Why am I not losing weight?

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    You hit a plateau
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the small meals crap, it's what you have in a 24hr period that matters.

Read these; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123915821 , http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136691851
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Yes it is.

But clearly you don't know how to use it.

Again, total bullpoop.

http://www.realsimple.com/health/nut...385/page2.html

"Food intake has a negligible effect on metabolism. Some foods, including those with caffeine, may slightly and temporarily increase metabolism, but the effect is too small to help you lose weight. What most affects your basal metabolic rate (BMR), the rate at which your body burns calories at rest, is body composition and size."

“The notion [of high meal frequency] has been put into question by the recognition of a high level of dietary underreporting in overweight individuals. In addition, no difference in total daily energy expenditure has been documented as a function of daily meal number. Weight loss is not facilitated by high meal frequency. Snacking in obese subjects is associated with higher energy and fat intake.” - France Bellisle, Scandinavian Journal of Nutrition, 2004 edition.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=small+frequent+...etabolism+myth
    Ok, however, what we can agree on is that eating frequent small meals (low GI carbs etc) will keep energy levels consistent and stop crashes which leads to cravings for sugary carbs.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a girl.

I don't gym, I go for a run outside (alternate between walking/jogging). Really prefer outdoor exercise to gyms :erm:
    I always do this first thing in the morning, before eating anything. Then I eat something carby.

K, so I will:

-have breakfast
    -cut the diet coke
    -eat at least 1500 every day
    -move as much as I can, but until exams end, I really can't do any exciting activities. It'll have to be powerwalking and jogging every 3 days or so. Is that ok? (for now).

Yeah but it's not just how many calories you consume, it's WHAT you consume. There IS such a thing as 'bad calories' if only in the sense that those 'bad calories' come from bad food, the calories themselves arent bad (As they're just energy) but the other stuff that comes with it...Fat, sugars, etc...

Exercise is only 40% of the weight loss really but to achieve full results you can't go without. You can trim back a little bit with a better diet, as I said in my post above, but if you're strict with your diet and eat healthily, not only will it help you focus when revising but you'll see a bit of weight go too. (PS: I know how you feel about not wanting to 'waste' time exercising as I have exams in a month too, but it's actually a good way to release a bit of stress even if it's for a half hour)

For now, your idea is fine. Just keep the diet good
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cut the diet coke? No. http://examine.com/faq/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you.html
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you're doing just fine as you are. Keep eating a healthy balanced diet, so long as you are in a routine that works for you. You've probably just hit a plateau, and you have to remember that healthy weight loss takes patience.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Treadmill. Work on the bits you want to burn off too?

Healthy eating as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In fact, intermittent fasting is better for metabolism then '6 small meals' 16hrs no eating 8pm-12pm followed by 8hr eating period where you get all your macros in this slot. But most importantly, do you want to carry tupperware with your teeny weeny meals? Pfft, NO! Most important thing is hitting your macros.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: right, ok.

But I'm asking about my diet/exercise here, not seeking the go-ahead to lose weight from people who can't see me. I'm not going to think 'oh right, tsr tells me I'm a good weight, I'll ignore what I see in the mirror and forget about lowering my weight to a level where I feel so much more comfortable in my skin and have more confidence'.

If you actually wanted to help, please do. If not, telling me I have mental problems isn't going to change my mind about anything.
    If you really want my help then watch my weight loss videos www.youtube.com/XenaGlamRocker

I've lost 60lbs so far.

Though I've gone from obese to normal....so ya know...I needed it. You're wanting to go from normal to almost underweight, so quite how much help my videos will be to you I really don't know.

They're there for the watching though. Can't really do much more than that - people are already giving you written advice on here.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razorfin)
    In fact, intermittent fasting is better for metabolism then '6 small meals' 16hrs no eating 8pm-12pm followed by 8hr eating period where you get all your macros in this slot. But most importantly, do you want to carry tupperware with your teeny weeny meals? Pfft, NO! Most important thing is hitting your macros.
    Any evidence to back this up? Find it hard to believe
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Help me someone please, I cant see what I'm doing wrong.

So I weighed myself on the 23rd April and I was 65.9kg (that's like 145 pounds)

Ive been counting every calorie, and eating about 1300-1500 calories a day. There have been a couple of days I ate about 2100, but considering my activity, that shouldnt be a catastrophe.

I exercise about 3 times a week for about an hour, and walk to and from lectures and town - I walk everywhere. That's at least an hour walking everyday, often more.

Normally when I do this, the weight drops off, at about a kg (2lb) a week, but this morning I was 65.7 kg (still 145 lb)

soooooo frustrating! I don't even feel thinner or anything.

Ive had a special k bar today, walked for about an hour because I had a lecture, and I literally dont want to eat anything. I don't want to starve myself, but I want to lose weight!! Feel fat fat fat.
    Sorry if you don't have time to read this properly, you have had loads of responses. I just wanted to say though don't be disheartened, the worst thing you can do is cut back loads because trust me, I've bee there a million times before, you WILL snap and eat loads of crap until you feel better again. Just keep going, you're doing it right, it will happen it might just take some time
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubus)
    but apparantely bmi of 22 is optimal, from a quantative perspective u shud simply maintain ur mass atm
    BMI uses mass to work out it's figure. It doesn't take into account that some people have more fat that muscle, and others more muscle that fat. Muscle is more dense that fat.

BMI isn't really a good indicator of fitness, and even if you are within the "healthy" range, it doesn't mean you are in good shape(but I'm not denying that if you are in the healthy range, you could be at top fitness).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried HIIT? Seriously when I went through a cutting phase with a clean diet I lost so much fat in a short amount of time. The food you are eating seems pretty clean so maybe just give it time. For a better view stop weighing yourself so frequently and work out your Body Fat Percentage. Much better indication, unless you are actually trying to lose WEIGHT and not fat?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl.

I don't gym, I go for a run outside (alternate between walking/jogging). Really prefer outdoor exercise to gyms :erm:
    I always do this first thing in the morning, before eating anything. Then I eat something carby.

K, so I will:

-have breakfast
    -cut the diet coke
    -eat at least 1500 every day
    -move as much as I can, but until exams end, I really can't do any exciting activities. It'll have to be powerwalking and jogging every 3 days or so. Is that ok? (for now).

Also, how tall are you?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maxima)
    Have you tried HIIT? Seriously when I went through a cutting phase with a clean diet I lost so much fat in a short amount of time. The food you are eating seems pretty clean so maybe just give it time. For a better view stop weighing yourself so frequently and work out your Body Fat Percentage. Much better indication, unless you are actually trying to lose WEIGHT and not fat?
    THAT. (HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training... BAsically sprint as fast you can for 30secs, walk for 30 secs, sprint as fast you can for 30secs, walk for 30 secs... repeat for 20mins or so)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hr30)
    Always eaten things like that for breakfast, no weight/cholesterol problems so I dunno...
    not yet, but these things will harm your health in the long run

(Original post by goussberry)
    Yeah but it's not just how many calories you consume, it's WHAT you consume. There IS such a thing as 'bad calories' if only in the sense that those 'bad calories' come from bad food, the calories themselves arent bad (As they're just energy) but the other stuff that comes with it...Fat, sugars, etc...

Exercise is only 40% of the weight loss really but to achieve full results you can't go without. You can trim back a little bit with a better diet, as I said in my post above, but if you're strict with your diet and eat healthily, not only will it help you focus when revising but you'll see a bit of weight go too. (PS: I know how you feel about not wanting to 'waste' time exercising as I have exams in a month too, but it's actually a good way to release a bit of stress even if it's for a half hour)

For now, your idea is fine. Just keep the diet good

I don't understand your first paragraph. Surely calories aren't separate to fats etc. - you make out that they're somehow 'attached' to them. Calories come from the digestion of the larger blocks (fats, starch, proetein) surely? So fats are broken down into lipids, protein into amino acids, carbs into sugars etc. and they all just release units of energy (calories). Fats providing the most energy, then protein and carbs. Or so I remember from a level biology

In any case, lets not get too scientific; I agree that a balanced and varied diet with a lot of protein keeps you satisfied and less likely to binge - i know that from experience!

(Original post by abc:))
    Sorry if you don't have time to read this properly, you have had loads of responses. I just wanted to say though don't be disheartened, the worst thing you can do is cut back loads because trust me, I've bee there a million times before, you WILL snap and eat loads of crap until you feel better again. Just keep going, you're doing it right, it will happen it might just take some time
    Course I'm reading it, it's providing good revision breaks! Appreciate all the helpful replies

Yes, I've been there before too, then I have massive binges. But Ive not been doing that for a while now. Guess I have to be patient, I just feel like I've been denying myself and feeling really hungry especially late nights but not eating, so it's difficult to see no difference, as impatient as that might seem after nearly two weeks.

(Original post by goussberry)
    Also, how tall are you?
    5'8''
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand your first paragraph. Surely calories aren't separate to fats etc. - you make out that they're somehow 'attached' to them. Calories come from the digestion of the larger blocks (fats, starch, proetein) surely? So fats are broken down into lipids, protein into amino acids, carbs into sugars etc. and they all just release units of energy (calories). Fats providing the most energy, then protein and carbs. Or so I remember from a level biology

In any case, lets not get too scientific; I agree that a balanced and varied diet with a lot of protein keeps you satisfied and less likely to binge - i know that from experience!

Yeah that was very badly phrased I'm sorry haha. (and here I am about to go off studying English Language...awkward moment when I can't even use it right haha). Basically a calorie is a unit of energy, all the same, but if those calories are not burned off then you'll put on weight/not lose weight (IE maintain) which is what happens when you don't exercise enough/eat too much ****

Yeah you're right about the sciencey bit, but if you discontinue providing your body those fats to digest into lipids, eventually you start to lose the weight. I can't possibly explain how in science terms, I'm speaking from experience. My best guess at a science explanation would be it results in a calorie deficit larger than usual!

To be honest, people who are on a serious mission to lose weight and KEEP it off have to make lifestyle changes - not "diet" changes, which implies a goal after which they can stop "dieting." If you really wanna keep off that weight, make the appropriate adjustments that you think you can stick with if it doesn't work that's ok, turn it a different direction and try that route... but remember, weight loss takes some time to start effect and the biggest change is at the start, then it slows down and eventually plateaus as you probably know. Then when that happens you have to work a little harder when running/make another small adjustment to your diet.

After your exams end tho I would suggest joining a gym if your budget allows, as you don't wanna end up "skinny fat" and gyms tend to have the necessary equipment to tone up & whatnot

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 10, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.