The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dinoj
Second day on 20mg citalopram. Woke up at 4 this morning feeling really alert and haven't been able to sleep since. Forced down a sandwich a couple of hours ago. All my symptoms just seem worse, all in all today was one of the lowest days I can remember.

Is this normal? Right now I'm debating not taking my dose tomorrow.

It's very common for the first few weeks to be quite rough, not being able to sleep and feeling worse are common things people get. After about two weeks those problems should have started fading away, or maybe stopped entirely.

Whatever you do, keep taking it, you seriously have to give it some time to work, its just the nature of the drug. Citalopram and other SSRIs take a long time to really take effect; up to two months, so hold on until you've been on them for about that long. Sucks i know, but no pain no gain is quite true here :tongue:

Original post by d123
Need to sleep but I can't. I've been so tired all day but I just can't sleep and my head really hurts.

Have you tried breathing excercises? Deep breaths, in through the nose and out the mouth, while envisioning yourself in a bubble where nothing can harm you. That's what my old councillor used to recommend. Failing that, I know its not particularly healthy, but drink often sends me and others i know to sleep when we struggle otherwise. That or sleeping pills?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3381
Original post by Meaty_man
It's very common for the first few weeks to be quite rough, not being able to sleep and feeling worse are common things people get. After about two weeks those problems should have started fading away, or maybe stopped entirely.

Whatever you do, keep taking it, you seriously have to give it some time to work, its just the nature of the drug. Citalopram and other SSRIs take a long time to really take effect; up to two months, so hold on until you've been on them for about that long. Sucks i know, but no pain no gain is quite true here :tongue:

Have you tried breathing excercises? Deep breaths, in through the nose and out the mouth, while envisioning yourself in a bubble where nothing can harm you. That's what my old councillor used to recommend. Failing that, I know its not particularly healthy, but drink often sends me and others i know to sleep when we struggle otherwise. That or sleeping pills?

Started the citalopram today, and I'm working tomorrow so drinking may not be the best idea
i can predict the future, sitting here in the dark scared, they're there
Original post by kahinalouise
i can predict the future, sitting here in the dark scared, they're there

if you mean that you're scared of the dark, i think a lot of people are, even when we're adults :tongue:
im kinda suprised that theres not that many nocturnal people on here, maybe it's not as common as i thought Dx
:lurk:
if you mean that you're scared of the dark, i think a lot of people are, even when we're adults :tongue:

not really but i can't put the light on, i can see faces in my wall, i wan't to listen to the radio, i'm sorry if i'm not making much sense
not really but i can't put the light on, i can see faces in my wall, i wan't to listen to the radio, i'm sorry if i'm not making much sense

maybe u can have light from another room shine in? or use your laptop/pc/phone to keep the place kinda lit up until u fall asleep.
maybe u can have light from another room shine in? or use your laptop/pc/phone to keep the place kinda lit up until u fall asleep.

how are you ???
how are you ???

lol dont worry about it :smile: I'm in one of those moods where i have so many things i could be doing, but don't want to do anything at all :| I'm pretty good as things go but i'm having racing thoughts again >_>
Do meds actually help tackle depression? I've heard stories where they don't and sometimes even make it worse. This question has probably been asked about 39948 times before so I'm sorry for asking again.
Original post by Anonymous
Do meds actually help tackle depression? I've heard stories where they don't and sometimes even make it worse. This question has probably been asked about 39948 times before so I'm sorry for asking again.

They have the ability to help, if they didn't help they wouldn't be marketed.

However...

First, you have to consider there are dozens of different anti-depressants, in 4/5 different classes - each class will work better than others in different people, so it can be a case of finding a medication that works well for you, without intolerable side effects.

Secondly, while it takes 4-8 weeks for the primary effect (helping your depression) to work, side effects can start straight away, so they can make you worse before you get better.
When do things get better? :frown:
Original post by neversurrender
Hey, sorry for not replying straight away. I went out with my flatmates tonight for one last time cos everyone's going home tomorrow. I've had a really strained relationship with them since Christmas and I just feel very sad about how everything has turned out because of my depression and anxiety. I have no friends at all, not even one person I can speak to. I am feeling very anxious all the time. I am going back to my old job a week on Monday for the summer and I feel terrified. I'm living in a house in second year with people I've not even met. The whole thought of it is making me feel very stressed. I really don't know what to do anymore, I feel like I'm drowning, everything is making me feel anxious and low. I really think uni has managed to screw me up big time - it's like it flicked a switch inside of me and suddenly all the feelings I was managing to control are now suddenly very overwhelming.

Yeah that does sound pretty **** but I think you might have the start of several things so it's not all doom and gloom. You went out last night with your flatmates, ok they're leaving today but did you at least have a good time? The fact you still went shows that you are capable of interacting with people and when you have no friends that's a very important thing to be able to do. It'll be scary moving in with people you haven't met but perhaps try to see it as an opportunity - they might be awesome people and you might make friends with them, it's worth a shot at least. Going back to work is also scary obviously but it's a chance to get to know the people you work with, they might be cool guys and you might feel less alone, again, you don't know until you try. Are you getting any help with how you feel? That is often a big step to take but it's usually a good idea.
Original post by sunfowers01
When do things get better? :frown:

:console: :hugs: :console:
Reply 3395
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3396
Gonna have an incredibly boring day today :sad:. Have been ill since last night, and therefore can't go anywhere. My sleep pattern is messed up and I have to go back to school tomorrow.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S
Original post by AmiB
Try to look at it from the other side of the story:

My brother went out with a bad crowd, abused drugs, ended up psychotic, bipolar, and admitted to hospital. Went to uni, failed, tried again, failed and is now in a lot of debt, completely dependant on my parents with no job prospects or anything to work towards.

I was the rock for him whilst he was ill, he had a million conspiracies about my parents and so I was the only person he would listen to and let care for him. When he first got admitted I was just about to start my AS Level exams and my parents kept me in the dark and wouldn't let me see him until they were over.

Anyway, I finished my AS Levels with top marks and went on to do the same at A2. I then got into a good university and am just finishing the end of my first year studying Law.

To some it might look like I have achieved a lot and my brother has achieved nothing but the state that I am in at the moment as a result of my Brother's illness and what it has done to my family shows the other side. The crippling amount of pressure I now put on myself to achieve the best in order to in some way 'counteract' the damage to the family that has come from my brother even up to the point where I was working every night until 4am in the library until I just burnt out and crashed.

Now I am on my second anti-depressant, am taking my exams in August first sit and I went out last night with some old friends from sixth-form and ended up leaving halfway through in tears.

There are always two sides to every story.

P.s. I appreciative your life must be very different to mine and maybe your parents do unfairly compare you and your sister but spare a thought for her stresses and upsets too because although it may not always seem like it, mental illness does not just affect the patient but also their loved ones and those that care for them too.

Rant over.

are you sure that's relevant mate? seems a bit harsh to go off on one at someone over an issue that has a completely different context. yours is not the other side of the story, it's a completely different story and in terms of the post you're replying to not really the same.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3398
Original post by littleshambles
are you sure that's relevant mate? seems a bit harsh to go off on one at someone over an issue that has a completely different context. yours is not the other side of the story, it's a completely different story and in terms of the post you're replying to not really the same.

In my opinion it was but I've deleted it because I don't want to offend anyone and I shall not be posting here any longer. I hope you are happy.
Original post by AmiB
In my opinion it was but I've deleted it because I don't want to offend anyone and I shall not be posting here any longer. I hope you are happy.

I read your post before you deleted it and it did sound like you were kind of attacking me. But that doesn't mean you have to be so dramatic and stop posting. And don't blame it on littleshambles either.

Latest