The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Wow, talk about alienating and adding to the negative stigma for those with personality disorders.

I won't be posting in this thread from now on.
Reply 121
Original post by rmhumphries
]

If anything, all I see the need for is a personality disorders thread. And I don't think people with personality disorders want their own thread from what I can tell.

Personally I was thinking more 'complex cases': psychosis, PD's, co-morbidity and a thread for mood disorders.

The two are separate, this is not best serving anyone. It's becoming unhealthy here, no one should feel the need to play up to get more support. At the same time, those with greater issues should not need to hold back for the sake of other people.
"This is not currently a 'depression thread', and that needs addressing. This needs to exist, under whatever name, but those simply with a mood disorder need to feel their problems are supported, and not secondary to those with far more complex issues." Basically this.
Original post by headunderwater
Wow, talk about alienating and adding to the negative stigma for those with personality disorders.

Feeling the same.

(even though I don't have one :wink: )
Original post by Idle
Well not me personally but from quite a few people I have talked to and some people who have quit posting in the thread, they don't want people with personality disorders talking about personality disorders in the depression thread...

Where to draw the line then? As I said before, I believe that most of the posters here who have a personality disorder also have or have had depression. So, do they need to post about anything depression related here, anxiety related in the anxiety thread, anything eating related in the ED thread, and so on? There is just as much talk about anxiety in this thread, and yet there is already another well-running thread on anxiety.

Then, in regards to creating a new thread, then as well as my arguments above, then one of the reasons the anxiety thread and ED threads do well I see is that they have plenty of unique posters, posters who only there. I am not sure if a personality disorder thread would have many unique posters - leading to duplication of where to post, likely to cause a thread to be underused. Unless of course you do think that anything PD related should go in their thread, then they come here for depression related stuff, and so on - although I find it much easier to help people if I know the whole story as such.

:hugs: I don't think anyone thinks you should leave, and I can say for certain that I certainly don't think you should. (Although I understand why you feel like that.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by laut_biru
Personally I was thinking more 'complex cases': psychosis, PD's, co-morbidity and a thread for mood disorders.

The two are separate, this is not best serving anyone. It's becoming unhealthy here, no one should feel the need to play up to get more support. At the same time, those with greater issues should not need to hold back for the sake of other people.

You seem to have ignored the rest of my post on why I feel separate threads are a bad idea.
Reply 126
Where to draw the line then? As I said before, I believe that most of the posters here who have a personality disorder also have or have had depression. So, do they need to post about anything depression related here, anxiety related in the anxiety thread, anything eating related in the ED thread, and so on? There is just as much talk about anxiety in this thread, and yet there is already another well-running thread on anxiety.

Then, in regards to creating a new thread, then as well as my arguments above, then one of the reasons the anxiety thread and ED threads do well I see is that they have plenty of unique posters, posters who only there. I am not sure if a personality disorder thread would have many unique posters - leading to duplication of where to post, likely to cause a thread to be underused. Unless of course you do think that anything PD related should go in their thread, then they come here for depression related stuff, and so on - although I find it much easier to help people if I know the whole story as such.

I don't think anyone is saying any disorder is worse or looked down on any differently to any other. It would be the same if people were talking about eating disorders or anxiety in this thread in place of PD's to the extent people were finding it unhealthy.. It's not a personal attack on PD's like some are viewing it.

And well yeah I thought the view was any depression related posts would be in this thread, anxiety in anxiety etc.. I see the point of the whole story and while I agree it was cause minor problems I think it should be over-ridden by the fact more and more posters are coming out and saying they are finding the current thread in it's current condition extremely unhealthy to them.
Original post by Exopaladin
Agreed, this thread should really just be about mood disorders.

This also.
why are people leaving the thread? :erm:
Why not change the name of this thread to a 'mood disorder thread' I think this name is more fitting, and then create a other/general MH thread?
Original post by Idle
I don't think anyone is saying any disorder is worse or looked down on any differently to any other. It would be the same if people were talking about eating disorders or anxiety in this thread in place of PD's to the extent people were finding it unhealthy.. It's not a personal attack on PD's like some are viewing it.

And well yeah I thought the view was any depression related posts would be in this thread, anxiety in anxiety etc.. I see the point of the whole story and while I agree it was cause minor problems I think it should be over-ridden by the fact more and more posters are coming out and saying they are finding the current thread in it's current condition extremely unhealthy to them.

And yet, it isn't anxiety or ED talk which is the issue (and as I said, there is a lot of anxiety talk in this thread), but as it is talk about personality disorders which has 'caused' this, I can see why people who have personality disorders and post a lot in this thread feel like people don't want them to post here.

Will it just be minor problems though? I think there is the potential for this to maybe make things a bit nicer for people who post once, but then a lot worse for people with multiple issues who post here a lot. I only fall into needing two of the threads under this scheme, yet I dislike that idea enough, as I feel that my anxiety and depression are strongly linked, and so it is hard to split them completely.
Original post by ViceVersa
Why not change the name of this thread to a 'mood disorder thread' I think this name is more fitting, and then create a other/general MH thread?

One positive of having the "Depression Society" named as it is, is that people without much mental illness experience can find it easily. Say you were looking for help because your partner was depressed. Would you know that depression falls under the "Mood Disorder Thread"? I don't think I would jump to link the two.
Reply 132
And yet, it isn't anxiety or ED talk which is the issue (and as I said, there is a lot of anxiety talk in this thread), but as it is talk about personality disorders which has 'caused' this, I can see why people who have personality disorders and post a lot in this thread feel like people don't want them to post here.

Will it just be minor problems though? I think there is the potential for this to maybe make things a bit nicer for people who post once, but then a lot worse for people with multiple issues who post here a lot. I only fall into needing two of the threads under this scheme, yet I dislike that idea enough, as I feel that my anxiety and depression are strongly linked, and so it is hard to split them completely.

Well obviously there would be some overlap, but it would make each thread 90% specific to what it's actual title is. A lot of people with mood disorders want the thread to be specific to mood disorders like the anxiety disorder is 95% anxiety related. I don't think that's unfair of them or an attack on anyone. I am schizophrenic so I wouldn't even fit in this thread the majority of this time either.
Reply 133
One positive of having the "Depression Society" named as it is, is that people without much mental illness experience can find it easily. Say you were looking for help because your partner was depressed. Would you know that depression falls under the "Mood Disorder Thread"? I don't think I would jump to link the two.

It is always generally on the 1st page of the mental health forum to be fair.

Original post by Sabertooth
Feeling the same.

(even though I don't have one :wink: )

Certain people are in danger of getting tracked down and hugged into oblivion if they dare suggest that they won't be posting any more. :hmmm:

:grouphugs:

Original post by SciFiBoy
why are people leaving the thread? :erm:

Cos they're silly and deserve a good spanking. :sexface:
Reply 135
Just intrigued to put this out here.

How many of you realise that I wouldn't consider someone like Idle, with schizophrenia to be a good fit for this thread, as opposed to a complex illnesses thread, along with discussion of PD's?
Original post by Idle

Yes, the thread is usually on the 1st page - but how would you know that was the right thread to post in, if you didn't realise that depression fell under mood disorders?
Original post by Idle

And mods can make an announcement at the top of the MH forum saying so
Reply 138
Yes, the thread is usually on the 1st page - but how would you know that was the right thread to post in, if you didn't realise that depression fell under mood disorders?

Well it is in the title, depression is under mood disorders? I assume it would be posted in the first post in the thread as well if it did happen.
I just want a positive way forward and what's best and HEALTHIEST for everyone.

Latest