Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does everyone want to do banking

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I mean after everything that has happened, does everyone still want to be in finance and why? The industry is villified by politicians and bonuses aren't as high anymore. Almost reminds me of this:

http://wheninfinance.tumblr.com/post...job-at-goldman
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most other jobs are even more boring and you don't work with the same calibre and diversity of people.

[i'd quite like to know why people seem to disagree with the notion that banking is international and has smart people working in it]
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    money
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeybusiness123)
    I mean after everything that has happened, does everyone still want to be in finance and why? The industry is villified by politicians and bonuses aren't as high anymore. Almost reminds me of this:

http://wheninfinance.tumblr.com/post...job-at-goldman
    those pictures aren't legitimate, they are obviously different people.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    :lol: are you that much of a noob, that you can't pick up the message which the picture is trying to convey?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    LOL!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Money and the diversity of work
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Even if the salaries aren't as high as they used to be, they're still higher than most other jobs.

Also it is considered to be an intensive corporate environment that can groom you into 'leaders' and all that jazz. Exit ops are appealing, having a stint at an IB on the CV is good for future career, even if the future career is non-finance related.

In fact many people go into IB with every intention to leave and go into the field they actually wanted to work in all along, but use their IB experience to command higher salary/seniority etc. Some people also do it as a kind of proving ground to showcase how good they are so that they can say they've been there and done that.

But obviously most of it is because of the Benjamins.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Besides being a partner at a top law firm, a surgeon or an engineer working for NASA no careers come close to being an ibanker.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facdroit)
    Besides being a partner at a top law firm, a surgeon or an engineer working for NASA no careers come close to being an ibanker.
    actually met a guy who did intern for NASA and then went into banking cause it was more interesting
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    actually met a guy who did intern for NASA and then went into banking cause it was more interesting
    Defo.
    Knowing you're responsible for multi billion deals that affect thousands of people is really something else.
    Also possible millionaire at 30 doesn't hurt either.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL. You're the biggest ****ing tool/clueless user I've ever come across on this forum!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Money
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are in it only for the money, then I dont see how you can survive for too long.
    There are rounds of redundancies every 6 months and if you arent good at your job, you are done.

Dont get me wrong, money is important, but for me banking is appealing, because everyone involved likes to work hard, is driven and wants to get **** done. From previous experience at non-banking jobs, most companies arent that way and people feel miserable.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most people dream to go banking, some actually do an extra meaningless in my opinion Masters in their field. Though it does show interest but like everyone would say, doing a degree doesn't mean everyone will get a job in banking.

Like everyone of us, we all want security but at the same time, how many of you's will step on someone's back or many people's back to get something?

In the name of greed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zalachenko)
    LOL. You're the biggest ****ing tool/clueless user I've ever come across on this forum!
    ...yet
    Without knowing you or looking you up I know I'm closer to landing the dream IB job than you are.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    Pussy Money Weed
    If that's all you want, wouldn't it be a lot easier to be a drug dealer?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ...yet
    Without knowing you or looking you up I know I'm closer to landing the dream IB job than you are.
    HAHAHHAHAHAH. So you admit it? Wow.

Dream job? Oh boy, if you knew what you're signing up for.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zalachenko)
    HAHAHHAHAHAH. So you admit it? Wow.

Dream job? Oh boy, if you knew what you're signing up for.
    your a dumass, the commas i move and the tables i align on these bellion dollar deal$$$ make me super important
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    your a dumass, the commas i move and the tables i align on these bellion dollar deal$$$ make me super important

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.