Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to wake up fresh

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on

Any tips on feeling alert in the morning? Whenever I get up for school I feel tired and groggy :/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Think to yourself you only need 7 hours sleep at night and just say you wont be tired in the morning. It's surprising that it works but if you go to bed negative...you won't want to get out.

An alarm works well too...put it at the end of your room so you have to get out to switch it off.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's more to do with your general health, if you eat well and do a bit more moderate exercise per day, it'll do wonders for your sleep. I always get a good rest if I've been active and not ate crap during the day
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I get home at 11.15pm most nights after work, so I give myself an hour to "wind down". I have a shower, have a got vimto or something and get in pyjamas and ring my boyfriend for a bit. Then I fall asleep and wake up at 7am feeling amazing.
    A lot of it is practise- just get yourself into a routine

Thanks, any more suggestions?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Another thing is if you make up in different parts of the sleep cycle you feel better or worse. If you're in a fairly light REM sleep you'll make up fresh but you're in a NREM deep sleep and the alarm wakes you you'll feel groggy and tired.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    DEFINATELY get off computers just before bed. Too much strain on the eyes. Wind down for 30 minutes doing something without computer screens, whether that's reading or taking a shower or just chilling out.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Try and sleep in 90 minute intervals. The average sleep cycle is 90 minutes so waking up at the end of the cycle will allow you to wake up feeling more refreshed than if you had woken up in the middle of a cycle.

To assist you with this, sleepyti.me is a website that calculates when to go to bed based on a waking up time, or when to wake up based on what time you fall asleep.

Bare in mind when using the above website that it gives you 14 minutes to fall asleep as this is the average time taken for an adult to fall asleep. If you take longer or less, make sure to factor that in to your times.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been using this and it seems to work so far
    It calculates the best time for you to go to sleep by counting backwards in sleep cycles..
    have a look

http://sleepyti.me/
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Subscribing to this thread - always feel like crap in the morning!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't immediately get out of bed. Stay rested with your eyes closed until your grogginess subsides (this is assuming you are well-rested).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you're well hydrated. Apples are apparently good wake up food but this probably goes for other fruit too.

If possible have a quick shower in the morning, definately wakes me up.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you have an iphone, download an app called "Sleep Cycle" and use it as your alarm. It wakes you up when you're sleeping lightly, so you wake up feeling really alert.

I was sceptical but I've actually found it to be really good!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    double expresso works wonders in perking me up
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Any tips on feeling alert in the morning? Whenever I get up for school I feel tired and groggy :/
    Splash your face with cold water and have a shower in the morning. Also drink a glass of water when you first get up.

Make sure you go to bed when you get tired at night, but don't force yourself if you aren't. Get up at the same time every morning.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)

Make sure you go to bed when you get tired at night.
    This.

I used to stay awake long after I got tired thinking that I could get more done on the comp or whatever but you just wake up feeling rubbish the next day. Its better to get up early and go to bed sooner imo. A lot of it is to do with will power and getting into a routine.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im awful at waking up, thinking about investing in one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Wake.../dp/B002BA5FB6
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The obvious solution, and the most effective, and healthy, is to get enough sleep. Feeling groggy in the morning is due to not getting enough sleep...

If you find it hard to get more sleep then you can try some of the suggestions above...but remember that sleep cycles have an average of 90 mins, it's very hard to try and judge when you are not in a deep sleep. I don't know if that app works.

But yeh, get more sleep.

(Original post by Gary Barlow)
    Im awful at waking up, thinking about investing in one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Wake.../dp/B002BA5FB6
    Opening my curtains helped...but it doesn't really work in the winter
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Health is the main thing. Drink plenty of water, lay off the alcohol (but you're at school, so...), eat plenty of fruit & veg. Have a routine.

Also, keep a clean & tidy room. You'll feel so much better waking up to a clean place than a ****hole.... Believe me!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some people have longer sleep cycles than others. No matter how much i try i will always verge to sleep late and wake up late. Weekdays i'll probably chug through with about 4 -5 hours sleep a night then catch up on the weekend. I wake up and feel tired but it wears off by the afternoon and then i can't sleep at night til around 1 - 2am.
    Opposite from the rest of my family. My mum and sister wake at 7 - 8am everyday and are in bed by 10, naturally they can't get their head around why i just dont go to bed earlier.

Its been getting worse since i moved to uni and have a dark room, which stays dark on the morning, hence why i think that light alarm clock my do the trick.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.