The Student Room Group

Failed modules show on transcript? Employment/postgrad prospects damaged?

Hey all,

I am currently nearing the end of my first year studying a joint honours degree in Economics and Philosophy at UCL. It's final exam season and everything has been competely fine aside from one difficult compulsory intro maths module that I am quite sure I legitimately failed. Won't lie, a big part of it was due to my trouble with the sheer difficulty of the material, but it was also very much compounded by the fact that during the exam I had an excruciating migrane that left me with an almost insurmountable mental block, making it impossible to concentrate and perform up to par. I (probably foolishly) didn't alert any of the invigilators because I would have hated to draw attention to myself...anyway that's a bit of a different matter.

My main question is: If I fail a module, does the original ''fail'' mark show up on my transcript along with the presumably higher ''pass'' resit mark, or does only the final resit mark show up? It was explicitly stated that this particular maths module doesn't count in the sense that it is not weighted in my final degree classification, which means that I could conceivably still get, lets say, a 2:1 based on the modules that DO count, despite the fact that I failed and resat one module. Furthermore, I'm terrified that if the fail mark shows up my job/postgrade prospects will be irreperably marred. If top firms/unis see a single fail (lets assume I have a 2:1+ from all my other modules and the fail has no excuse, medical or otherwise), is it a nail in the coffin for an application? Might I as well have not even gotten a degree??? Will I be screwed for internships and graduate schemes???

This is a really pressing concern thats keeping me up at night and killing my motivation for the rest of my exams, whose material I actually feel I have a good handle on. I would incredibly appreciate any insight on this. Many thanks
Not every university has the same system that UCL has where only 3 out of the 4 course units are counted towards your final degree in first year.

I heard everything is shown up on your transcript on tsr somewhere. But as I said, because at UCL only 3 out of 4 units count (for first year, and 3.5/4 for 2nd year), it might be different. I would email your course organiser, they'd know best.

And even if it does, I really doubt it'll affect internship applications, they'll just know your first year grade - won't have your transcript.
Reply 2
You'll have the opportunity to explain the anomaly in your PS if you apply for postgrad (or your referees can do so for you). As long as they see what you're capable of overall, a blip won't be that big a hindrance, same with the majority of job applications. You might get the odd uni/employer who'll be a bit twattish about it but few and far between.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending