The Student Room Group

RAF Typhoons and Rapier being installed at key sites

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by cl_steele
a jet liner smashing down across a city will not cause 'the odd casulty' ... i.e. skewed
plus depending on what plane they could potentially steal they could be carrying up to 800 odd people, hardly a small number of people to just blow out of the sky...

FFS, it will have fewer casualties than said jetliner smashing into a stadium full of olympians and spectators.

Stop dodging the issue and see in black and white that fewer casualties will occur by shooting down the jet than by letting it hit it's target. :rolleyes:
Reply 41
a jet liner smashing down across a city will not cause 'the odd casulty' ... i.e. skewed
plus depending on what plane they could potentially steal they could be carrying up to 800 odd people, hardly a small number of people to just blow out of the sky...

Could be mistaken on this. No, wait, I'm not. 800 is still a lot smaller than the 80,000+ people who could be within the stadia/surrounding Olympic village.

And that's assuming any airline actually flies with the A-380 in an all-economy setup, which noone does. At most they carry ~700, with 600-650 being the norm.
Reply 42
Original post by Drewski
Could be mistaken on this. No, wait, I'm not. 800 is still a lot smaller than the 80,000+ people who could be within the stadia/surrounding Olympic village.

And that's assuming any airline actually flies with the A-380 in an all-economy setup, which noone does. At most they carry ~700, with 600-650 being the norm.

i said up to 800 not specifically 800, why can no one one this site read?
Reply 43
i said up to 800 not specifically 800, why can no one one this site read?

We can read. That's why we're astounded that you seem to think "up to" 800 in the air are a bigger 'cost' than up to 80,000 on the ground.
Reply 44
Original post by Drewski
We can read. That's why we're astounded that you seem to think "up to" 800 in the air are a bigger 'cost' than up to 80,000 on the ground.

youre missing the point here...
you cant treat people as simple figures.
how would you like it if your family were on that plane and then you got the utter privilege of seeing them blown out of the sky?
Reply 45

And you're missing the point that in military planning and worst case scenarios, that's exactly how you've got to treat people. It's not nice, it's not happy, but it's simply the way the world works.
If the situation comes about that the choice is either watch a plane barrel into a stadium or shoot it down, then it's a no brainer, you shoot it down. You have to be detached in these things.
If my family were on board of course I'd be upset, but it doesn't stop it being the right thing to do.
Reply 46
how would you like it if your family were on that plane and then you got the utter privilege of seeing them blown out of the sky?

No, YOU are missing the point that in grown-up land you have to accept that there isn't always a perfect solution and that you have to plan unemotionally to achieve the best result.

Dry your eyes and welcome to the real world.
Reply 47

The people on the airliner would be killed regardless, so surely it is better that they die as opposed to 80 000+ and the 800 or so on board the plane?:s-smilie:
what about city airport though which is slap bang in london?
my biggest queary was the use of the navy, what possible use could a destroyer and an aircraft carrier be unless the terrorists have gotten themselves a battle ship to float around in?

Rapier systems, ships, RAF observation planes are all linked together to create a massive radar net over a large area. The likelihood of a plane getting in and doing damage is very low unless this net fails completely.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending