The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Webberino
Thanks. I really haven't, couldn't even attempt most of it. :sigh:
Just have to try and prepare properly for the next one, can't find any motivation though.
Aww hope it doesn't last too long. :console:
I suppose the cold might be giving you something else to focus on, but never know. :hugs:

Yeah can be hard to remember that. Think you just have to take things as they come. :console:

But you attempted some of it which is better than none whatsoever. You have other exams so just try to do what you can in them. Try not to be too hard on yourself either, you're awesome. :awesome: :hugs:

Thanks :hugs: Feel guilty about not revising. I woke up, went downstairs for bacon and now I'm back in bed. It's my own fault I know that, just need to stop being so pathetic and pull myself together like everybody else does. :sigh:

How are you today? :hugs:
Funny some people are having a conversation about childhood vs adulthood. Just this morning I was thinking about how slightly crap my childhood was, being a weird kid with no friends much of the time, being bullied even by some of my "friends", stuff like that, but I had no responsibilities apart from doing easy schoolwork and could just play about like a kid most of the time.

But now being an adult seems to be ten times worse in a way. I keep coming at so many crossroads and needing to make certain decisions of which there are endless choices and possibilities, and I never know which is the right one or not. It's so darn tiring and frustrating. I also can't seem to do normal adult things like getting into relationships, and I often fear for my future cos I really have no idea what it might look like.

I dunno, maybe it's just me that's pretty crap in general, no matter what age I am or what stage of life I'm in.
Do any of you happen to have diabetes or be at high risk of getting it? I have a very high risk of developing it because my glucose levels are too high. I´m finding it very hard to deal with. I end up eating my emotions or hurting myself in other ways. I have no will power and can´t fight anymore.
Original post by superwolf
Woop! Anyone I know?

Nope, but I may have mentioned him to you before. He stopped me from getting suspended from school. :tongue:
Original post by sunfowers01
Do any of you happen to have diabetes or be at high risk of getting it? I have a very high risk of developing it because my glucose levels are too high. I´m finding it very hard to deal with. I end up eating my emotions or hurting myself in other ways. I have no will power and can´t fight anymore.

Sorry if this sounds offensive, but are you overweight? If you are, then losing weight might help to reduce your risk.

The medication I'm on causes diabetes which worries me a great deal.
Reply 305
Original post by Sabertooth
3 months is more than enough time, generally, to see if a medication is going to have an effect. Usually doctors recommend you see an effect after 6 - 8 weeks, which clearly hasn't happened with you. I'd say if the citalopram hasn't started working yet, it's probably not going to. Maybe you could ask for an increased dose which might help if they're unwilling to prescribe you anything else. But really, first choice antidepressants only have an effect on about 40% of people so what you're experiencing isn't that rare. They should really prescribe you something else. Is there another doctor you could talk to? One thing that it might be is your age, citalopram tends to be given to teenagers whereas some of the other antidepressants aren't so recommended for that age group. Though fluoxetine is licensed specifically for young people so I don't know why they wouldn't try you on that. :confused:

Yer I thought they probably should have kicked in last time but was told to try again so that is what I have done! I am currently on my third dr in the surgery though, will try another one next time to see if that helps though! Well I will try again next week and see if anything else is prescribed if not I may mention the fluoxetine and see what they say. I think I just need to try and be a little more outspoken I just kind of nod and go along with whatever they say! Thanks for the advice though
Reply 306
Original post by Anonymous
But you attempted some of it which is better than none whatsoever. You have other exams so just try to do what you can in them. Try not to be too hard on yourself either, you're awesome. :awesome: :hugs:

Thanks :hugs: Feel guilty about not revising. I woke up, went downstairs for bacon and now I'm back in bed. It's my own fault I know that, just need to stop being so pathetic and pull myself together like everybody else does. :sigh:

How are you today? :hugs:

Aww :jumphug:
Wish this tiredness would just go away, not helping when I feel exhausted after revising for 10mins. :sad:

It's not your fault. :console:
I have days like that all the time. :hugs:

Alright thanks, just tired, but snooker final should be good!
Original post by Sabertooth
Sorry if this sounds offensive, but are you overweight? If you are, then losing weight might help to reduce your risk.

The medication I'm on causes diabetes which worries me a great deal.

My weight is fine for my height, but I would still like to lose a bit. See if it makes me feel better. My will power is so bad though.
I have an essay to write for Tuesday but I literally cannot motivate myself.

Spoiler

Original post by Webberino
Aww :jumphug:
Wish this tiredness would just go away, not helping when I feel exhausted after revising for 10mins. :sad:

It's not your fault. :console:
I have days like that all the time. :hugs:

Alright thanks, just tired, but snooker final should be good!

That must be rubbish :hugs: Did you ask your doctor about being anaemic again?

I feel like it is, my mood isn't that bad at the moment, I'm just being lazy.

Hope you enjoy it!
Hi everbody,
I just need somewhere where I can get some advice about getting help for depression. At 14 I saw the doctor about anxiety and very low mood. The doctor referred me to PCAMHS where I saw a PCAMHS worker once a week, supposedly for 6 weeks but I stopped after 3 weeks because I found her patronising and it was making everything worse than ever. I just told her I felt fine again and so I didn't think I needed to see her anymore.....all completely untrue, but I didn't know what else to tell her. After about a year, things did eventually get better. Now, aged 19, since moving to university in September I have been having very low mood again, and worse than before. I know when something is normal and when it is normal, and I know that this type of low mood really isn't normal. I don't want to do anything, I don't want to see my friends, if I do see my friends I don't enjoy it, I don't really want to go outside, I have only managed to cook 4 meals for myself since moving to university. All of this is not because I am a lazy person and is very out of character for me. I know how to cook and used to enjoy it, I used to enjoy going out with my friends etc. I had been thinking about going to the doctor for about 3 months, since Christmas, and finally went a few weeks ago. However, I was unsure about going because I didn't feel I was taken seriously when I was 14, even though I knew then that what I was experiencing wasn't normal, so I went to the doctor with tiredness, feeling weak, dizzy etc. knowing that they would ask about mood, which they did. However, although I was able to say that I'd been experiencing very low mood for 7 months now, she just said "see what happens". I could understand that if it had been 1 month, but 7 months is too long and now I'm not sure what to do. I know this is not a normal type of low mood, it is all day, every day, somewhere in the back of my mind even if I am doing something that I am finding enjoyable. I will probably go back to the doctor again in a few months, but I don't think I will be able to really express exactly how bad I feel.
Original post by xbethany

Spoiler

if you are having issues with motivation speak to your Uni's student support services, if you have depression you can likely get an extenuating lateness if you need the extra time :smile:

Spoiler

I hope you are okay :hugs:
Reply 312
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everbody,
I just need somewhere where I can get some advice about getting help for depression. At 14 I saw the doctor about anxiety and very low mood. The doctor referred me to PCAMHS where I saw a PCAMHS worker once a week, supposedly for 6 weeks but I stopped after 3 weeks because I found her patronising and it was making everything worse than ever. I just told her I felt fine again and so I didn't think I needed to see her anymore.....all completely untrue, but I didn't know what else to tell her. After about a year, things did eventually get better. Now, aged 19, since moving to university in September I have been having very low mood again, and worse than before. I know when something is normal and when it is normal, and I know that this type of low mood really isn't normal. I don't want to do anything, I don't want to see my friends, if I do see my friends I don't enjoy it, I don't really want to go outside, I have only managed to cook 4 meals for myself since moving to university. All of this is not because I am a lazy person and is very out of character for me. I know how to cook and used to enjoy it, I used to enjoy going out with my friends etc. I had been thinking about going to the doctor for about 3 months, since Christmas, and finally went a few weeks ago. However, I was unsure about going because I didn't feel I was taken seriously when I was 14, even though I knew then that what I was experiencing wasn't normal, so I went to the doctor with tiredness, feeling weak, dizzy etc. knowing that they would ask about mood, which they did. However, although I was able to say that I'd been experiencing very low mood for 7 months now, she just said "see what happens". I could understand that if it had been 1 month, but 7 months is too long and now I'm not sure what to do. I know this is not a normal type of low mood, it is all day, every day, somewhere in the back of my mind even if I am doing something that I am finding enjoyable. I will probably go back to the doctor again in a few months, but I don't think I will be able to really express exactly how bad I feel.

:hugs: Perhaps you could speak to a counsellor at university?

I think you should go to a different doctor soon if you think the other one was unhelpful. It might help writing down how you are feeling and passing it to the doctor as a backup if you struggle to express how you feel?
Reply 313
Original post by xbethany

Spoiler

:hugs: Same here, although my essay is in a little later, in about 9 days. And I am sorry that you can't get it out of your mind. Could you try distracting yourself? Maybe watching TV or listening to music really loud might help? I find silence triggers bad thoughts because the only thing I can do it think.

I hope you have more positive thoughts and that you get some work done?

I also agree with SciFiBoy about speaking to someone at university.
Original post by Phoenix07
Personally it depends what kind of mood I am in, if it is having bad thoughts and stuff sleep might help! But if you are generally feeling low then sleep if you are tired but make sure you set alarms and times you want to get up. Because otherwise I find I often just spend all day in bed when I am feeling low and then just feel worse! It can be really difficult being round other people though, and completely exhausting trying to constantly be the happy bubbly person they want me to be! I suppose at some point you just have to say no I am going to be who I want to be around people but haven't got to that point yet. Sorry probably not much help but hope your feeling better soon!

