The Student Room Group

Anyone got on to a slt(speech&lang therapy)

course via an Access course?

I,m wanting to start an Access course this year with a view to doing an Undergrad degree in Speech and therapy language.

Can anyone talk to me about their experience? Did you manage to get on an SLT course, did the Access study prepare you well? Am I being unrealistic at aged 41
wanting to study at degree level at all:smile:.

Any advice would be welcome.
There was a lady on Yougo about your age who got on to SLT at Wolverhampton.

No idea if she did Access though.
Reply 2
Thankyou for the reply Sunrise.
Reply 3
If you haven't already, your first stop should be to speak to admissions people about what they want, they may have other little requirements such as a GSCE in a foreign language or something. Which access course are you doing? Some universities are more science based so depending on your access course you might not fulfil this requirement. Read the threads on speech and language therapy entry, nobody I remember had done an access but it does give you an idea of what experience people had both academically and volunteering wise (the earlier pages are more useful for this than the end ones) Have you considered open university - either to bolster your access or as stand alone? 41 isn't too old, by the time you graduate you'll be 45/6 and will still have 20 years of work left.
Original post by kungfuwhat
course via an Access course?

I,m wanting to start an Access course this year with a view to doing an Undergrad degree in Speech and therapy language.

Can anyone talk to me about their experience? Did you manage to get on an SLT course, did the Access study prepare you well? Am I being unrealistic at aged 41
wanting to study at degree level at all:smile:.

Any advice would be welcome.

About a third of the mature students on my course got accepted with an Access to Healthcare course, the oldest of which is 50, so don't let your age hold you back!
Reply 5
Many thanks for taking the time to answer. The Access course i want to do (in HE) is accepted by BCU and DMU (with conditions).
I would only be able to apply to these two, as i have a family and am "stuck" geographically to the Midlands.
(They both sound fantastic courses btw).
I'm a long way off, I have applied to two Bham FE colleges(one has a Jan intake, the other is Sept), but i have noticed how so many have said how quickly time goes when your studying!
I wish all of you the best of luck in your studies, and once again, thank you for taking the time to answer.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest