The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Just had a meeting with disability services and my school. My school are horrified that I'm not medicated (she was all "what? no mood stabilisers?") or seeing a psychiatrist and said I should be pushing to get more help as though I just sit around smiling when I visit the doctors. Feeling really really low after having what was essentially a telling off for not 'checking in' with the school to let them know I'm still alive when I'm either hypomanic/manic or in my pit of despair. They suggested going part time for my final year so now I feel a little broken. I was really doing so well.

Why do other's try to dictate the treatment of me? My doctor said I'd be closely watched to see where I go from here so what right does my school have to push me further?
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Just had a meeting with disability services and my school. My school are horrified that I'm not medicated (she was all "what? no mood stabilisers?") or seeing a psychiatrist and said I should be pushing to get more help as though I just sit around smiling when I visit the doctors. Feeling really really low after having what was essentially a telling off for not 'checking in' with the school to let them know I'm still alive when I'm either hypomanic/manic or in my pit of despair. They suggested going part time for my final year so now I feel a little broken. I was really doing so well.

Why do other's try to dictate the treatment of me? My doctor said I'd be closely watched to see where I go from here so what right does my school have to push me further?

Who did you see from the school? :hugs: Remember that the treatment you choose is your responsibility - no-one elses, so you look after yourself as you are doing and tell the school to push off telling you to do anything you don't want to do!
Original post by Helenia
Hi everyone,

This is a response to the concerns that some members have raised about the Depression Society in recent weeks, and also to feedback on the survey that took place slightly longer ago. We'd like to thank all members who have been in touch with us on either of these counts. There are a number of issues to address, in no particular order: -

1) The name and classification of the Depression Society
Recently we have received some comments about posts in DepSoc which are not about depression but are instead about other mental illnesses such as psychosis, OCD, personality disorder etc. We feel that as these illnesses often overlap and people's symptoms change over time, it would not be suitable to split up these topics and have particular threads for each mental illness. It is important that DepSoc is a place where people feel welcomed and supported, not shunned because they have the wrong "label" or because they are not "depressed enough" (this is a worrying piece of feedback we received from someone afraid to post there). We therefore plan to rename the society the Mental Health Support Society and maintain that everyone who wants to talk and get support for mental illness should be welcome here. We do realise, though, that this name is not very catchy, so if any of you have any better ideas, please let us know via AAHRM!

2) Moderation coverage of the Depression Society
This is something that we are aware has been a problem lately as we have lost some area moderators and other mods are very busy, so some concerning posts have been left for longer than they ought to do. The need for more mod coverage was raised in the survey. We are addressing this by recruiting a new Mental Health forum mod and also by encouraging passing supermods to flag up any problems that they come across. Please continue to use post reports and AAHRM for any concerns.

3) Suicide and self-harm posts
This has been the toughest area for us to decide upon and also generated lots of varied opinions from the survey, so thanks to those who took part! We appreciate that a lot of you want to be able to talk about suicidal feelings or self-harming, but we have made the difficult decision that any discussion of suicide or self-harm is still not allowed, whether in spoilers or not. Members have said that spoilers are not always necessarily helpful, and after a lot of discussion we just found it impossible to know how to draw a line on what level/detail of discussion was permitted and what was "too much." From a corporate point of view, the TSR owners have also said that they back this decision in the best interests of the site, so we have to stick to what they think! Therefore, if other members are posting anything about suicide or self-harm, please report it to us so we can deal with it ASAP. We appreciate that there are other forums out there which allow this sort of discussion, but we don't feel that we could take responsibility for policing it on TSR. We plan to "take over" the first post of all future Depression/Mental Health Support Society threads with a reminder of these rules.

4) Members who post multiple times about suicide/self-harm
Currently, any member who posts a message about either of these things has their post removed/edited, and receives a PM from a mod to direct them to sources of help. However, there are some occasions when a member has been sent several PMs and still continues to post about self-harm/suicide. While we don't want to punish people for feeling this low, we feel that "time out" from a potentially triggering forum may well be beneficial in these circumstances, as well as reducing distress to other members who read these posts, and so we will be giving temporary local bans in this situation.

5) Posts regarding medical advice
We appreciate that some of you have had a tough time with mental healthcare, that doctors are not always right, particularly when it comes to mental illness, and that some drugs suit some people better than others. However, we have seen posts where members have been told that their doctors are wrong, and more concerningly, that they should stop taking their medication. This is absolutely NOT permitted. Encouraging members to seek a second opinion, or giving them other options, is fine, but encouraging people to disengage with healthcare is not. Posts will be removed and members will be warned.

We know that not all of this is going to be popular with everyone, but we have tried our best to respect the views of those who have contributed, even if we couldn't agree with all of your suggestions, and we feel that all of the above changes are the best way to keep DepSoc a healthy and supportive place. If you have any questions, please contact us via AAHRM.

Any chance I can be directed to some help please?
ANYONE?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rmhumphries
Who did you see from the school? :hugs: Remember that the treatment you choose is your responsibility - no-one elses, so you look after yourself as you are doing and tell the school to push off telling you to do anything you don't want to do!

It was one of the DLOs. Is it any wonder that I went into academic hiding when they make me feel like a stupid child when I do see them?

There were some positives (Carole was there :biggrin:) so I'm having a new super pushy mentor. Just wish I could have a computer science mentor instead of a generic one but they apparently don't have any. It's too easy to fool a regular mentor that I'm working on something when an actual CS mentor would recognise that I was being an arse and avoiding things. And there were other things but I can't remember what they were. My head is so full and I'm really struggling to learn prolog :frown:
Original post by queeniemuah
Hi guys, I guess I just want to share my thoughts here in this thread.

Recently I've been having dreams that are very intense and vivid. I had a few dreams about death (not of myself), and I one time i actually woke up crying, with tears in my eyes, and the sadness was SO strong when I woke up. And all those dreams seems to point in one direction, that I have depression.

I don't think of myself as a negative person, but there are just a lot of times where my emotions fluctuate SO much that I don't think I can handle it anymore. Am I bipolar or depressed? lol.

I feel like I keep going back and forth, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I feel like the world is beautiful and all that, and sometimes I just think I am not worthy of anything. (the latter happens more often)

The thing is, I can't talk to anyone about this, I don't want to bore them with my weird feelings, and I am always the one who is cheerful and happy (on the outside obviously).

I guess my point of writing this post is, is there any ways that people find useful in "releasing" their negative energies? I just feel like I'm going to suffocate.....

To be perfectly honest, I really wouldn't put too much stress on the kind of dreams you're having. Dream psychoanalysis was discredited half a century ago, even if some psychiatrists are still unwilling to face up to that fact. :tongue: Obviously it's not good you keep getting them but I wouldn't say it necessarily points to depression - I mean check any checklist of depression symptoms, none will specify bad dreams (sleep disturbance yes). For instance, I'm not so sure how depressed I am atm, but I still get ****ed up dreams every night regardless.

From your description, although I'm obviously not a doctor, it doesn't sound like you're bipolar - bipolar highs are much, much more than simply thinking the world is beautiful, however you might be depressed. Depression does have a tendency to come and go a bit, but in general there should be a downwards trend at the very least.

Your best bet would be to have a talk with your doctor, they will know what to do and only they can diagnose you. Maybe jot down a list of symptoms before you go so everything's clear and you don't forget anything. Don't be ashamed of seeking help, GPs see people with depression all the time.
Original post by rmhumphries
Well yesterday, among other things, I got told that my psychologist thought that I might have no emotions ><

No emotions, eh? Like psychopathy or drugged up on antidepressants or what?
Original post by EmmaJane_
ANYONE?

What's up dear?
ANYONE?

What are you looking for at the moment?

Normally the mods don't get involved in a modding capacity in here unless there are serious problems. We don't routinely act as "advisers" as this is more of a peer support group - the other members are here for you. If there's something specific that you want from the mods, please let me know.
Original post by Helenia
What are you looking for at the moment?

Normally the mods don't get involved in a modding capacity in here unless there are serious problems. We don't routinely act as "advisers" as this is more of a peer support group - the other members are here for you. If there's something specific that you want from the mods, please let me know.

Original post by ViceVersa
What's up dear?

That post said the mods would direct me to sources of help if I posted about suicide/self harm
I was just looking for a source of help, not really peer support, a suicide hotline would be great. I can just google it though, I just didn't know if the mods had anything else. Thanks anyway.
That post said the mods would direct me to sources of help if I posted about suicide/self harm
I was just looking for a source of help, not really peer support, a suicide hotline would be great. I can just google it though, I just didn't know if the mods had anything else. Thanks anyway.

Okay dear ima just reply as Helenia is currently offline. In these circumstances a Samaritan Trained Moderator would say something like:

Would you consider speaking to the Samaritans or Nightline? Their details can be found here: http://www.samaritans.org/ and here: http://nightline.ac.uk/nightlines. They both offer a range of different listening services so if you don't feel able to speak to them on the phone, you can email them and they will usually respond within a few hours, or Nightline even offer a 1:1 instant messaging listening service.

They are the people best equipped to help you in terms of listening to you and helping you feel supported and able to cope with the stress you're under, so please get in touch with them hun. On the other hand, if you PM either Helenia or fleur de lis (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=54773) they are able to have the Samaritans call you with your permission if you feel unable to call them. Good luck, hope you're okay and that it works out for you. :hugs:

Original post by Helenia
x

Hope it's okay I did this, you were offline so..:colondollar:

:hide:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ViceVersa
Okay dear ima just reply as Helenia is currently offline. In these circumstances a mod (usually a supermod or admin) would say something like:

Would you consider speaking to the Samaritans or Nightline? Their details can be found here: http://www.samaritans.org/ and here:http://nightline.ac.uk/nightlines. They both offer a range of different listening services so if you don't feel able to speak to them on the phone, you can email them and they will usually respond within a few hours, or Nightline even offer a 1:1 instant messaging listening service.

They are the people best equipped to help you in terms of listening to you and helping you feel supported and able to cope with the stress you're under are the Samaritans or Nightline, so please get in touch with them hun. On the other hand, if you PM either Helenia or fleur de lis (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=54773) they are able to have the Samaritans call you with your permission if you feel unable to call them. Good luck, hope you're okay and that it works out for you :hugs:

Hope it's okay I did this, you were offline so..:colondollar:

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for. Really appreciate it. :smile:
Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for. Really appreciate it. :smile:

No problem. :smile:
Original post by Sabertooth
Oh man...ok so I saw the psychiatrist and she kept going on about my "unconscious mind" and how all my recent crazy dreams have meaning and symbolism...............seriously? :lolwut: She wants me to make a recording of all my dreams so she can analyze them. I find it very hard to take seriously anyone who still subscribes to Freud's outdated ideas. How do these people actually get jobs? Oh yeah...it's the NHS :facepalm:

Ergh...it would be funny if it wasn't actually quite a serious matter. :nothing:

Eurgh. Ask for a new one? I would actually laugh at her face if it was me.
Reply 1993
Back at uni in my room, back in a **** mood again, oh joy... :cry2:
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Eurgh. Ask for a new one? I would actually laugh at her face if it was me.

I did laugh in her face :colondollar: Several times :colondollar: I tried very, very hard to maintain composure but seriously....dream analysis....yeah, no.

There's no other choice in psychiatrist, just have to put up with this quack.
Reply 1995
2000th post woo!
Original post by AmiB
Back at uni in my room, back in a **** mood again, oh joy... :cry2:

:hugs: hope you feel better soon!

---------------

:cry2: god I feel like **** right now, sleep is still awful, have to have more ear drops as well now, plus just really fed up with life tbh, was in a really bad place before I slept, only thing that stopped me from doing something stupid was talking to the girl I like on facebook for a bit (not about stuff obviously, just chatting, but distracted me enough to be able to sleep after anyway)

feel like I have barely slept as well (had about 6 hours I think) but not good sleep I don't think, feel so tired and drained, gonna get food or something I think, if I can even manage that :frown:
Reply 1997
Original post by SciFiBoy
:hugs: hope you feel better soon!

---------------

:cry2: god I feel like **** right now, sleep is still awful, have to have more ear drops as well now, plus just really fed up with life tbh, was in a really bad place before I slept, only thing that stopped me from doing something stupid was talking to the girl I like on facebook for a bit (not about stuff obviously, just chatting, but distracted me enough to be able to sleep after anyway)

feel like I have barely slept as well (had about 6 hours I think) but not good sleep I don't think, feel so tired and drained, gonna get food or something I think, if I can even manage that :frown:

:hugs: Sometimes conversations with people we care about are the only things that keep you hanging on, I know that all too well :frown: Hope you feel better soon, definitely try and get some food in you if you can :smile:
Original post by d123
:hugs: Sometimes conversations with people we care about are the only things that keep you hanging on, I know that all too well :frown: Hope you feel better soon, definitely try and get some food in you if you can :smile:

yeah, well it distracted me at least. thanks, yeah will try and get something to eat.

you okay?
Reply 1999
Original post by SciFiBoy
yeah, well it distracted me at least. thanks, yeah will try and get something to eat.

you okay?

I'm alright, I'm kind of bored which for me is often a slippery slope into feeling **** but I'm just going to read my book and maybe watch a film.

Also still haven't told my parents about my depression. I don't know how. I can hide it, I'm hiding it fine at the moment but that won't be able to last that long. I probably should tell them but everytime an opportunity has come up I've bottled it.

Latest