Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guy at homeless shelter was a d***

Announcements Posted on

(Original post by Ham22)
    Some people don't think doctors are infallible gods. Why do you think everyone is going to automatically respect you? Other people have to deal with people who don't like them for whatever reason, why do you think you are going to be exempt? Writing a letter is very petty. Just move on.
    I don't recall saying he should respect me because I am a doctor, where did you get this from :confused: Respect as a fellow humanbeing perhaps might be a start.

(Original post by gemnomnom)
    Do you have to ever go back there again?
    I have one base which is fine but several ones to visit. I don't have to go again and I won't be. Don't want to hear his distorted views again, having to lap it up rather than say what I really want to.

Will go to another shelter instead.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't want people to fall at my feet lol, why was I ok with the other carer there? This guy was trying to take control and belittle me in front of tons of bums.
    I do agree about complaining tactfully so will rule out mentioning into any of the doctors. Think they are regulated by the council so might write a long letter to the council about his behaviour instead.
    First thing he said was doctors are useless, take all the east europeans here, they are not entitled to treatment in hospital as they are not registered here or something.

So you're there to get a few brownie points for your CV, you have all these people spend time on showing you around and you have little respect for the homeless people they care for.
    And then you meet this one guy who is bitter about the NHS not catering for the needs of those he's looking after. Granted, he shouldn't take that out on you (but to be blunt - the stuff you quoted him saying is probably right and not even directed against you in person. Let's be honest: What are you going to do for those people? How do your qualifications help them?).

But now you're getting all worked up about this and think about writing complaints to the council? Take a step back, reconsider and get on with your life.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't want people to fall at my feet lol, why was I ok with the other carer there? This guy was trying to take control and belittle me in front of tons of bums.
    Really doesn't sound like your fit to work in mental health... or medicine really, god help whoever you have to treat.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There comes a time when a British person has enough.....an he will send a letter of complaint
    • 150 followers

ReputationRep:
    Realistically, why does his opinion bother you? You're happy with what you're doing, who cares what he thinks?
    • 101 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    OK, "a significant amount of the sorts of people who get ill a lot".
    Fair enough, though people have to remember that medicine can't cure every thing and some things are completely unknown as to what the causes are ie: in the case of my photophobia, they have absolutely no idea why I have it and the only real "cure" is to wear sunglasses, even though sunglasses will eventually weaken the eyes even further as I get used to them. In the case of autism, they don't know what causes it, and don't know how to cure it.

Coma's are a weird one as well. There's no set way of bringing people out of a coma, except perhaps from a medically induced one

Though, that's as far as I think I know
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    He's like a bouncer, but in a worse position. They lack real power, so take out their frustrations whenever they get an opportunity.

No need to 'put him in his place' though, as ultimately, you're much better off than he is and you both know it.

(Original post by Y__)
    And then you meet this one guy who is bitter about the NHS not catering for the needs of those he's looking after. Granted, he shouldn't take that out on you (but to be blunt - the stuff you quoted him saying is probably right and not even directed against you in person. Let's be honest: What are you going to do for those people? How do your qualifications help them?).

If I could have been honest with him these are the points I would have mentioned. Firstly, what can he do for someone with a physical and mental illness? Nothing because it is not his role. A doctor's role is to treat/prevent illness and although they have to consider the psychological and social elements, there are other professions who play a more central role in that. His grudge is with the wrong people. Regarding immigrants not getting treated by the NHS, he should man up and realise that is a govt decision.

Lastly, this is what I really wanted to say most of all but wouldn't. What can I do to help these people? Nothing, because they refuse to help themselves and are a burden on society, a drain. They get involved in crime, become addicts and contribute nothing. I have worked as a constable before and a lot of them do jail time for petty crime.

Only a fraction of these homeless people have valid reasons such as severe mental or physical disability. Rest have only themselves to blame and he should certainly reassess his opinions before blaming others.

(Original post by Vikki1805)
    So an alcoholic/drug addicted, crazy, homeless guy has upset you and wound you up?

Realistically, why does his opinion bother you? You're happy with what you're doing, who cares what he thinks? Not to be funny but whatever career it was he aimed for in life obviously didn't get him too far... :rolleyes:
    No, it was the guy who worked there which is why it bothered me! I know he hasn't got very far in life but you would think if a student was coming in he would try and help me understand their services and how doctor's could help. That is what the previous guy said and I understood. This guy wound me up and instead it made be more defensive to defend my career and myself.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikki1805)
    So an alcoholic/drug addicted, crazy, homeless guy has upset you and wound you up?
    Did we read the same OP

It was a volunteer/employee who made the comments to try belittle OP, nothing was mentioned about him being any of the above.

Anyway, to the OP, ignore the fella as his attitude will get him adored and respected by everyone he talks to with this moronic attitude for sure:rolleyes: and yes mention it to whoever is mentoring you and they will give an opinion on how they would have reacted and what they would do.

I also have utmost respect for doctors because if I am ill they can help me out and the job is pretty grimey and emotional at times I am sure.
    • 150 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, it was the guy who worked there which is why it bothered me! I know he hasn't got very far in life but you would think if a student was coming in he would try and help me understand their services and how doctor's could help. That is what the previous guy said and I understood. This guy wound me up and instead it made be more defensive to defend my career and myself.

(Original post by SubAtomic)
    Did we read the same OP

It was a volunteer/employee who made the comments to try belittle OP, nothing was mentioned about him being any of the above.

Anyway, to the OP, ignore the fella as his attitude will get him adored and respected by everyone he talks to with this moronic attitude for sure:rolleyes: and yes mention it to whoever is mentoring you and they will give an opinion on how they would have reacted and what they would do.

I also have utmost respect for doctors because if I am ill they can help me out and the job is pretty grimey at times I am sure.
    I apologise, I miss-read the original post!

My comment still stands, his opinion shouldn't hinder you, you're happy doing what you do, that's what matters.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    You sure about that? I would have thought that doctors are treated with a lot of respect. At least, I have a lot of respect for doctors
    So I= everybody?
    Who do you think you are?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chronist)
    So I= everybody?
    Two I's so far troll.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    1st world problems.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Please keep anon as I know people on here in real life.

First a bit of background: Final year medic, currently doing a mental health special interest module. Mainly because I want to go into psychiatry.

Anyway...the consultant I am with has me doing a range of things. One was a visit to a homeless shelter. The guy who showed me around and explained how it worked was really nice. He had some interesting opinions on doctors but at least he was diplomatic about it. The people there were relatively harmless and I was enjoying interacting with everyone.

Then he introduced me to this other guy who helps the homeless with things like applying for accomodation, benefits e.t.c. First thing he said was doctors are useless, take all the east europeans here, they are not entitled to treatment in hospital as they are not registered here or something.

It is not so much his opinion that bothered me (guy was thick) but the fact he attempted to humiliate me in front of the WHOLE place. Saying so what can you do for all of these people hey? What is the point of all these qualifications? I said I am the student but he generally kept this form of bullying me.

Shall I complain about him to my consultant?

I did get annoyed with him and said a few things to him to put him in his place but tbh I wanted to do a lot worse to him. Quite ironic what to do for these people, when most of the are alkys/drug addicts as I saw in the notes, no doubt that is the doctor's fault they are addicated. SOB i am tempted to write him a long letter and shame him.
    Don't get all butthurt, but it's kind of pathetic that you're being wound up about this. HE IS NOT BULLYING YOU. He's probably jealous because he got no where in life, stop being so touchy and move the **** on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well firstly the bloke's an idiot. Yes it's a shame these people can't get treatment but what does he expect the average 5th year med student to do about it. Just quit being a doctor and not save lives because of stupid politics and he may hate doctors but I'm sure he wouldn't object to one saving his life and is quite happy to visit one when he's ill.:rolleyes:

However, I would just leave it. Some battles are just not worth it. Just bask in the knowledge that you were intelligent enough to get into medical school and survive 5 years of it whilst he's just an idiot.
    • 101 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chronist)
    So I= everybody?
    Asian

EDIT: My Dad really wanted me to become a doctor, but it's really not for me
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    toss a flashbang

shout "SOOOOAAAAAPPPPPP"

watch in horror as enemy special forces rope down and the homeless are killed in the crossfire

slow motion kill people with a desert eagle

only reasonable solution :/
    :rolleyes:
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    first world problem much?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.