The Student Room Group

Is TSR home to some of Britain's most intelligent people (judging by their GCSE's)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alexandra's Box
It is a nerd site.

I'm starting to worry that it's no longer a nerd site but a forum for Trolls either that or some members of this have no idea of the real world.

OP
I didn't get all As or A* it's not the end of the world, I still got all my offers from Uni e.t.c. I've even been told by some users that my GCSEs are absolutely ridiculous e.t.c. and that I shouldn't be proud of them (despite not getting anything lower then a C and doing 2 foundation exams) but seriously they've gotten me to college and gotten me jobs e.t.c. so I'm not bothered.
Original post by popsicles3
Lots of people on here don't have good grades. I got 7 Cs in my GCSEs, but no matter what you got/are getting, it's never going to be a bad thing to come and see what else is out there and be able to find out about courses, qualifications ect from other students :smile:

High five for the 7 C's!
Ive sortof wondered this since i started coming here, there are soooo many people with alot of A*s. But i assumed that the reason for it is because of the nature of the site, no-one who isnt bothered about exams and education is going to go on the internet to discuss exams with other people.
Reply 23
Ha, not at all.
Reply 24
Grades don't really come into it, but I have come across some exceptionally intelligent posters on this forum, yes. Having said that, I've also come across some equally intelligent people on other, non-student based forums.
Reply 25
Grades/numbers & letters on a sheet of paper =/= Intellect.
Perhaps people on TSR might be more academic on average, just because academic people are a bit more likely to visit a student site.

But I wouldn't assume that everyone on TSR is some kind of genius. You see people with lots of A*s mostly because those are the people who will be willing to tell you their results. Perhaps there are people who failed all their GCSE's on here - but they're probably not going to show off about it in their signatures.
Reply 27
I got C for Maths, which is a big improvement after getting U's. Got a C in ICT after not realising I'd left a whole section out and having to rush it for the deadline. Failing additional science but I'm not good at science, I revise and revise but nothing goes in. For R.E I got A in mock and am hoping for an A*. I'm good at some subjects but some not so much
Original post by ritchie888
High five for the 7 C's!

:cheers:
Original post by milkytea
Grades don't really come into it, but I have come across some exceptionally intelligent posters on this forum, yes. Having said that, I've also come across some equally intelligent people on other, non-student based forums.

It's easy to come across as intelligent on the internet, though - especially with Google at your fingertips!
Reply 30
Original post by Brit_Miller
It's easy to come across as intelligent on the internet, though - especially with Google at your fingertips!

That's true:tongue:, but I've actually had some in-depth discussions with people on this forum, and not about subjects which you could read up about on Wikipedia. They still come across as very, very smart.
It's obviously a show of intelligence but also a testament to how hard you're willing to work. I'd like to think mine are a result of sheer hard work and effort, particularly in the case of my A levels and degree. Also, I don't really care for people who put results in their sigs - a) they're probably lying, b) it doesn't affect my life whatsoever, and c) it makes other people embarrassed about their achievements. Oh and I'm not saying this because I'm jealous, I have my fair share of A*s too.. but anyway, once you get to Uni your results at GCSE don't even matter anymore. Likewise with A Levels after you graduate. They're all just 'stepping stones' - so as long as your results have got you to where you want to be, that's all that matters.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think it works two ways. I have average GCSEs and dropped out of college, but since I've been back and am doing well at uni, I wanna tell someone when I get a great result. But I don't 'cause you usually just sound like a knob.
Original post by MrHappy_J
It's home to some of the most stupid people in Britain judging by some threads/posts.

:rofl: True.
Original post by + polarity -
:rofl: True.

How did you get so many warning points?

I didn't take GCSEs so I have no idea how well I would have done. Probably quite badly.
Original post by nerd434
Exams don't necessarily test your intelligence, they test your willingness to learn content that most probably will have little relevance to your life.

Agreed.
I think I got 2 A* 1 A 4 Bs and 2 Cs, which I think was pretty good since I literally did not do one little bit of revision and hardly paid attention in class...I just wanted to go out and have fun at that age
Original post by MrHappy_J
How did you get so many warning points?

I didn't take GCSEs so I have no idea how well I would have done. Probably quite badly.

I'm a recidivist.

What did you do instead? :redface:
Reply 38
I'm a recidivist.

Same. :frown:

Oh, no one is reading the title of the thread - OP mentioned specifically JUDGING by GCSEs - didn't want a debate regarding how GCSEs do not reflect true intellect.
I'm a recidivist.

I have no idea what that means lol :biggrin:

I was schooled in Spain so I have an ESO certificate. The level is nowhere near the same, especially in maths and of course, English, which is taught as a foreign language. I probably would have done better at an international school.

Quick Reply

Latest