The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5380
Original post by superwolf
Feel terrible, hopeless, nothing distracts me. Can't stand the thought of eating even though I know I should. My flesh is crawling and I can't do anything to stop these feelings. So instead have put on my most depressing music and resigning myself to feeling worse.

You could try. :redface:

Nobody eats in the middle of the night! Wait until morning and then try and have something small and plain, even a few bites is better than nothing. I know how hard it is when your feeling like this but please don't resign yourself to it. Maybe try and sleep now? :hugs:

Caterpillar cake is on its way! It might get a bit squished though..
Don't have any GP appointments lined up, only just saw him a few days ago. I don't see that he could do much really, other than call in the psychiatrist.

General hopelessness, plus worried about the whole alcohol/psychosis thing, and started feeling really anxious earlier too. I went for a bit of a walk earlier and that's when the anxiety started. :frown: Not sure about sleeping, don't know if I can right now. :s-smilie:

If I knew this was just temporary I could handle it, it's not knowing whether I'll stay like this, or worse, that makes things really hard.

Thanks for answering, hope you're doing ok. :hugs:

Ahh, okay. You could always see about a referral to the crisis team if things get any worse?

Okay, well as long as you stay away from alcohol, the psychosis risk shouldn't be a problem, right? I was the anon on your thread who said they'd had similar experiences, and I know it's scary, but you have to try not to let the anxiety take hold because you may well start thinking you've seen things because you're so worried about thinking you're seeing things... if that makes sense.

I know this is classic crisis team advice (:rolleyes:) but do you think having a hot bath/shower would help calm you down a little bit? If you can find somewhere that you feel safe and stay there, that might be a good idea. Hiding under your duvet is very-much encouraged :wink: If you have any friends nearby, perhaps ask if you can stay with them for the night/invite them to stay with you? If not, then feel free to add me on skype and I can stay up and chat.

The uncertainty is definitely the worst thing about all of this :sadnod: I can totally empathise with you on that point. When I work out how to cope with reality I'll let you know, yeah? :tongue:

No problem :jumphug:
Original post by Sultana
Nobody eats in the middle of the night! Wait until morning and then try and have something small and plain, even a few bites is better than nothing. I know how hard it is when your feeling like this but please don't resign yourself to it. Maybe try and sleep now? :hugs:

Caterpillar cake is on its way! It might get a bit squished though..

They do if they're me! Usual dinner time for me is about midnight - all I've had so far today is a bowl of chips and some rice crackers. Fingers crossed I'll be ok to eat tomorrow, but it's just hard tonight not to see it as a potential sign of my getting worse again (I tend to fall into dangerously poor eating habits when I get really ill).

Sleep is getting more and more tempting - but don't want to try too early and end up failing to sleep for hours. Being depressed is too damn complicated. :dry:
Original post by bytail
Ahh, okay. You could always see about a referral to the crisis team if things get any worse?

Okay, well as long as you stay away from alcohol, the psychosis risk shouldn't be a problem, right? I was the anon on your thread who said they'd had similar experiences, and I know it's scary, but you have to try not to let the anxiety take hold because you may well start thinking you've seen things because you're so worried about thinking you're seeing things... if that makes sense.

I know this is classic crisis team advice (:rolleyes:) but do you think having a hot bath/shower would help calm you down a little bit? If you can find somewhere that you feel safe and stay there, that might be a good idea. Hiding under your duvet is very-much encouraged :wink: If you have any friends nearby, perhaps ask if you can stay with them for the night/invite them to stay with you? If not, then feel free to add me on skype and I can stay up and chat.

The uncertainty is definitely the worst thing about all of this :sadnod: I can totally empathise with you on that point. When I work out how to cope with reality I'll let you know, yeah? :tongue:

No problem :jumphug:

Aargh, not the crisis team! :ahhhhh: I'd actually call seeing them less desirable even than hospital, that's how bad it was last time I was under them. Fortunately my psychiatrist thinks they're no good either. :mmm: I did actually want to get taken on by the CMHT that assessed me the other week, only apparently I wasn't ill enough. Don't know if they'd think I'd count now.

Already hiding in bed with a friend in the room. Still feel terrible, but most likely I'd be feeling worse without them. Might take you up on the skype offer some other time, think I'd find it hard to keep track of an actual conversation right now. :colondollar:
Reply 5384
They do if they're me! Usual dinner time for me is about midnight - all I've had so far today is a bowl of chips and some rice crackers. Fingers crossed I'll be ok to eat tomorrow, but it's just hard tonight not to see it as a potential sign of my getting worse again (I tend to fall into dangerously poor eating habits when I get really ill).

Sleep is getting more and more tempting - but don't want to try too early and end up failing to sleep for hours. Being depressed is too damn complicated. :dry:

:lolwut: Thats not really dinner, more like midnight feasts every night! :cute: Try not to panic too much over one day; its good that your aware of your behaviors etc.. but everyone has off days. It doesn't have to mean anything.

Yeah I get that. :sigh: Theres nothing worse than lying awake for hours alone with your thoughts. But, if you aren't managing to distract yourself, you might not be any worse off. And you could always get up again if it turns out you can't sleep yet. :hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Aargh, not the crisis team! :ahhhhh: I'd actually call seeing them less desirable even than hospital, that's how bad it was last time I was under them. Fortunately my psychiatrist thinks they're no good either. :mmm: I did actually want to get taken on by the CMHT that assessed me the other week, only apparently I wasn't ill enough. Don't know if they'd think I'd count now.

Already hiding in bed with a friend in the room. Still feel terrible, but most likely I'd be feeling worse without them. Might take you up on the skype offer some other time, think I'd find it hard to keep track of an actual conversation right now. :colondollar:

Oh dear :rofl: Luckily I've only had to see them once so far!

Well if you think things are beginning to spiral, get down to your GP's and demand some sort of help before things get any worse, okay? :hugs:

That's good, as long as you're not alone :smile: No problem, I'm here any time you want someone to spout incoherent nonsense at :wink:
Reply 5386
Soo the area around my eye has swollen to the point where I can't really see out of it. :dry: Little bit concerning...

And I'm not at all tired, despite having a pretty busy day. :sigh: Which means I'm spending the night looking up things I really shouldn't, and triggering the **** out of myself. I shouldn't be allowed on the internet when bored, the internet is a bad place. :emo:
Original post by Sultana
Soo the area around my eye has swollen to the point where I can't really see out of it. :dry: Little bit concerning...

And I'm not at all tired, despite having a pretty busy day. :sigh: Which means I'm spending the night looking up things I really shouldn't, and triggering the **** out of myself. I shouldn't be allowed on the internet when bored, the internet is a bad place. :emo:

Sounds painful :frown: Tried holding a hot cloth over it? Might help to reduce the swelling. Personally I'm absolutely covered in what appear to be horsefly bites :dry:

Me neither, weirdly. Had a couple of hours sleep earlier so I expect I'll be up until the early hours of this morning. If you can't stop searching for triggering things maybe get offline and watch TV instead? :hugs:
Reply 5388
Original post by bytail
Sounds painful :frown: Tried holding a hot cloth over it? Might help to reduce the swelling. Personally I'm absolutely covered in what appear to be horsefly bites :dry:

Me neither, weirdly. Had a couple of hours sleep earlier so I expect I'll be up until the early hours of this morning. If you can't stop searching for triggering things maybe get offline and watch TV instead? :hugs:

Hmm good idea, I'll give that a try. :yy: Insects are such a pain!

Its annoying, I had almost got into a healthy(ish) sleeping pattern as well.:unimpressed: The tv is downstairs in the dark! :afraid: I think I'm going to put Spirited Away on and try and do a bit of my knitting. Hopefully the frustration of being rubbish will send me asleep!

How are you feeling now btw, any better than yesterday? :hugs:
Original post by Sultana
Hmm good idea, I'll give that a try. :yy: Insects are such a pain!

Its annoying, I had almost got into a healthy(ish) sleeping pattern as well.:unimpressed: The tv is downstairs in the dark! :afraid: I think I'm going to put Spirited Away on and try and do a bit of my knitting. Hopefully the frustration of being rubbish will send me asleep!

How are you feeling now btw, any better than yesterday? :hugs:

Ah, that sucks :sad: It's so difficult to regulate your sleep! That sounds like a good idea to me :yep: I don't have the patience for knitting or anything fiddly, so you can at least console yourself with the fact that you're bound to be a lot better than me :biggrin:

Just numb really. Don't have a clue where to go from here. Can't live properly, can't die properly, which leaves me stuck in the middle :dontknow: Just carrying on as normal and praying that my GP can do something when I see him on Tuesday.
Reply 5390
I've gone from feeling really sad and hopeless and crying everyday to feeling empty and numb.

Everything just feels like such a challenge. A friend sent me five long texts in the space of a couple mins and the prospect of replying just made me panic. In the end I replied, but hours later :s-smilie:.

Before the emptiness I felt really guilty. I have a friend who just uses me. She will only call me if she needs something and every conversation is about her. When I try to talk about something, she will often ignore it, criticise it or make one comment before talking about herself again. This week she asked me to join her this weekend. After kindly declining many times, she suddenly stopped texting me and hasn't contacted me in a couple days. I declined because I'm trying to distance myself from her - I'm just so tired of her selfishness. My family and other friends often ask why I put up with her and said I did the right thing yet I couldn't help feeling guilty and like a bad person.

Tonight, the emptiness is quickly being replaced with sadness :frown:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5391
Original post by Sultana
You manage to sleep in the end? :hugs:

Yes... at around 5am in the morning then I was up at 8am and couldn't go back to sleep!

Spirited Away :love:! Are you a fan of Studio Ghibli?
Reply 5392
Original post by bytail
Ah, that sucks :sad: It's so difficult to regulate your sleep! That sounds like a good idea to me :yep: I don't have the patience for knitting or anything fiddly, so you can at least console yourself with the fact that you're bound to be a lot better than me :biggrin:

Just numb really. Don't have a clue where to go from here. Can't live properly, can't die properly, which leaves me stuck in the middle :dontknow: Just carrying on as normal and praying that my GP can do something when I see him on Tuesday.

Its a shame my doctor won't give me any more sleeping pills.:daydreaming:

I know how much it sucks to be feeling bad for so long, but at some point something will change (for the better.) Just got to carry on day by day until then. Hopefully your GP will have some suggestions for you, maybe changing your meds as they don't seem to be working for you atm. Sorry I don't have anything more useful to say, I wish I could do something other than offer smilies! :hugs:

Original post by luno
I've gone from feeling really sad and hopeless and crying everyday to feeling empty and numb.

Everything feels like such a challenge. A friend sent me five long texts in the space of a couple mins and the prospect of replying just made me panic. In the end I replied, but hours later :s-smilie:.

Before the emptyness I felt really guilty. I have a friend who just uses me. She will only call me if she needs something and every conversation is about her. When I try to talk about something, she will often ignore it, criticise it or make one comment before talking about herself again. This week she wanted to go out to a place she knows I hate and she wouldn't leave me alone about it. After polity decline many times, she stopped texting me and hasn't contacted me in a couple days

Feeling empty is awful. :console: Can you go and see your doctor about this? It sounds like your really struggling at the moment, and a bit of support wouldn't go amiss. :hugs:

Some people are just not worth the effort.That 'friend' sounds pretty horrible tbh. You shouldn't feel guilty because of a sucky person. :no: Friendship is a 2 way process and if she is only taking from you, I don't think you should worry yourself about her.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Emailed Mind to see if they could send me any information on alcohol-related psychosis. So far from what I've read online I don't actually fit the profile that well, apart from the delusions/hallucinations themselves. Most people suffering from it seem to have been alcoholics for 10+ years before developing it (I wouldn't call myself an alcoholic) and are in their 40s or older (I'm 24). Still, it looks pretty likely that I have it despite all that. My biggest worry is still that I could end up developing full-blown psychosis outside of just occasional drunkenness.
Reply 5394
Original post by luno
Yes... at around 5am in the morning then I was up at 8am and couldn't go back to sleep!

Spirited Away :love:! Are you a fan of Studio Ghibli?

Well, a few hours is better than no hours!

:five: I only just discovered that world, I've seen Princess Mononoke (:love:) but I've yet to see any others! What would you recommend?
Reply 5395
Emailed Mind to see if they could send me any information on alcohol-related psychosis. So far from what I've read online I don't actually fit the profile that well, apart from the delusions/hallucinations themselves. Most people suffering from it seem to have been alcoholics for 10+ years before developing it (I wouldn't call myself an alcoholic) and are in their 40s or older (I'm 24). Still, it looks pretty likely that I have it despite all that. My biggest worry is still that I could end up developing full-blown psychosis outside of just occasional drunkenness.

I have no idea about alcohol and psychosis... I'm sorry you're going through a difficult time :console:. I hope you find the information you're looking for and get helpful advice :jumphug:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5396
Original post by Sultana
X

Thank you for replying! I'm going to try and sleep so I'll reply to both posts later today :smile:. I hope you get some sleep :hugs:.
Original post by Sultana
Its a shame my doctor won't give me any more sleeping pills.:daydreaming:

I know how much it sucks to be feeling bad for so long, but at some point something will change (for the better.) Just got to carry on day by day until then. Hopefully your GP will have some suggestions for you, maybe changing your meds as they don't seem to be working for you atm. Sorry I don't have anything more useful to say, I wish I could do something other than offer smilies! :hugs:

Mine wouldn't give me any in the first place! :grumble:

That's what I'm banking on, because otherwise I am definitely going to end up killing myself. Yeah, I hope so because I've been on the citalopram for 3 months and it hasn't done anything :s-smilie:

Just read this (you've probably seen it already, but just in case):

Alcohol-related psychosis spontaneously clears with discontinuation of alcohol use and may resume during repeated alcohol exposure.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/289848-overview

So at least if it turns out you are experiencing alcohol-induced psychosis, it should be limited to the times when you've been drinking, and not cause problems during your day-to-day life :yes:
Good morning everyone, no idea why I sound so happy considering I managed to get no sleep :frown: and now have to get ready to go to school, its going to be a long day.
I'm not convinced I remember what happiness feels like. Quite disconcerting.

Latest