No, you did help me, thank you :smile: Went to bed early, watched some American Dad, and woke up relatively happier!

Sadly, my mood went pretty much downhill. I was meant to be going out with two friends today, but both cancelled on me, using the same excuses they always do. It annoys me because I know that at least one of them is lying, and it annoys me that the one who I know is lying didn't tell me until I texted her to say I was leaving. I would have turned up at the park by myself and I would have been stood there for ages waiting for her.

I've lost all motivation to try and contact my friends again now X_X It took me AGES to work up the courage to ask them, and I know I shouldn't feel like this, but I feel like absolute crap, and my mind's telling me that my friends don't give a crap about me. I don't want to be around people anymore because I just keep on getting let down again and again. I'm sick of being this person where everyone thinks I have no problems and that they can walk all over me. I just feel so worthless.

Then, after that, my brother's girlfriend left (she stayed the night), and when he came back home from dropping her off, he started treating me like crap. He was hurling insults at me, shouting at me for laughing at the TV, and just being generally nasty to me.

I feel so horrible today. I just want to scream and shout and break stuff, but I can't. I feel like nobody gives a damn about me, that I'm just completely worthless. I've got people shouting at me to do this and do that and I just can't goddamn cope anymore. I just despise everything about myself. I hate the way I look, the way I act, who I know...just EVERYTHING about me. I wish I was someone else.
Reply 315
Original post by Moroseblight
So tired. Seem to be bent on trying to sabotage my 3rd year. Have a 40 credit assignment overdue and I can't write a damn thing. NO, it's not the ****ing frustration or stress. I can't write because I can't see anything in this lethal fog. Blank screens, false starts and muddled lines.

Also, ignoring my counselor and missed a GP appointment. Monumental waste of time. The unpredictable fluctuation of my moods is worse. Pendulum of madness is in constant motion. Sigh.

:console: I don't know what else to say. Although it feels like a waste of time, speaking to your counsellor and making another GP appointment is better than nothing.

Do you have extra support from your university?

Hang in there :hugs:
Reply 316
Original post by sunfowers01

:hugs: Maybe you could stock up on things to snack on that are low in sugar? Plain popcorn is really good and low in calories. Also a variety of vegetable sticks. I am not sure whehther fruit is good in this case because it is high in sugar but they are better than snacking on chocolate etc.

Apart from this problem, how are you?
Reply 317
Original post by alexlduffy
No, you did help me, thank you :smile: Went to bed early, watched some American Dad, and woke up relatively happier!

Sadly, my mood went pretty much downhill. I was meant to be going out with two friends today, but both cancelled on me, using the same excuses they always do. It annoys me because I know that at least one of them is lying, and it annoys me that the one who I know is lying didn't tell me until I texted her to say I was leaving. I would have turned up at the park by myself and I would have been stood there for ages waiting for her.

I've lost all motivation to try and contact my friends again now X_X It took me AGES to work up the courage to ask them, and I know I shouldn't feel like this, but I feel like absolute crap, and my mind's telling me that my friends don't give a crap about me. I don't want to be around people anymore because I just keep on getting let down again and again. I'm sick of being this person where everyone thinks I have no problems and that they can walk all over me. I just feel so worthless.

Then, after that, my brother's girlfriend left (she stayed the night), and when he came back home from dropping her off, he started treating me like crap. He was hurling insults at me, shouting at me for laughing at the TV, and just being generally nasty to me.

I feel so horrible today. I just want to scream and shout and break stuff, but I can't. I feel like nobody gives a damn about me, that I'm just completely worthless. I've got people shouting at me to do this and do that and I just can't goddamn cope anymore. I just despise everything about myself. I hate the way I look, the way I act, who I know...just EVERYTHING about me. I wish I was someone else.

You are not worthless :console:

Is there anyone you can talk to? Someone at college/ university. It is not easy to stop hating the way we are and most of us feel that way but rememeber that you are not worthless. No one is.

If there is no one you can talk to, maybe you could phone Samaritans?

I am sorry that your brother treated you like that :hugs:.

I hope you feel a bit better soon.
Reply 318
Just got off the phone from talking to my mum. I told her almost everything and it was heartbreaking to hear her cry but I don't have to lie anymore.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Just got off the phone from talking to my mum. I told her almost everything and it was heartbreaking to hear her cry but I don't have to lie anymore.

Mega well done. :jumphug:

Latest