The Student Room Group

“I am always humbled in the presence of warriors.”

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ckingalt
I have no issue with either post here. I may disagree to some level but I have respect nonetheless. The point of my post is to target/challenge a certain group on TSR which harbors such contempt for war ideologically that they display complete contempt for soldiers as well. They are so arrogant in their assertions of morality that they can't conceive that they may me wrong or that decent people may disagree with them. Their sentiment depends on the belief that soldiers are ignorant, brutes, who only serve because they are to dumb to pursue any other option. I would have them read this thread and also this.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1833255

I may not be the average amongst my armed forces colleagues but I am far from the best they have to offer. I have served in Iraq and Afghanistan and never did I do so mindlessly.

fair doos i get it now and i agree
i dont think people should see soldiers as the cause/driving force fo war
Reply 61
Original post by zedeneye1
lol, these "heroes" are funded by tax payer money...

consider this :

A student:

-pays 9000 pounds per annum, does part time jobs and blah blah blah to get a decent education which would contribute to building a better UK...in a way, students are paying for these wars

Really? Guess I forgot the point where students paid any tax, beyond VAT.

which now we know are COMPLETELY POINTLESS.

Pointless to you, maybe, but that's not the same thing as actually pointless.

A soldier:

pays NOTHING

Except many had previously been students, so paid fees.

gets free food

No they don't, they pay for it.

free education

Subsidised education, and only to a point.

free everything

Oh how vague. And utterly wrong. Housing costs them money. Uniform costs them money. Getting to work costs them money. Travel anywhere costs them money.

plus salary

What, the student from your other example doesn't get paid for their work?

loads of benefits...

Everybody is eligible for loads of benefits. Whether or not they take them is up to the individual and how much they can be arsed. Not my fault you're lazy.

Goes to battle without thinking if he's actually being a good human or not

Oh, joy, more crass generalisations. You know all 300,000+ servicemen to know none of them think, do you?

he just blindly puts faith in the leadership without questioning them and thats EXACTLY what they are taught, not to question their seniors, EVER...

Clearly never been in the Forces yourself, that's nothing like what they're taught. Being that unengaged is dangerous.

Now some would argue that soldiers put their lives on the line....well, equipped with the world's latest technology, jets, helicopters, much better training, blah blah blah against stone aged people equipped with $hit is not exactly a match fair enough for british/american soldiers to call themselves "heroes"...

Really, their lives aren't on the line? Whether you agree with the cause or not it takes a very special kind of stupid to think that it's not dangerous.
And no sane serviceman ever refers to himself as a hero. I've known some very highly decorated people, the last person they'd call a hero is themselves.

Students learn to build their country, soldiers go out to third world countries to destroy other countries.....

Ah, to live in your world where everything is binary. Must be so simple. So when our soldiers went to stop genocide in Kosovo we were 'destroying 3rd world countries', were we? When we used the military to deliver tens of thousands of tonnes of aid to SE Asia after the Boxing Day tsunami we were destroying third world countries? When we spent time and money building dams and hydroelectric power stations in Afghanistan, not to mention hospitals and schools, we're destroying the country?

Go away, you pathetic little ignorant tool.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by ckingalt

I certainly agree with the premise that you can value soldiers, and the sacrifices that they make, without being in favour of whatever war/conflict that they are engaged in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending