Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guy at homeless shelter was a d***

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014

Please keep anon as I know people on here in real life.

First a bit of background: Final year medic, currently doing a mental health special interest module. Mainly because I want to go into psychiatry.

Anyway...the consultant I am with has me doing a range of things. One was a visit to a homeless shelter. The guy who showed me around and explained how it worked was really nice. He had some interesting opinions on doctors but at least he was diplomatic about it. The people there were relatively harmless and I was enjoying interacting with everyone.

Then he introduced me to this other guy who helps the homeless with things like applying for accomodation, benefits e.t.c. First thing he said was doctors are useless, take all the east europeans here, they are not entitled to treatment in hospital as they are not registered here or something.

It is not so much his opinion that bothered me (guy was thick) but the fact he attempted to humiliate me in front of the WHOLE place. Saying so what can you do for all of these people hey? What is the point of all these qualifications? I said I am the student but he generally kept this form of bullying me.

Shall I complain about him to my consultant?

I did get annoyed with him and said a few things to him to put him in his place but tbh I wanted to do a lot worse to him. Quite ironic what to do for these people, when most of the are alkys/drug addicts as I saw in the notes, no doubt that is the doctor's fault they are addicated. SOB i am tempted to write him a long letter and shame him.

Also how should I have handled it?

No doubt he did wrong but I also like always being in control and in charge (hard to explain) and I couldn't deal with how he was treating me.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    toss a flashbang

shout "SOOOOAAAAAPPPPPP"

watch in horror as enemy special forces rope down and the homeless are killed in the crossfire

slow motion kill people with a desert eagle

only reasonable solution :/
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    you should have just ignored it an not indulged him by "putting him in his place" as you put it...

i think you need to let it go...

i think you will just end up humiliating yourself if you write him a long letter to "shame" him or complaining to your doctor.

i would have thought a 5th year medic would be more mature than this tbh... sounds to me like you just like lording it over people and you want people to just fall at your feet or something... why do you want to shame and humiliate him just get over it!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You're upset because he was a bit of a ****er? Christ
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    The guy has a hard, surely demotivating at times job and you can kind of imagine he despises doctors in one way or another trying to jump in there and fix things when the guy deals with down and outs every day and practically gets know where.

He's sick of the influx of Eastern European immigrants and that he can't always help them as they aren't entitled to a lot of basic things we are. (things are changing but nevertheless)

Just stick it out and do what the guy wants you to do. It's not your fault you can't treat them the same way it's not his fault that he deals with pretty hopeless situations every day.

You're going to encounter a lot of horrible people in your line of work-especially in psychiatry so you might as well learn to deal with it. Being aggressive wont help your placement and complaining (if you do so) must be done tactfully and carefully.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get used to it. Doctors get treated like **** by most people.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Grow the **** up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could mention it to your consultant and ask how you could deal with this sort of thing in the future because it made you feel very uncomfortable. Judging by the consultants reaction to you asking, you'll be able to tell whether this is a regular thing you just have to put up with or if the guy was being really out of order, in which case you could possibly make a complaint against him.
    • 99 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    Get used to it. Doctors get treated like **** by most people.
    You sure about that? I would have thought that doctors are treated with a lot of respect. At least, I have a lot of respect for doctors
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    forget it and move on.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    You sure about that? I would have thought that doctors are treated with a lot of respect. At least, I have a lot of respect for doctors
    OK, "a significant amount of the sorts of people who get ill a lot".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    'If an underling acts in a disrespectful manner towards a medical proffesion, the proffesional in question is permitted to beat the underling across the head with his stethesope while bellowing "I'm the bloody doctor!" '

- GMC's general code of conduct, section 6, paragraph 4
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do NOT write a smarmy 'complaint letter' or anything! That looks immature and unprofessional. Also, in Psychiatry you're going to come up against verbal attacks again- are you really prepared to deal with them?

In situations when someone is having a go at you for something that's not your fault, I find it easier to just nod and listen to them and agree that the system isn't perfect, whilst subtly pointing out that's I'm only a student and it's not my fault.

As soon as they're finished, you can forget about it. Or, if it was interesting, remember the good points as 'food for thought'.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to ever go back there again?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    By 'putting him in his place' surely you would be simply enforcing his beliefs that all Doctors are useless scum? Perhaps a more productive thing to do would be to try and change his mind by showing what you're made of and working hard.

(Original post by Bellissima)
    you should have just ignored it an not indulged him by "putting him in his place" as you put it...

i think you need to let it go...

i think you will just end up humiliating yourself if you write him a long letter to "shame" him or complaining to your doctor.

i would have thought a 5th year medic would be more mature than this tbh... sounds to me like you just like lording it over people and you want people to just fall at your feet or something... why do you want to shame and humiliate him just get over it!
    I don't want people to fall at my feet lol, why was I ok with the other carer there? This guy was trying to take control and belittle me in front of tons of bums.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some people don't think doctors are infallible gods. Why do you think everyone is going to automatically respect you? Other people have to deal with people who don't like them for whatever reason, why do you think you are going to be exempt? Writing a letter is very petty. Just move on.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're a doctor and he works in a homeless shelter.

'nuff said.

(Original post by I<3LAMP)
    The guy has a hard, surely demotivating at times job and you can kind of imagine he despises doctors in one way or another trying to jump in there and fix things when the guy deals with down and outs every day and practically gets know where.
    Not my problem. He should learn to show some respect. Imagine I was in his shoes and a young student came in to see the shelter, would I go into all the crap he did, in a not so constructive way?

He's sick of the influx of Eastern European immigrants and that he can't always help them as they aren't entitled to a lot of basic things we are. (things are changing but nevertheless)

Just stick it out and do what the guy wants you to do. It's not your fault you can't treat them the same way it's not his fault that he deals with pretty hopeless situations every day.

You're going to encounter a lot of horrible people in your line of work-especially in psychiatry so you might as well learn to deal with it. Being aggressive wont help your placement and complaining (if you do so) must be done tactfully and carefully.
    I do agree about complaining tactfully so will rule out mentioning into any of the doctors. Think they are regulated by the council so might write a long letter to the council about his behaviour instead.

I have seen everything in psychiatry already. Drug/alcohol addicts, dementia, schizopherenia, bipolar e.t.c. also worked at a very secure unit with people who have severe mental illnesses and can be violent.

This guy was just something else.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.