungry...drink water! Most of the time you are dehydrated and not hungry.

Worst thing to do is to restrict your food ridiculously or just not eat. You will lose weight but you will look horrible as you have no vitamins and minerals.

(Original post by Piprod01)
    Your weight fluctuates quite a bit during the day, if you have been drinking a lot of water or after a meal before stepping on the scales it's going to say you are heavier.
    Always first thing in the morning, after shower.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do, trust me

BMI isn't always a great indicator, anyone would agree I could do with losing some weight - it mostly goes to my stomach and face not attractive. I only want to lose about 10lb. I have been below my goal weight before and everyone says I looked better :rolleyes:
    but apparantely bmi of 22 is optimal, from a quantative perspective u shud simply maintain ur mass atm

I know I'm within good BMI, and my goal weight is closer to underweight, so I'm probably healthy weight-wise, but whats so bad about wanting to look better?

I'm doing it for mainly aesthetic purposes, because at a lower weight I looked a lot better, and therefore felt better about myself and could wear all sorts of clothes without having to worry that I looked fat when I sat down etc. Im not aiming to be unhealthy, so why is it bad to change my weight even if I'm not unhealthy now?

So please everyone stop telling me I don't need to lose weight! Like I said, I look a bit chubby, and you can't see me so you have to take my word for it. I want to look less chubby, not CONCAVE, just less fat. That's all I want!

I'd like avice on how, not whether to lose weight please
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, if you don't eat within 2 hours of waking up your metabolism just slows down therefore you burn off calories slower! You need to have a balances diet, a third of your meals should be atleast fruit/veg, a third should be something filled with protien and then the other 1/3 should be smething carby i.e brown rice, new potatoes, something to give you an energy source then you have healthy extras such as about 250ml of semi skimmed milk for calcium and then some fibre foos i.e wholemeal bread!

Also, an hour of walking only burns about 200 cals xxx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm within good BMI, and my goal weight is closer to underweight, so I'm probably healthy weight-wise, but whats so bad about wanting to look better?

I'm doing it for mainly aesthetic purposes, because at a lower weight I looked a lot better, and therefore felt better about myself and could wear all sorts of clothes without having to worry that I looked fat when I sat down etc. Im not aiming to be unhealthy, so why is it bad to change my weight even if I'm not unhealthy now?

So please everyone stop telling me I don't need to lose weight! Like I said, I look a bit chubby, and you can't see me so you have to take my word for it. I want to look less chubby, not CONCAVE, just less fat. That's all I want!

I'd like avice on how, not whether to lose weight please
    Water levels vary a lot, so if you really have stuck to those calorie limits you may well have actually lost a little bit of fat, but weighing yourself after only a week or so makes it hard to tell - I wouldn't worry about it.

Keep quite rigidly to the 1300-1500 calories and the three times a week exercise and in the long term you should be fine .

'Starvation mode' is greatly exaggerated, also your body doesn't care when you eat (say if you eat your dinner at 9pm instead of 5pm, you may not burn it off that evening, but while you were waiting to eat you were burning fat, so it makes no difference.) Same sort of thing with eating smaller meals more often, if it helps you eat less overall by feeling less hungry then that's fine, but it really doesn't matter a great deal if you eat 3 meals or 6.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 10, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.