The Student Room Group

Quitting my job - How?

I've had a weekend job in a shop since last September, but I started wanting to quit because they wouldn't let me have a day off the day before one of my big A2 exams this summer.

I applied for a bar job in a pub, and got the job (better pay, more flexible hours). Now I need to hand in my notice for my other job... how do I go about it? My parents told me I have to write a letter, but this seems a bit formal? Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by pellejema
I've had a weekend job in a shop since last September, but I started wanting to quit because they wouldn't let me have a day off the day before one of my big A2 exams this summer.

I applied for a bar job in a pub, and got the job (better pay, more flexible hours). Now I need to hand in my notice for my other job... how do I go about it? My parents told me I have to write a letter, but this seems a bit formal? Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Write a letter. Dear [Manager's Name] Please take this letter as notification of my resignation. In accordance with my contract, my last working day will be [whatever it is]. Thank you very much for the time and training I have received at [store name] but I have to focus on my up-coming A level exams and can no longer afford the time this work requires.

I'm not sure where you think 'formal' kicks in, but for most people, resigning from a job is well within the bracket!
Reply 2
Your notice does need to be in writing, it will probably say so in your contract. It doesn't have to be really formal, just something like "Dear X, as of X date I have been offered employment elsewhere therefore I will not be available to work after X date, sincerely, X."
Reply 3
Writing a letter is always the done thing with regards to giving your notice.
Reply 4
I just told them :dontknow:

As long as you don't just finish a shift one day and go 'right, that's it, byeeee!' it should be okay. I'd feel a bit weird about just handing them a letter so I would tell your manager first and then give them the letter.
Reply 5
Do it in person or write a letter. Its your call.
Reply 6
Thanks everyone, I'll keep your advice in mind :smile:
Reply 7
Best to write a letter as well as telling them. When i left a job a few years ago even though I told the manager I still had to write a letter telling them I was leaving.
Hiya, the same thing happened with me, i was working for a fast food company back then so obviously i thought it'd be too formal aswell! Just write a really simple clear letter to your boss such as:

Dear ________
Here is my written notice from ____(DATE)____, i will be working ____(how long you will be working till you leave)_______
Thank you

I didn't actually leave the first time, i took my notice back, but when i actually did leave i just told my boss verbally! So really i think it just depends on your relationship with your manager :smile: Good luck!! x
Reply 9
Thanks again guys. Will be handing in my notice tomorrow.

I've got one question however: Do I have to give them a reason for my leaving?
Reply 10
Original post by pellejema
Thanks again guys. Will be handing in my notice tomorrow.

I've got one question however: Do I have to give them a reason for my leaving?

You don't have to give them a reason, but it's fine to say you've got a job which is is offering you better pay :smile: It helps employers to know these things so they can adjust their rates of pay etc in line with local market rates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending