The Student Room Group

David Cameron: "The time has come for gay couples to marry"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by PeterOkenla11
Loool i know that! im just saying since they've legalised gay marrige they should legalise incest too. you cant help who you fall in love with? or would you disagree?

I really do wish people like you would stop comparing homosexuality with incest, pedophilia, beastiality and necrophilia. We love other living, adult human beings...we don't molest animals or children, nor do we have sex with our blood relatives or dead cousins.
Reply 81
Original post by Playa10
Perhaps if he concentrated more on the economy and less on homos, we wouldn't be in this economic mess. Needs to get his priorities straight!

right, because in the time he spent saying "The time has come for gay couples to marry" he could have solved unemployment.
Reply 82
Original post by Playa10
They have equal rights in respect of everything through civil partnership. Not sure why he's going to waste Commons time in debating about this trivial issue

Because its an issue affecting a large portion of the UK community, therefore it should be debated through the normal channels? Run along now, privileged heterosexual. Jump back in your bubble.
Reply 83
Original post by lucaf
right, because in the time he spent saying "The time has come for gay couples to marry" he could have solved unemployment.

Time spent in debating about this issue in the Commons is time wasted.
Reply 84
Original post by Miracle Day
And I'm a Christian

That comes as a massive surprise.
Reply 85
Original post by ohirome
Because its an issue affecting a large portion of the UK community, therefore it should be debated through the normal channels? Run along now, privileged heterosexual. Jump back in your bubble.

How are they being affected you blithering homo? They have equal rights in respect of everything...how is allowing them to get married change anything? Just homos seeking attention that's all
Reply 86
Original post by minimarshmallow
Where are you getting the ~3-6% figure from?

Stonewall and the ONS.
Reply 87
Good good.
Reply 88
Original post by Playa10
Time spent in debating about this issue in the Commons is time wasted.

its a legitimate issue that many people feel strongly about, it would be disgraceful if it wasn't at least discussed.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Stonewall and the ONS.

Yeah but what is the statistic? Is it the reported prevalence of gay people?
I just say it because not only gay people are in favour of gay marriage and therefore may be swayed towards voting for Cameron because of this...
tbh, this is the sort of issue that would swing my vote so fair play dave.
Reply 91
Original post by Playa10
How are they being affected you blithering homo? They have equal rights in respect of everything...how is allowing them to get married change anything? Just homos seeking attention that's all

No, we do not have equal rights. Equal rights means giving one section of society *exactly* the same as the other. We don't have that yet. Blithering? No, just intolerant of idiotic homophobes who seem to think that its a waste of time for the Prime Minister of this country to push for full equality for homosexuals. Do you think he could pop off and sort out all the other issues instead of doing this? Nah, I don't think so. Why not complain about the vast array of seemingly pointless things he does every day? And yes, we are seeking attention...perhaps so the future generations won't be as hideously narrow minded as you. :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by Playa10

if they cannot get married, it is not equal rights. the distinction implies inferiority. demanding respect and equality is not seeking attention
Reply 93
Original post by lucaf
its a legitimate issue that many people feel strongly about, it would be disgraceful if it wasn't at least discussed.

They have exactly the same rights as hetros through CP's...i'm not sure what they are claiming! You can't say getting married will give them equal rights since they already have equal rights. It makes very little sense.
This is great :smile:
Original post by Playa10
They have exactly the same rights as hetros through CP's...i'm not sure what they are claiming! You can't say getting married will give them equal rights since they already have equal rights. It makes very little sense.

No they don't.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/17/gay-marriage-civil-partnerships

Civil partners of male peers or knights do not receive a courtesy title to which the spouse of a peer or knight would be entitled.

Also, why shouldn't it be called the same thing? Separate but equal all over again.
Original post by badcheesecrispy
Yes I do, that it might be more economic than social doesnt change the meaning of conservative :biggrin: also we know many Torys and traditionally conservative people are against gay matrimony

Original post by LionKingLover94
Clearly neither do you....

(What I said after in an edit)

"If conservatism wanted literally everything to always stay the same then conservatives would still support slavery, the death penalty and be opposed to female suffrage. The reality is that the ideology is perfectly open to change providing that it's incremental and society has shown a demand for that change. Equally a hallmark of conservatism is preserving institutions, yes, however when those institutions show themselves to be becoming less relevant, they accept that change is necessary."
Reply 97
Original post by ohirome
No, we do not have equal rights. Equal rights means giving one section of society *exactly* the same as the other. We don't have that yet. Blithering? No, just intolerant of idiotic homophobes who seem to think that its a waste of time for the Prime Minister of this country to push for full equality for homosexuals. Do you think he could pop off and sort out all the other issues instead of doing this? Nah, I don't think so. Why not complain about the vast array of seemingly pointless things he does every day? And yes, we are seeking attention...perhaps so the future generations won't be as hideously narrow minded as you. :smile:

Go read up on the many rights enjoyed by married couples, and then read up on the rights enjoyed by homos in CP's. The rights are exactly the same. There is equality in that respect. The only difference is that for homos, its called CP, but for hetros, its called marriage. You get the same thing, but through a different label. Indeed, as Lady Hale pointed out, CP's are marriage in all but name. Perhaps you should control your emotions and stop labelling every little thing homophobic and look at this objectively.
Original post by ohirome
I really do wish people like you would stop comparing homosexuality with incest, pedophilia, beastiality and necrophilia. We love other living, adult human beings...we don't molest animals or children, nor do we have sex with our blood relatives or dead cousins.

Whos comparing homesexuality with incest? not me. What you dont understand is that i am a libertarian. Being black i understand and sympathise with any minority groups. By asking these questions i am assesing the mind set of people who say they agree with gay marrige. I want to know wether its because theyve overcome the simple mindedness of the status-qou or simply following the status quo! as popularity of the rights of gays has risen! ok but other groups such as incest people will still be scolded untl its become a case. Remember the sae people who now support gay marrige are the same people who would take offense by being called gay, ive witnessed a boy being put in detention for calling another gay? i wonder if he called hi straight he would get a detention. Even in games the word gay is censored? wtf? i want to see a cultural change! Even now i become a target now and again of racism, and gays will still be discriminated aganst. this is not enough...is only 1 victory, 1 battle, but were fighting a war.
Reply 99
Original post by Playa10

the fact there is a distinction implies inferiority. saying they should be happy with civil partnerships is like saying that black people in segregated america should have been happy with their coloured only water fountains, because it tastes the same.

it is not equality

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending