The Student Room Group

David Cameron: "The time has come for gay couples to marry"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Annoying-Mouse
It's not really democrats fault. It's only recently that America's public support for gay marriage outweigh their opposition to it. Support for gay marriage has risen by 20% in 16 years. I wouldn't be surprised if it's past between the next 10 years. I don't think democrat politicians oppose it.

Neither Democrats, nor Centrist Republicans (the few that are left that is), oppose same-sex marriage; its been passed state-after-state in the past few years, with majority Democrat support and minority Republican support combined. Indeed, as you mentioned, given the majority of the public support same-sex marriage, there are suggestions that President Obama may announce the legalisation of same-sex marriage come the Democratic National Convention.
Original post by Happydude
I think that it is down to differences in how our countries are governed, rather than reluctance to allow it.

Indeed; most of the US public supports same-sex marriage, as with the case here in the UK.
Reply 22
Original post by Martyn*
He's doing this for votes. It is as plain as the scar on Helen Mirren's cheek.

Whose votes? ~3-6% of the population? Hardly a massive group of people.
Reply 23
Oh look it's May 3rd, and not 10pm yet
I can't imagine his far-right party members are too pleased with this. Still, anything that ****es them off makes me happy :cool:
Original post by Perseveranze
Disappointing to say the least.

If by granting gays marriage rights increases their willingness to "come out", then I can see nothing good or progressive in this. I fear that the social pressure will inevitably increase, and the statistics for depression and suicides will also be higher.

For a mere title, it was/is not worth it.

What? Social pressure will increase? Depression will increase? Surely, pressure will decrease as a minority group will get closer to an equal status, and therefore will be less depressed, and less suicidal?
Original post by badcheesecrispy
'I support gay marriage because I am a Conservative' -LMAO one of the most contradictory clown statements I've ever seen hahahaha

Eh?

If conservatism wanted literally everything to always stay the same then they'd still support slavery, the death penalty and be opposed to female suffrage. The reality is that the ideology is perfectly open to change providing that it's incremental and society has shown a demand for that change. Equally a hallmark of conservatism is preserving institutions, yes, however when those institutions show themselves to be becoming less relevant, they accept that change is necessary.

So in other words, in 2012 supporting gay marriage in the name of conservatism is actually quite sensible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jamieguitar101
I'm in no way homophobic but should the goverment have a say on religion?

I don't think Cameron is forcing it on Churches. Remember that if you want Churches to have complete freedom of who they marry, then you would also have to allow, say, if a Church was racist and refused to marry mixed-race couples.

Anyway, marriage isn't a religious thing - atheists are called married couples after all.
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
I get the impression that you don't really understand conservatism ...

Yes I do, that it might be more economic than social doesnt change the meaning of conservative :biggrin: also we know many Torys and traditionally conservative people are against gay matrimony
Original post by Perseveranze
Disappointing to say the least.

If by granting gays marriage rights increases their willingness to "come out", then I can see nothing good or progressive in this. I fear that the social pressure will inevitably increase, and the statistics for depression and suicides will also be higher.

For a mere title, it was/is not worth it.

Once again coming out with all the *******s!
Reply 30
Original post by Mad Vlad
No.

Why can't we? Why shouldn't two people of the same gender get married? Are you stuck in 1995 or something?
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
I get the impression that you don't really understand conservatism ...

Clearly neither do you....
This sounds super silly but I'm all teary eyed and happy about it. I know we're past all of the really bad homophobia and I've never had to experience it but I never thought that I'd be able to get married. Even when I was a tiny little kid I knew that a woman doesn't marry a woman. And now I know that I will probably be able to. I never even entertained the idea of me getting married ever and now I'm daydreaming about rainbow coloured cake and stuff. :biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by NB_ide
Why can't we? Why shouldn't two people of the same gender get married? Are you stuck in 1995 or something?

What the **** are you on about? :lolwut:

Clearly you're not following what I'm saying. I'm saying - no, gay couples don't have to get married. I also don't like your use of "we" - your incoherence is making me think you're asking me to marry you. :lolwut:
yay! Gay marriage! We 'da progressive ones man :tongue:eace:
Reply 35
Original post by Martyn*
He's doing this for votes. It is as plain as the scar on Helen Mirren's cheek.

rational vote maximising
Great. I will allow him to stay for a a little while as long as he makes this happen.
Original post by Violet_apple
This sounds super silly but I'm all teary eyed and happy about it. I know we're past all of the really bad homophobia and I've never had to experience it but I never thought that I'd be able to get married. Even when I was a tiny little kid I knew that a woman doesn't marry a woman. And now I know that I will probably be able to. I never even entertained the idea of me getting married ever and now I'm daydreaming about rainbow coloured cake and stuff. :biggrin:

Im so happy for you :smile:

Nothing wrong with lesbianism and I think most straight males would agree with me...:biggrin:

Every person should be allowed to marry who they love as I believe that is what marriage should be based on. religious arguments dont come into it as atheists are married as has been said. Hope you get to marry the woman of your dreams :biggrin:
Original post by Mad Vlad
I also don't like your use of "we" - your incoherence is making me think you're asking me to marry you. :lolwut:

:mmm:
When are they going to legalise incest?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending