The Student Room Group

“I am always humbled in the presence of warriors.”

“I am always humbled in the presence of warriors.” Those are the words of Captain Pete Van Hooser (SEAL) during a memorial service for fallen SEALs on July 8, 2005. Those words were introduced into the U.S. congressional record.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/R?r109:FLD001:s-smilie:09430

“Being a soldier is just another job.” Those are the words of countless TSR users throughout the last year in which I have been a member.

Being a soldier is very much a job. It is often an unpleasant one, but it is a job nonetheless. We would not have a volunteer army without a fair salary. I do not intend to argue that point. So where does the “just a job” sentiment go wrong? Let me fix the TSR quote to make it more accurate.

Being a soldier during peace time is just a job. Being a Soldier in war is a sacrifice, no matter what salary they receive.

Most students, especially the ones that perceive themselves as intellectuals, are naive and arrogant at the same time. That is an absurd combination of traits. Their failure is that they permit a contempt for war to cloud their judgement. They choose to judge soldiers by the motivation for their service, instead of understanding the value of their experience. Students struggle with the value of experience, because they have none.

“Not all soldiers are heros.” This statement is very true as well. Still, there are certainly more heros in a barracks than in a dormitory. Perhaps it is just a matter of circumstance, or perhaps there are more subconscious factors at play. I don’t really care. What I know is that war is terrible. It is an uncommon experience. Those that emerge with their lives, minds, and character in tact, often emerge with a conviction and credibility that is uncommon.

I have served as a soldier, and I have also been recognized as a scholar. I value both sides of my persona. I feel blessed in regards to the company I have been able to keep. I can tell you that my experiences with intellectuals have left me stimulated and informed. My experiences with soldiers have left me inspired. Appreciation and gratitude for our soldiers is not an endorsement for war.

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think my struggle with the glorification of the armed forces is that it assumes a level of responsibility on the part of the troops which simply doesn't exist. Whether a soldier fights for a just cause or an unjust one is not his decision - it is the decision of his country's leadership. The idea of giving up responsibility for one's actions makes me deeply uneasy, particularly when those actions are likely to have fatal consequences. You describe being a soldier in war as a 'sacrifice' but when the sacrifice is not one you have chosen, where is its meaning? It's all reliant on a 'my country right or wrong' attitude.

There are plenty of positives about military service, but there isn't any escaping the fact that a serving front line soldier makes the decision that, should they be instructed to do so, they will attempt to kill a human being regardless of their own feelings on the matter. And that worries me.
You speak with that odd combination of arrogance and lack of critical sense that seems to be the particular provender of Americans.

Whilst I agree with some of your sentiments in some fashion I find your delivery distasteful and galling.

"recognised as a scholar", "you're all naive and arrogant" etc...I just...oh....just...nevermind.
Reply 3
Original post by The Lyceum
You speak with that odd combination of arrogance and lack of critical sense that seems to be the particular provender of Americans.

Whilst I agree with some of your sentiments in some fashion I find your delivery distasteful and galling.

"recognised as a scholar", "you're all naive and arrogant" etc...I just...oh....just...nevermind.

You misunderstand me a little. I am arrogant, but all I am saying is that I possess credentials for both distinctions. However, your criticism is valid and appreciated. Regards,
Reply 4
Original post by Chumbaniya
I think my struggle with the glorification of the armed forces is that it assumes a level of responsibility on the part of the troops which simply doesn't exist. Whether a soldier fights for a just cause or an unjust one is not his decision - it is the decision of his country's leadership. The idea of giving up responsibility for one's actions makes me deeply uneasy, particularly when those actions are likely to have fatal consequences. You describe being a soldier in war as a 'sacrifice' but when the sacrifice is not one you have chosen, where is its meaning? It's all reliant on a 'my country right or wrong' attitude.

There are plenty of positives about military service, but there isn't any escaping the fact that a serving front line soldier makes the decision that, should they be instructed to do so, they will attempt to kill a human being regardless of their own feelings on the matter. And that worries me.

Original post by The Lyceum

I would agree with these posters.
Reply 5
There are few people in society I have more respect for than those prepared to lay down their lives for this country.
Reply 6
Original post by ckingalt

Being a solider during peace time is just a job. Being a Solider in war is a sacrifice, no matter what salary they receive.

You haven't really thrown an argument behind this, you've just made a statement and are telling us it is true.

Most students, especially the ones that perceive themselves as intellectuals, are naive and arrogant at the same time. That is an absurd combination of traits. Their failure is that they permit a contempt for war to cloud their judgement. They choose to judge soldiers by the motivation for their service, instead of understanding the value of their experience. Students struggle with the value of experience, because they have none.

I love this one. There is a good proverb that explains that one can live long and experience nothing, but live short and experience a great deal. For a nice example, if I spend my entire life in one environment, I have not 'experienced' anything outside of that environment. A person can go from birth to death never leaving a relatively similar environment. Likewise, a person can live more in 10 years than someone else can live in 50. Making the generalisation that no students have any experience is flat out wrong. Many do not, true. But many do.
'Wisdom is not a product of age, it is a product of doing more than simply living'.

Also you assume that experience then entitles individuals to respect, but thats a different argument all together. I hope you don't mean that though.

“Not all soldiers are heros.” This statement is very true as well. Still, there are certainly more heros in a barracks than in a dormitory. Perhaps it is just a matter of circumstance, or perhaps there are more subconscious factors at play. I don’t really care. What I know is that war is terrible. It is an uncommon experience. Those that emerge with their lives, minds, and character in tact, often emerge with a conviction and credibility that is uncommon.

Are there? Lets take a few steps back and analyse what a 'hero' is shall we? A hero is somebody who faces great adversity in any form, not just someone who fights in a battle. A girl who works part time as a waitress on minimum wage whilst studying as a student at a local college in order to put more than bread on the table for her mum is not a hero? A gay couple coming out to the world, much of which is still very hostile to them. Are they not heroes? What about somebody who struggles with depression every single day, but still manages to keep a smile on their face for their friends and family. Are they not a hero? How about the man who ripped his leg tendon in the 200 meter sprint at the Olympics, his father came to help him and together they finished the race. Are they not heroes? In truth, there are heroes everywhere. We just don't see them.

There is a lot more to being a 'hero' than just fighting in a war.

I have served as a solider, and I have also been recognized as a scholar. I value both sides of my persona. I feel blessed in regards to the company I have been able to keep. I can tell you that my experiences with intellectuals have left me stimulated and informed. My experiences with soldiers have left me inspired. Appreciation and gratitude for our soldiers is not an endorsement for war.

Building on my point above. It takes more than just fighting in a war to be a warrior mate. A good deal of people in the armed forces are better trained, better equipped and have a far greater chance of surviving combat than the people they are fighting against. They are more likely to see their families again than any Taliban fighter. It is easier to be brave when the adversity you face is not so nearly as big a threat. In truth, Warriors exist on all sides everywhere. They exist in dorms, they exist on the street and yes, they exist on the battlefield, but not in the numbers that you imply. Do not idealise soldiers and accept that, like in all walks life, the real heroes are the ones you do not see. And those are soldiers and civilians alike.

Look at this website for infinite amounts of real world heroes.

http://www.givesmehope.com/
Reply 7
Original post by Chumbaniya

I think that's an oversimplification of the Rules of Engagement under which all Forces [certainly UK Forces] operate. In a warzone it's simply not the case that you're instructed to kill. You're instructed to take whatever actions necessary in order to prevent someone coming to harm, to clear a building, to free a hostage, etc etc. If you can deter someone from attempting to kill another by simply showing up and being a presence - expending no ammunition in the process - then that's what you do. A 'Show of Force' has become a common effect in recent conflicts.
Saying that the order is "to kill" is a crude and sounds somewhat ignorant of what it is that goes on.
I am going to add something to this thread. The assumption behind what you have written is that in order to understand what it is to be a solider is to have been to war. What you fail to recognise is that you don't have to be a solider to have been to war, you don't have to be in the army to have seen death, blood and gore, you don't have to have toured Afghanistan to know the pain of sacrifice, to know what it's like for someone's death to have resulted from your actions.

War is fought by civilians as much as by the army, those caught in the cross-fire, those continuing to live whilst their loved ones die, and those who do their job, and walk through the doors of hospitals everyday.
Reply 9
War and death is a very small part of Army life. Most of it is about stuff like being told that 28 people have used your hair clippers to shave their pubic hair.
Original post by Drewski
I think that's an oversimplification of the Rules of Engagement under which all Forces [certainly UK Forces] operate. In a warzone it's simply not the case that you're instructed to kill. You're instructed to take whatever actions necessary in order to prevent someone coming to harm, to clear a building, to free a hostage, etc etc. If you can deter someone from attempting to kill another by simply showing up and being a presence - expending no ammunition in the process - then that's what you do. A 'Show of Force' has become a common effect in recent conflicts.
Saying that the order is "to kill" is a crude and sounds somewhat ignorant of what it is that goes on.

It's an oversimplification, yes, but it is still the case that a soldier will be put into fatal combat against people he makes no judgement about beyond knowing that he's been told they are the enemy. A soldier does not get to make a choice about who he fights, and it's absurd to suggest that people join the army without accepting that they may end up killing people for reasons that are not their own.

I'm not making a point about being explicitly told to kill, I'm making a point about killing as a result of orders regardless of one's feelings on the matter.
It. Is. Spelt.

S O L D I E R

If I see "solider" one more time I might just hang myself.
Reply 12
Original post by Ocassus

There is a lot more to being a 'hero' than just fighting in a war.

Building on my point above. It takes more than just fighting in a war to be a warrior mate. A good deal of people in the armed forces are better trained, better equipped and have a far greater chance of surviving combat than the people they are fighting against. They are more likely to see their families again than any Taliban fighter. It is easier to be brave when the adversity you face is not so nearly as big a threat. In truth, Warriors exist on all sides everywhere. They exist in dorms, they exist on the street and yes, they exist on the battlefield, but not in the numbers that you imply. Do not idealise soldiers and accept that, like in all walks life, the real heroes are the ones you do not see. And those are soldiers and civilians alike.

Look at this website for infinite amounts of real world heroes.

http://www.givesmehope.com/

I never suggested there were not many heros outside of war. Here is an example from today's news.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/03/attorney-for-christian-pastor-on-death-row-in-iran-reportedly-sentenced-to/?test=latestnews

I think to say "all a hero needs do is face adversity" cheapens the title. According to that definition there is a hero on every street. That may be a nice sentiment but you are making the idea of a hero a common thing. Perhaps that is your intention. :rolleyes:

I am arguing semantics but you would label me a hero five time over. I don't presume to place my deeds as equal in conviction, courage, and sacrifice to Mohammad Ali Dadkhah, or his client Youcef Nadarkhani. Those two men are heros, not myself, or a student/part time waitress, or a gay couple. All those people may exhibit admirable traits, but to me hero should mean something more than that. It requires more than just character. It also requires the right circumstance and a choice. It just so happens that an environment of war is more likely to produce such a circumstance than most.

The point of the op was not to suggest that only soldiers are worthy of the title. The op was a retort to those who wish to dismiss their worthiness as irrelevant because "they are doing a job." More people in wartime have proven themselves as worthy of the title than those of us living in relative security. The distinction may be a matter of circumstance, but it is no less profound.
I agree- with reservations- with the sentiments expressed in the OP. However:

-I find the notion that war is an uncommon experience to be a slightly odd one, when in fact war is a daily reality for millions of people. I agree that heroism, sacrifice and the other positive attributes you describe are perhaps more likely to be prevalent in challenging situations (such as a conflict) but I presume you must therefore be extending this to civilians as well as soldiers? And is there really any evidence to suggest that 'uncommon conviction and credibility' is more likely to be found among the populations of post-conflict countries? I've been to former warzones and I can't say that I've noticed the people to be much different from those in neighbouring countries with no history of war.

-A member of my immediate family is currently somewhere in southern Afghanistan (Lashkar Gah I think), at a small forward operating base very much within the conflict zone where he provides essential support to the military's IT and Communications systems. However- he doesn't wear uniform as he is a civilian contractor working for a major IT company. Arguably, he faces more risks than many of the uniformed personnel who remain firmly within the heavily guarded and secure Camp Bastion, but according to your logic they will be regarded as 'heroes' making a 'sacrifice' by virtue of their uniforms and guns whereas he isn't. I have a friend (from a country near to Afghanistan) who works at Bagram as a contractor- living in worse conditions than the American troops and ultimately facing the same dangers (as those troops who never leave the base). He's in it for the money to support his family back home and to pay for a university education- arguably similar motives to many of the American troops whose work his labour helps support.

All three people- my family member, my friend, and the soldier (who doesn't leave the base)- are in broadly the same situation, and all three are being paid for their services- what is it about the uniform and the gun which makes the soldier 'heroic' and the others not?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Before I start I'll say that I have three members of close family; brother, dad and cousin, that all serve or had served.

While I do have a great respect for people in the armed forces, I do think the term 'hero' is thrown about far too much. People in the armed forces, especially infantry, know exactly what they are signing up for; and in many cases sign up for the reason of being in fire fights. Now, that being said, they understand the circumstances that they may find themselves in while at war, but simply being involved in fire fights doesn't constitute them into a 'hero' category.

While many die, and I know this might seem a harsh thing to say, that doesn't necessarily make them a hero, does it? I mean if they were on patrol and were shot, or blown up by an IED, they were just out doing their job. However, there are some exceptional cases, individuals that, while out in battle, put their own lives on the line to save another's; be it a comrade or a civilian.

I also would have to say that, from the view of my cousin who's in 3para and done two tours of Afghan, the majority don't like the term because they don't view themselves as a hero.

On a side note though, my brother loves using the term to pick up chicks, the little whore.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15

I think to say "all a hero needs do is face adversity" cheapens the title. According to that definition there is a hero on every street. That may be a nice sentiment but you are making the idea of a hero a common thing. Perhaps that is your intention. :rolleyes:

It cheapens the title does it? Do you think being a 'hero' is a golden badge of honor? An object of prestige that must be protected? Tell me, do you believe heroism to be an exact, objective exhibition of struggle? Surely you are aware that struggles are entirely relative to who we are as human beings? A marathon runner would not struggle to run a kilometer, but a clinically obese man would. A man who is innately headstrong and brave is not necessarily as brave as a coward who forces himself to face his fear. Its when we do things that are otherwised percieved, both by us and others, that the truth of heroism comes out. A soldier is not a hero insofar as he has been conditioned to exist in that environment, they are trained to perform that role. He is not a hero by virtue of being a soldier, he becomes a hero, like anyone else can, by overcoming an adversity which defies the apparent means in which we can act.
Heroism IS a a common thing, stop tying it to some abstract idealisation of an objective struggle, but instead look at it through the eyes of each and every individual. We are all unique, and therefore all of our actions cannot be judged the same. In the same way, if a man gives a £100 to charity when he only takes home £200 a week it means more than a man who takes home £2000 a week also giving a £100.

I am arguing semantics but you would label me a hero five time over. I don't presume to place my deeds as equal in conviction, courage, and sacrifice to Mohammad Ali Dadkhah, or his client Youcef Nadarkhani. Those two men are heros, not myself, or a student/part time waitress, or a gay couple. All those people may exhibit admirable traits, but to me hero should mean something more than that. It requires more than just character. It also requires the right circumstance and a choice. It just so happens that an environment of war is more likely to produce such a circumstance than most.

True heroism is modest. You are proud of the result of your actions as a hero, not of the action itself, otherwise it is just plain selfishness. Your statement that I would consider you a 'hero five times over' paints to me the image of somebody who is not a hero. A hero does not do things for the sake of recognition, nor would he even acknowledge those deeds to someone else to provide a loose fitting argument.
People are heroes in different ways, you seem to only think heroism occurs when death is a threat. Don't be so naive. No, as I have said before, people who are conditioned to war know how to deal with war. Its the people who DON'T know how to deal with something but pull through anyway who are heroes. Those that defy the odds.

The point of the op was not to suggest that only soldiers are worthy of the title. The op was a retort to those who wish to dismiss their worthiness as irrelevant because "they are doing a job." More people in wartime have proven themselves as worthy of the title than those of us living in relative security. The distinction may be a matter of circumstance, but it is no less profound.

No, they haven't, stop pulling idealised bull**** out of your ass for a second. As I have said before, on the criteria which heroism is judged there are hundreds of thousands of millions of silent heroes all over the world. That already outnumbers every military organisation in the world. However, not to say there are no heroes in the military. In the military, in the same manner, great adversity and what seems like obstacles one can never overcome exist, and the people who do succeed are the heroes. But it is certainly not as many as you believe it is.

-Yours a Young Staff Sgt
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Ocassus
It cheapens the title does it? Do you think being a 'hero' is a golden badge of honor? An object of prestige that must be protected? Tell me, do you believe heroism to be an exact, objective exhibition of struggle? Surely you are aware that struggles are entirely relative to who we are as human beings? A marathon runner would not struggle to run a kilometer, but a clinically obese man would. A man who is innately headstrong and brave is not necessarily as brave as a coward who forces himself to face his fear. Its when we do things that are otherwised percieved, both by us and others, that the truth of heroism comes out. A soldier is not a hero insofar as he has been conditioned to exist in that environment, they are trained to perform that role. He is not a hero by virtue of being a soldier, he becomes a hero, like anyone else can, by overcoming an adversity which defies the apparent means in which we can act.
Heroism IS a a common thing, stop tying it to some abstract idealisation of an objective struggle, but instead look at it through the eyes of each and every individual. We are all unique, and therefore all of our actions cannot be judged the same. In the same way, if a man gives a £100 to charity when he only takes home £200 a week it means more than a man who takes home £2000 a week also giving a £100.

True heroism is modest. You are proud of the result of your actions as a hero, not of the action itself, otherwise it is just plain selfishness. Your statement that I would consider you a 'hero five times over' paints to me the image of somebody who is not a hero. A hero does not do things for the sake of recognition, nor would he even acknowledge those deeds to someone else to provide a loose fitting argument.
People are heroes in different ways, you seem to only think heroism occurs when death is a threat. Don't be so naive. No, as I have said before, people who are conditioned to war know how to deal with war. Its the people who DON'T know how to deal with something but pull through anyway who are heroes. Those that defy the odds.

No, they haven't, stop pulling idealised bull**** out of your ass for a second. As I have said before, on the criteria which heroism is judged there are hundreds of thousands of millions of silent heroes all over the world. That already outnumbers every military organisation in the world. However, not to say there are no heroes in the military. In the military, in the same manner, great adversity and what seems like obstacles one can never overcome exist, and the people who do succeed are the heroes. But it is certainly not as many as you believe it is.

-Yours a Young Staff Sgt

As I said before, we can argue in circles about semantics all day long. You have your definition and I have mine. Our experiences and our perspectives are relative. That is how the human experience works. If everyone is a hero then nobody is a hero. The more common something is regarded the less special it becomes. Call the five year old who spells his name correctly a hero if you wish. It will not make the child more heroic, it will make the title insignificant.
Reply 17

Being a soldier during peace time is just a job. Being a Soldier in war is a sacrifice, no matter what salary they receive.

Yep. It's a shame they're sacrificing their lives for the profits of oil corporations, huh?
Reply 18
Original post by HJFSS
Yep. It's a shame they're sacrificing their lives for the profits of oil corporations, huh?

Yes, because the Afghanistan oil fields have been so affected by the past decade....
Original post by CJM13
It. Is. Spelt.

S O L D I E R

If I see "solider" one more time I might just hang myself.

solider

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending