The Student Room Group

About to drop out of university? Wasn't working out, want to reapply 2013......

Hello,

I am currently an undergraduate in my first year studying for a degree BA(single hons) in Graphic Design. From the onset I was having difficulties adjusting, my student finance was delayed and so this caused me unnecessary stress and worry, leading to uncertainty as to what I should do. I was still very much naive been out of the family home less than two months.

I struggled to juggle everything, and this impacted on my focus on the course and indeed completion of work. I was referred to a counselor, of which did help, but only in the short-term. Therapy ended, and I resumed back to a normal routine of doing things, my condition deteriorated and it got to the point where I was so panicky because the workload piled up, I didn't know who to turn to, I kept the university informed but I wasn't really enjoying it. I think I was just kidding myself that I could pass. Or maybe I thought I could.

I've been to the doctors twice in the duration of being here, its the second visit now, and I am on medication for depression. I know that it is all in my head, the negative self talk. But because of this I find it hard to complete work, with a few weeks left now. I had a word with my personal tutor and I've said I want to throw in the towel and leave because my health is deteriorating. I started uni with such an ambitious attitude and it all just seems to have turned into a nightmare. I guess one of my main problems is really been anxious in social context, this doesn't help, and I think this has impacted on my overall ability to seek help and advice from lecturers.

Okay so here is my actual point of the thread; I am wanting to leave now, because I feel that there's no point in being here if I am no longer committed. That's the truth. I want to take some time out to reassess my life and decide what I wish to do. Although I think that I do want to pursue education (Higher education) sometime soon, but just need clarity of mind. I feel I want to apply in 2013 to do some sort of digital arts/media themed course, since this would match my ideals, and strength of character.

Problem is, I want to apply to my local university only and I guess really I am panicking because its really a 50/50 chance I'll get in. I don't want to live from regrets. But if I dropped out, in the knowledge I'll reapply and I don't get in I'll be gutted. I mean that's life, but what would people suggest or what advice would people give me?

I'm not sure I could handle living away again (or moving away so soon after coming home) so going to a uni too far away would mean more agro for me.
Any advice?
Original post by royal1990
Hello,

I am currently an undergraduate in my first year studying for a degree BA(single hons) in Graphic Design. From the onset I was having difficulties adjusting, my student finance was delayed and so this caused me unnecessary stress and worry, leading to uncertainty as to what I should do. I was still very much naive been out of the family home less than two months.

I struggled to juggle everything, and this impacted on my focus on the course and indeed completion of work. I was referred to a counselor, of which did help, but only in the short-term. Therapy ended, and I resumed back to a normal routine of doing things, my condition deteriorated and it got to the point where I was so panicky because the workload piled up, I didn't know who to turn to, I kept the university informed but I wasn't really enjoying it. I think I was just kidding myself that I could pass. Or maybe I thought I could.

I've been to the doctors twice in the duration of being here, its the second visit now, and I am on medication for depression. I know that it is all in my head, the negative self talk. But because of this I find it hard to complete work, with a few weeks left now. I had a word with my personal tutor and I've said I want to throw in the towel and leave because my health is deteriorating. I started uni with such an ambitious attitude and it all just seems to have turned into a nightmare. I guess one of my main problems is really been anxious in social context, this doesn't help, and I think this has impacted on my overall ability to seek help and advice from lecturers.

Okay so here is my actual point of the thread; I am wanting to leave now, because I feel that there's no point in being here if I am no longer committed. That's the truth. I want to take some time out to reassess my life and decide what I wish to do. Although I think that I do want to pursue education (Higher education) sometime soon, but just need clarity of mind. I feel I want to apply in 2013 to do some sort of digital arts/media themed course, since this would match my ideals, and strength of character.

Problem is, I want to apply to my local university only and I guess really I am panicking because its really a 50/50 chance I'll get in. I don't want to live from regrets. But if I dropped out, in the knowledge I'll reapply and I don't get in I'll be gutted. I mean that's life, but what would people suggest or what advice would people give me?

I'm not sure I could handle living away again (or moving away so soon after coming home) so going to a uni too far away would mean more agro for me.
Any advice?

Think carefully. Do you want to do a degree in graphic design and will it provide you with the career prospects your after. Listen to your instinct- if you want to leave then it doesnt really matter about the increased fees, because they'll be loads of others whove dropped out and are starting again. If your instinct is telling you to stay then seek more counselling or just a talk with family or close friends about whats bothering you. As for worrying about not getting in there was this girl from my college who applied to only one local uni and she got in, but this had fairly low entry requirements. So if youve met the requirements or are confident you can for 2013 then you can always apply for the one local uni and if that doesnt work out apply through ucas extra- if you get no offers it allows you to choose another uni later on. However isnt there another also local or localish like maybe up to an hour away that does a similar course? If i were you id look at prospectus and uni websites to find out what modules there are at a few unis in your local area. Look at the positives- you now have learnt something about yourself and know confidently that you want to be close to home. Also if youve got people you know well around you at home and use them for support then things can only get better. But dont be afraid of going slightly further afield like say a uni about an hour away, because some people live at uni but come home every weekend, so thats an option. There's nothing to panic about- your obviously clever enough to get onto a graphic course so if youve got a decent portfolio, particularly at a time when unis are desperate for students to pay the increased fees the local uni will let you in, but whereabouts do you live? You could always apply to just one more localish to give yourself that extra chance. Be proud of yourself for trying your best despite your health problems and for trying time away from home.
Reply 2
Original post by royal1990
Hello,

Any advice?

You only live once honey! Do what you feel, I'm assuming that graphic design is something that you can freelance in, no? There's nothing worse than sticking with something that makes you unhappy. If you're confident that you can move on and succeed without your current university then do just that - you don't want to be paying for thousands of pounds of debt for a course you detested.

Good luck whatever you choose!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending