The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by headunderwater
What's wrong with talking about stuff other than depression? We may talk about a lot of different things (from psychosis to PD to anxiety) but I think the key thing that links us all together in this thread is that we feel ****. Depression is still central here and I don't see why there's a need for a change.

Because some people keep going on about how doctors are wrong etc.. For someone who has no experience of the mental health system this thread gives the impression doctors are wrong more often than not, which is simply not true. People need to stop doing this or do it in a different thread tbh.
(edited 11 years ago)
What's wrong with talking about stuff other than depression? We may talk about a lot of different things (from psychosis to PD to anxiety) but I think the key thing that links us all together in this thread is that we feel ****. Depression is still central here and I don't see why there's a need for a change.

Also that the past few months or so the ratio of just depression stuff, and other stuff like psychosis or BPD/PD etc has changed drastically..

Edit: Not saying that's completely wrong btw, just saying we might as well have a general MH thread.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ViceVersa
Also that the past few months or so the ratio of just depression stuff, and other stuff like psychosis or BPD/PD etc has changed drastically..

Edit: Not saying that's completely wrong btw, just saying we might as well have a general MH thread.

I don't mind having the thread's name changed; i'm just against having separate threads, if you know what I mean. I don't give a **** what the thread's called as long as we all still support each other like we do.
Reply 103
My only objection to this current thread is that there's no warning to trolls in the first post that they will be assaulted with sarcasm should they tiptoe into our lair. :colone:
I don't mind having the thread's name changed; i'm just against having separate threads, if you know what I mean. I don't give a **** what the thread's called as long as we all still support each other like we do.

Okay maybe we might have the thread's name changed, but I just though people wouldn't want to see the name 'depression society' completely gone so though it might be best to have a new thread lol.
Original post by Nut.
My only objection to this current thread is that there's no warning to trolls in the first post that they will be assaulted with sarcasm should they tiptoe into our lair. :colone:

They deserve to taken unaware and destroyeded for trying to troll.
Reply 106
Original post by ViceVersa
What about all the new people looking for support or advice like on general or mild depression, that often complain they're being ignored. I don't think it's right to constantly talk or fill the thread up with other MH issues, examples not really needed. Others have said that there isn't an urgent need for a separate thread dedicated to mental illness as a whole, since this thread more or less serves as that anyway, but I think it suggests we might as well have a general MH thread and not think it is right to carry on that way on the depresison thread. Nobody is saying people can't post on depsoc anymore, they can post in both. No one is splitting anyone up :nah: and no community has to be lost :nah: and what about the stuff that happened with the PD/BPD yesterday? how is that right on the depsoc? I personally feel that just because people are scared of change doesn't mean things should go on the way they are. The truth is that people post a lot more about just depression, there used to be detailed posts about psychosis and stuff, and the discussion yday with the PD/BPD and encouraging new members to disregard diagnosis they might not like or agree with (a post by an anon highlighted this issue with norms and stuff) so how would a new member judge the thread, it's people and it's rules? Not very good :no: And then also new members coming thinking the norm is to be really ill and constantly talk about other MH issues, and so feel they have to be more ill to fit in.Then there's also the issue with the fact that it's just not healthy for people coming in to expect depression talk and then give other people advice on depression, and not giving advice about psychosis or bipolar that they're not trained or equipped to give. Sometimes the thread has become such that unless people like superwolf or Nut or others reply, posts asking about actual advice on depression are missed or ignored. So the aim of what it was created for is lost. A general separate thread for all of the test of issues and chats should be made, and depsoc given proper respect and just turned into a society on depression if that makes sense. And it not just me, other new members mistake me for a mod and PM me about how uncomfortable or triggered or anxious or scared to post they are, or about being ignored, or their mild depression issues or advice seeming less important, so feeling they have to emphasise things more to get noticed and supported, which isn't healthy at all. I'm trying to see things in a bigger perspective, what's best for everyone and also how things should be like long term and I don't think carrying on this way is the best. I just don't feel the title 'depression society' fits how others would imagine or see it...it's very misnamed.

It was only an idea anyway and I honestly can see both sides of it so I hope nobody's upset by this. If the mods don't agree then that's okay. I really hope FDL and the other mods agree to a new general thread or a positive way to move forward for what it's worth.

Just my opinion :tongue:

You don't have to reply to this btw, I just felt I needed to get out some points people should consider..

100% agree with all of this
Reply 107

You wouldn't support having a general thread, and allowing this one to be actually FOR depression/mood disorders?

PDs, schizophrenia, ED's, anxiety, these things are not 'basically depression', at all.
Reply 108
Original post by Alofleicester
They deserve to taken unaware and destroyeded for trying to troll.

I think my particular use of sarcasm when slightly pissed off warrants a disclaimer. :colone::colone:
Original post by laut_biru
You wouldn't support having a general thread, and allowing this one to be actually FOR depression/mood disorders?

PDs, schizophrenia, ED's, anxiety, these things are not 'basically depression', at all.

Did I say they were 'basically depression'?

PDs often have a depressive element - and I believe most of the people who most here have or have had in the past a depressive episode. EDs and anxiety have their own threads.

There is the whole mental health forum, and it is used - it is not like this is the only thread in mental health that can be used. A general mental health thread seems to be taking the forum and placing it in one thread, on a similar note then why not make a "Chat" thread in chat?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rmhumphries
PDs often have a depressive element - and I believe most of the people who most here have or have had in the past a depressive episode. EDs and anxiety have their own threads.

Exactly. This is what I'm trying to say. The key thing that links us all together in this thread is depression, and so the thread should stay that way.
Reply 112
Did I say they were 'basically depression'?

No, that was more my summation of what seems to be a prevailing attitude, sorry for not being clearer.

Ideally I'd like to see a situation where those with more complex issues can get support (because you all deserve it), but without it swamping out those who are not so ill can get support. My main issue with making this a general thread is we will lose having a place for those with mood disorders.
Reply 113
Exactly. This is what I'm trying to say. The key thing that links us all together in this thread is depression, and so the thread should stay that way.

Yes everyone should be entitled to talk about depression if they have depression within 1 thread.

However people are consistently posting things where are extremely unhealthy to other members. There seems to be a general consensus between some members that doctors are wrong more often than not as well as other issues. This should be eliminated from a depression thread and if they want to talk about such (It's generally related to PD's, then it should really be discussed in another thread if they want to do so.)
No, that was more my summation of what seems to be a prevailing attitude, sorry for not being clearer.

Ideally I'd like to see a situation where those with more complex issues can get support (because you all deserve it), but without it swamping out those who are not so ill can get support. My main issue with making this a general thread is we will lose having a place for those with mood disorders.

I do see your point, but I don't think we're losing depression as a central theme through the thread.

:dontknow: Going to shut up now.
Reply 115
PDs often have a depressive element

Sorry no. PD's do not have a mood disorder element, by definition. You can have a diagnosis of a mood disorder and a PD, that's not at all uncommon, but that does not mean that PD's have any element of an entirely separate diagnostic criteria.

This is not currently a 'depression thread', and that needs addressing. This needs to exist, under whatever name, but those simply with a mood disorder need to feel their problems are supported, and not secondary to those with far more complex issues.
Original post by Idle
100% agree with all of this

I can never rep you enough.

This is such a damn good point. Which leads to my opinion that its the fear of change some people don't like.
Sorry no. PD's do not have a mood disorder element, by definition. You can have a diagnosis of a mood disorder and a PD, that's not at all uncommon, but that does not mean that PD's have any element of an entirely separate diagnostic criteria.

This is not currently a 'depression thread', and that needs addressing. This needs to exist, under whatever name, but those simply with a mood disorder need to feel their problems are supported, and not secondary to those with far more complex issues.

And how often here, have people got a personality disorder diagnosis, without any point having been depressed? While you might be right about being diagnosed, I am not diagnosing them - and so, for the purpose of those in this thread, then those with a personality disorder also have/have had depressive episodes.

I believe you run a very real risk with splitting the thread of 'killing' the depression thread, you have the general mental health thread, which is the current thread renamed -> which people with more minor depression may feel is not suitable for them, as they may not feel it is a mental illness, but just a problem in life currently; and then you have the depression thread, with a lot less people. Less people means less people able to give replies, and advice. The end result is that the depression thread dies, and goes off the page, and the general mental health thread has taken over, scaring away the very people you want to help.

If anything, all I see the need for is a personality disorders thread. And I don't think people with personality disorders want their own thread from what I can tell.

Agreed, this thread should really just be about mood disorders. We already have an anxiety thread and an ED thread, splitting out personality disorders/other complex issues into a separate thread makes sense to me.
Reply 119
If anything, all I see the need for is a personality disorders thread. And I don't think people with personality disorders want their own thread from what I can tell.

Well not me personally but from quite a few people I have talked to and some people who have quit posting in the thread, they don't want people with personality disorders talking about personality disorders in the depression thread...

Latest