The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Idle
Maybe they like standing like me? :tongue:

I know some people don't like going to sit next to anyone when 1 seat is already taken.

Maybe, but all the other seats which were next to 1 person got taken, it was just the one next to me that remained empty. I'm talking every single ****ing seat on the bus, except the one next to me. That does kind of imply it's something about me. :frown:
Hey, I'd like some advice.
I'm sitting an exam tomorrow and I can't seem to concentrate on my revision. I can't seem to learn any of the stuff, and nothing is going in anymore. I learned quite a bit for it in the past few months but suddenly I can't remember anything.
I'm crying in the library right now (I have depression and something caused me to be a little emotional today) and I just do not know what to do.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I'd like some advice.
I'm sitting an exam tomorrow and I can't seem to concentrate on my revision. I can't seem to learn any of the stuff, and nothing is going in anymore. I learned quite a bit for it in the past few months but suddenly I can't remember anything.
I'm crying in the library right now (I have depression and something caused me to be a little emotional today) and I just do not know what to do.

Well, if you've actually been diagnosed with depression you could fill out an extenuating circumstances form?
Original post by Sabertooth
Well, if you've actually been diagnosed with depression you could fill out an extenuating circumstances form?

Yeah, I've booked an appointment with the school to talk about things. Some of my teachers already know. The thing is I haven't wanted to face the fact that it might be something deeper, nor that my depression actually came back. I was depressive in High School, but when I came to uni it went away. Now that I'm a third year it has come back. Although I haven't been to a doctor's to have it diagnosed again, I can feel it. My doctor back home has also prescribed me meds again, but only for two months for my exam period.

But I'm not sure this, or anything really, will work out.

I don't think you can help. I don't know, I guess I wanted to say it to someone.
Reply 724
Original post by superwolf
Thought I had a bit more food in my room, apparently not. :sad: Don't want to go into kitchen or leave the house.

If I had my budgie with me I'd send him with a reciprocal care package straight to your window. :moon: :console:
Yeah, I've booked an appointment with the school to talk about things. Some of my teachers already know. The thing is I haven't wanted to face the fact that it might be something deeper, nor that my depression actually came back. I was depressive in High School, but when I came to uni it went away. Now that I'm a third year it has come back. Although I haven't been to a doctor's to have it diagnosed again, I can feel it. My doctor back home has also prescribed me meds again, but only for two months for my exam period.

But I'm not sure this, or anything really, will work out.

I don't think you can help. I don't know, I guess I wanted to say it to someone.

Have you just started taking meds again? Because they can mess with your thinking to start with which, combined with the underlying depression, isn't going to help your revision.

I think telling your uni and getting a diagnosis from a doctor is probably the way to go. It's too late really now to do much about an exam tomorrow but if you fill out the extenuating circumstances form sometimes they let you sit them in August and class it as a first attempt even if you fail now. By that time the meds might have settled down and you might be better able to tackle the exam.
Reply 726
The watch I ordered arrived today, yay! It's a binary watch, I look like a massive nerd wearing it :mmm:

Well done for doing that :smile:
Absolutely nothing problematic with a tea obsession :tongue:
Also nothing wrong with laziness :laugh:

Awesome! :awesome:
Speaking of nerds I'm thinking of making a snooker t-shirt. :tongue:

Thanks, have now done 2 and a bit questions but work will slow now my flask is empty and my flatmates have gathered in the kitchen. :sad:
Mentor did say I had to love the laziness part. :lol:
The woman in the pharmacy today thought I'd faked my prescription. She said "this is an awful lot of medication, I'm going to need to call your doctor to make sure it's correct".

Scared about what all this medication is doing to me inside. Had an appointment with my consultant today and asked about lowering the dosage of some of them and she said it wasn't a good idea.
Reply 728
Slipping back. I will NOT end up like I was, time to act.
Original post by Idle
Slipping back. I will NOT end up like I was, time to act.

What's up?
Reply 730
Original post by headunderwater
What's up?

Just getting really anxious again, missing appointments, not really caring about anything in life. Which generally leads to me ending up back in hospital, I really need to figure a way out to stop it getting so bad each time.

How are you? :smile:
I don't know what to say. Feel like I can't bear this, but then I look back and see that times have been even worse, and I still haven't managed anything other than suffering through it til something external changed.

I really wish I had friends living in Manchester. I've tried to make more, but nothing's worked out. It felt awesome having even just one around before. Really ****ing miss her.
Original post by Idle
Just getting really anxious again, missing appointments, not really caring about anything in life. Which generally leads to me ending up back in hospital, I really need to figure a way out to stop it getting so bad each time.

How are you? :smile:

:hugs: You have the right spirit though and, I believe, the strength to get through this. I'm OK, getting very anxious about Monday's assessment.

I don't know what to say. Feel like I can't bear this, but then I look back and see that times have been even worse, and I still haven't managed anything other than suffering through it til something external changed.

I really wish I had friends living in Manchester. I've tried to make more, but nothing's worked out. It felt awesome having even just one around before. Really ****ing miss her.

Aww Wolfy. :hugs: I don't have much words (because I'm **** with words) but I hope you feel better soon. You're an amazing person and if more people met you I'm sure that they'd agree with me that you're awesome :smile:
Aww Wolfy. :hugs: I don't have much words (because I'm **** with words) but I hope you feel better soon. You're an amazing person and if more people met you I'm sure that they'd agree with me that you're awesome :smile:

Thanks. :cry2:

:hugs: I know it's too late for this year, but have you considered joining a society for next year? I know it's kind of not really a you thing at all really actually, but I don't think that should stop you. I just looked at the list and there's quite a lot:
http://www.umsu.manchester.ac.uk/societies/list/

Granted, most of them suck and the people are probably vapid morons, but maybe there's one that would appeal to you? You could try out something new. Like martial arts! :awesome: I probably couldn't have got through my undergrad without playing hockey because just that little bit of social interaction was immeasurably valuable. So maybe even if the people are total bores it might be better than nothing? :dontknow:

Other than that, how busy are you atm? Maybe we could hang out some time, although I suspect you're probably busy revising.
Reply 735
:hugs: You have the right spirit though and, I believe, the strength to get through this. I'm OK, getting very anxious about Monday's assessment.

Thank you. Best of luck, all you can do is try your best and be honest.
Original post by Sabertooth
:hugs: I know it's too late for this year, but have you considered joining a society for next year? I know it's kind of not really a you thing at all really actually, but I don't think that should stop you. I just looked at the list and there's quite a lot:
http://www.umsu.manchester.ac.uk/societies/list/

Granted, most of them suck and the people are probably vapid morons, but maybe there's one that would appeal to you? You could try out something new. Like martial arts! :awesome: I probably couldn't have got through my undergrad without playing hockey because just that little bit of social interaction was immeasurably valuable. So maybe even if the people are total bores it might be better than nothing? :dontknow:

Other than that, how busy are you atm? Maybe we could hang out some time, although I suspect you're probably busy revising.

I'm in Russian society - it's awful, and out of the whole list you linked to there were only two I'd have been at all interested in - signed up for their newsletters in freshers week, one never sent me anything and the other I just didn't bother going to. :sigh: And that was when I was still actually feeling more or less fine. I know I have to try again next year - not much choice really - but even so it's no help with how I'm feeling now.

Not doing much - gave myself a couple of days off from revising (although if my mood stays like this the whole time I don't really see myself being able to go back to it), and even after that wasn't planning on doing more than a couple of hours a day. Hanging out would be good.
Had my telephone assesment today :smile:

Was really good :smile: it went on for 45 mins and the lady who was lovely asked some questions and we spoke. I said that I definately needed therapy and this was clear to her. She suggested that intensive therapy is what I needed from what I was saying and I agreed, because I know it would benefit me.

It would be difficult for me to have therapy in my local area, especially as I am off to uni soon, so she searched for info on therapy services where I will be studying (Leeds). She has written a letter to my GP, and so I will go to my GP soon to discuss having therapy elsewhere.

:smile:

So feeling better now. I guess I shall ditch the idea of ADs for now.
I'm in Russian society - it's awful, and out of the whole list you linked to there were only two I'd have been at all interested in - signed up for their newsletters in freshers week, one never sent me anything and the other I just didn't bother going to. :sigh: And that was when I was still actually feeling more or less fine. I know I have to try again next year - not much choice really - but even so it's no help with how I'm feeling now.

Not doing much - gave myself a couple of days off from revising (although if my mood stays like this the whole time I don't really see myself being able to go back to it), and even after that wasn't planning on doing more than a couple of hours a day. Hanging out would be good.

There's an eastern European society, is that any better than the Russian? And yeah you should definitely try again next year but you're right it doesn't exactly help you now. I guess you haven't got all that long left though so maybe it's just a case of trying to make sure things go better next year.

There's loads of people on here who think you're awesome, you could invite them to visit you/go visit them although that wouldn't help much with your revision it would probably help with the loneliness. I feel fairly isolated too atm, although I played badminton today which was great, so could you take a look at your local Mind charity and see if they have anything that interests you? Most of the stuff is free and they have staggered start times so there might be something starting soon. My one does dressmaking which I reckon you'd be good at.
Original post by Webberino
Awesome! :awesome:
Speaking of nerds I'm thinking of making a snooker t-shirt. :tongue:

Thanks, have now done 2 and a bit questions but work will slow now my flask is empty and my flatmates have gathered in the kitchen. :sad:
Mentor did say I had to love the laziness part. :lol:

That sounds great :tongue:

Well you've done a lot of work already, don't stress yourself out too much.

I think I'm becoming unhealthily attached to my watch, I can't stop looking at it and straightening it on my wrist :mmm:

Latest