Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Extending Natwest Student Overdraft Beyond Limit

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I've just finished my second year at uni, and I've got the 1250 overdraft set up, but my car insurance has just charged me and I need to pay my rent but don't have the money now, and I won't get paid for ages as I work on commission and don't have any jobs until June. I was wondering if anyone has managed to increase their overdraft to the 1500 limit before your third year of uni starts? Stressing out a bit and can't call Natwest until tomorrow, any advice would be much appreciated! Can't borrow from family/friends, the overdraft is the only way I'd be able to do it. If anyone has any experience or help please let me know, I'm so stressed!
    Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I managed to do it part way through my second year. So long as you generally have a good credit limit and not usually in your overdraft I should imagine it would be okay. Just go down to your bank and ask them when you can.

If they refuse open up another bank account with another bank and just use a standard overdraft.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snufkin_)
    I managed to do it part way through my second year. So long as you generally have a good credit limit and not usually in your overdraft I should imagine it would be okay. Just go down to your bank and ask them when you can.

If they refuse open up another bank account with another bank and just use a standard overdraft.
    Thank-you, can I ask who you banked with?
    I've had my overdraft at that limit since last May, I've never exceeded the limit or anything but I've not paid it off, my student loan pays it off when it comes in but obviously it goes down again as soon as my rent comes out. Do you think this would be an issue, as it's pretty much always in use? My halls were extortionate last year and SF didn't cover it at all, so my overdraft was the only way I could cover it as my job isn't steady.
    Thanks for answering.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyGaGa)
    Thank-you, can I ask who you banked with?
    I've had my overdraft at that limit since last May, I've never exceeded the limit or anything but I've not paid it off, my student loan pays it off when it comes in but obviously it goes down again as soon as my rent comes out. Do you think this would be an issue, as it's pretty much always in use? My halls were extortionate last year and SF didn't cover it at all, so my overdraft was the only way I could cover it as my job isn't steady.
    Thanks for answering.
    I banked with Natwest.

Aparently you can exceed it after every year so you should be okay.

I have no idea if it would be an issue, I would imagine it could be, but it completely depends on how that affected your credit rating/if you have any unpaid bills etc. So if you always pay your phone bill/credit cards on time you should be fine but obviously each persons credit rating is different so it would be hard to tell.

The only thing I could advise is that you remain calm, don't panic, go into a natwest tomorrow to try and exceed your overdraft. If this fails then think of a plan b then.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I need to do this. But I'm going into my 2nd year and need to extend it to £1500 to my rent as my student finance may come in late. I was wondering if you managed to extend yours to over the limit or not? I'm think of going into the branch on monday and explaining my situation and showing them evidence etc. but i'm really worrying now.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: September 2, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.