Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quitting my job - How?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've had a weekend job in a shop since last September, but I started wanting to quit because they wouldn't let me have a day off the day before one of my big A2 exams this summer.

I applied for a bar job in a pub, and got the job (better pay, more flexible hours). Now I need to hand in my notice for my other job... how do I go about it? My parents told me I have to write a letter, but this seems a bit formal? Any help would be greatly appreciated
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pellejema)
    I've had a weekend job in a shop since last September, but I started wanting to quit because they wouldn't let me have a day off the day before one of my big A2 exams this summer.

I applied for a bar job in a pub, and got the job (better pay, more flexible hours). Now I need to hand in my notice for my other job... how do I go about it? My parents told me I have to write a letter, but this seems a bit formal? Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Write a letter. Dear [Manager's Name] Please take this letter as notification of my resignation. In accordance with my contract, my last working day will be [whatever it is]. Thank you very much for the time and training I have received at [store name] but I have to focus on my up-coming A level exams and can no longer afford the time this work requires.

I'm not sure where you think 'formal' kicks in, but for most people, resigning from a job is well within the bracket!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your notice does need to be in writing, it will probably say so in your contract. It doesn't have to be really formal, just something like "Dear X, as of X date I have been offered employment elsewhere therefore I will not be available to work after X date, sincerely, X."
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Writing a letter is always the done thing with regards to giving your notice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just told them :dontknow:

As long as you don't just finish a shift one day and go 'right, that's it, byeeee!' it should be okay. I'd feel a bit weird about just handing them a letter so I would tell your manager first and then give them the letter.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do it in person or write a letter. Its your call.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, I'll keep your advice in mind
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Best to write a letter as well as telling them. When i left a job a few years ago even though I told the manager I still had to write a letter telling them I was leaving.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, the same thing happened with me, i was working for a fast food company back then so obviously i thought it'd be too formal aswell! Just write a really simple clear letter to your boss such as:

Dear ________
    Here is my written notice from ____(DATE)____, i will be working ____(how long you will be working till you leave)_______
    Thank you

I didn't actually leave the first time, i took my notice back, but when i actually did leave i just told my boss verbally! So really i think it just depends on your relationship with your manager Good luck!! x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again guys. Will be handing in my notice tomorrow.

I've got one question however: Do I have to give them a reason for my leaving?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pellejema)
    Thanks again guys. Will be handing in my notice tomorrow.

I've got one question however: Do I have to give them a reason for my leaving?
    You don't have to give them a reason, but it's fine to say you've got a job which is is offering you better pay It helps employers to know these things so they can adjust their rates of pay etc in line with local market rates.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.