Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 AQA B Eng Lang - Child Acquisition

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference between Assimilation and Deletion?
    They seem like the same to me... Have I missed something?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Deletion deletes a sound (cat - ca, or banana - nana).

Assimilation substitutes one sound for another that already exists within the word e.g. rabbit - babbit or yellow - lellow.

Substitution on its own is just a swapping of one sound for another.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing this on monday?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am and I'm dreading it. Do you have any tips because its our schools first year doing English Language for A level and I already failf the AS paper because we were taught the wrong things. Anyway i did it again in January and passed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry I think everyone is!

For both acquisition and change my advice would be to make sure you structure your answer around the data and let this lead you to some sort of point or conclusion - don't just list the features that you can see.

It is always important to consider the wider context - for language acquisition look at what the child is doing (more for spoken language) and how this may affect their use of language. Confidence, power, play, schools, talking to adults - all of these may have an effect. Once you have made a point about the child's development, e.g. "this shows that social interaction is pivotal in the child's linguistic development" - here is where you want to support your statement with a theorist e.g. Bruner.

With language change, it is much harder to fit theories in, but one really good way to show you're aware of the wider context is to consider how and why the text was produced - who was it aimed at? Did the language change due to the intended audience? Alongside all the other many, many influences. :|

Basically, your essays need to go somewhere. Structure is key for AO1 marks. Like AS, use frameworks to help you - phonology, grammar, orthography... AS theorists are also applicable

I'm sure you know this anyway, sorry if I went on a bit!

Which area of acquisition have you focused on? I haven't learnt anything for writing and which do you find best?

Attached is a powerpoint on language change, and this link is a good rev document!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ge_Acquisition

Hope this helps in some way!!!!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pptx Language Change - A2 Revision.pptx (2.69 MB, 68 views)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicemuk)
    Don't worry I think everyone is!

For both acquisition and change my advice would be to make sure you structure your answer around the data and let this lead you to some sort of point or conclusion - don't just list the features that you can see.

It is always important to consider the wider context - for language acquisition look at what the child is doing (more for spoken language) and how this may affect their use of language. Confidence, power, play, schools, talking to adults - all of these may have an effect. Once you have made a point about the child's development, e.g. "this shows that social interaction is pivotal in the child's linguistic development" - here is where you want to support your statement with a theorist e.g. Bruner.

With language change, it is much harder to fit theories in, but one really good way to show you're aware of the wider context is to consider how and why the text was produced - who was it aimed at? Did the language change due to the intended audience? Alongside all the other many, many influences. :|

Basically, your essays need to go somewhere. Structure is key for AO1 marks. Like AS, use frameworks to help you - phonology, grammar, orthography... AS theorists are also applicable

I'm sure you know this anyway, sorry if I went on a bit!

Which area of acquisition have you focused on? I haven't learnt anything for writing and which do you find best?

Attached is a powerpoint on language change, and this link is a good rev document!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ge_Acquisition

Hope this helps in some way!!!!

That powerpoint on Language Change is marvelous! Thanks so much for posting it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss O.C.D)
    That powerpoint on Language Change is marvelous! Thanks so much for posting it
    No worries - good luck!!!!!!!!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicemuk)
    No worries - good luck!!!!!!!!
    Thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you that cleared some things up and it was really helpful. Good luck to all xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 2, 2013
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.