Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

The Standard Grade Chemistry Thread!

Announcements Posted on
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha96)
    Do you like it? Does it have the little mini quizzes in it like the physics one does?
    I'm just trying to work out whether it would be worth my while nipping down to the library to borrow a copy or if I should just focus on my revision cards/past papers at this point.
    I'm not sure whether it would make a significant difference, after all both textbooks are authorised and presumably have to contain all the content of the course.

As for small tests, they have the quick questions at the bottom of the page but they are really simple and have no comparison to the exam questions. They do help re-iterate knowledge though!

And you know how in the Physics book they had a 'Test your Knowledge' page at the end of each topic, well the Chemistry book doesn't have that because there is a lot more topics. It just has the small ones at the bottom of each page.

It's still good though, it's worked for me since S3!
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerd434)
    I'm not sure whether it would make a significant difference, after all both textbooks are authorised and presumably have to contain all the content of the course.

As for small tests, they have the quick questions at the bottom of the page but they are really simple and have no comparison to the exam questions. They do help re-iterate knowledge though!

And you know how in the Physics book they had a 'Test your Knowledge' page at the end of each topic, well the Chemistry book doesn't have that because there is a lot more topics. It just has the small ones at the bottom of each page.

It's still good though, it's worked for me since S3!
    Thank you!

I don't think I'll go out of my way to pick up a copy then- sounds roughly like the one I already have! Although I do like the end of topic quiz idea- it's good when you are revising in a group.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anthonyfl)
    Is it not called the mass number?
    Yes it is. But the question was what is the same elements with different mass numbers called or something like that.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFOMaster)
    Yes it is. But the question was what is the same elements with different mass numbers called or something like that.
    Cool
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've almost finished revising the whole course! Only got to go over Ionic Formulae, Bonding Properties and Fuels/Hydrocarbons and then I'm done and can move on to Past Papers!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've almost finished revising the whole course! Only got to go over Ionic Formulae, Bonding Properties and Fuels/Hydrocarbons and then I'm done and can move on to Past Papers!
    I just go straight to past papers and when I trip up on something I learn it. Although I have a chemistry tutor It doesn't mean I don't need to work hard though
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have had a total of 7 chemistry teachers for the course of my standard grade + a whole bunch of suppply teachers. The joys of going to a Sottish state school..... :unimpressed:

I borrowed the standard grade textbook of one of my friends who sat her standard grades last year and it was pretty good. Past papers are also an amazing method of revisision. There's some recurring things and some patterns in the layout too.

Being as geeky as I am I actually enjoy doing past papers

I also really love chemistry I think its really interesting and just genuinely enjoy it.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Neuro-)
    I have had a total of 7 chemistry teachers for the course of my standard grade + a whole bunch of suppply teachers. The joys of going to a Sottish state school..... :unimpressed:

I borrowed the standard grade textbook of one of my friends who sat her standard grades last year and it was pretty good. Past papers are also an amazing method of revisision. There's some recurring things and some patterns in the layout too.

I also really love chemistry I think its really interesting and just genuinely enjoy it.
    You feel like a boss when you know everything in the course and you are just whistling through every past paper :ahee:..
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    That smiley you put on the end pretty much sums up my face after doing past papers. Eh.. meh not like a boss .. I am a boss. :fatcontroller:.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I also love doing past papers I'm not yet bashing through them, but I'm close
    So I'll hopefully get a 1 :cool:
    Do you choose Chemistry for next year?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with the exam! It feels like ages since I did mine.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    I also love doing past papers I'm not yet bashing through them, but I'm close
    So I'll hopefully get a 1 :cool:
    Do you choose Chemistry for next year?
    Yeah I did, I've got a really good teacher next year so I'll hopefully do well, did you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For all those who wanted access to 'evans2chemweb' like I did, but school isn't signed up, just use this username and password, the stuff is helpful...

http://edubuzz.org/mgschemistry/stan...evans2chemweb/

Have fun, and I wish all of us luck on Monday!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha96)
    Do you like it? Does it have the little mini quizzes in it like the physics one does?
    I'm just trying to work out whether it would be worth my while nipping down to the library to borrow a copy or if I should just focus on my revision cards/past papers at this point.
    Ive got a blue chemcord book, the small one.

A big red hodder and gibson one.

Loads of others which were passed down,

I prefer the small one due to the precise notes it gives.

How y'all doing in revision? Not been on this in a few days !
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did, I've got a really good teacher next year so I'll hopefully do well, did you?
    I did I didn't have a choice tbh as I want to do Veterinary Medicine at Uni.
    But I like chemistry so it's not a problem for me.

Music revision for me today and I'm starting hardcore chem. revision tomorrow
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Neuro-)

Likewise, you get pastpapers which depress you to the max but chemistry one I enjoy, it was the same with physics.

Jeez im such a weird child!:rolleyes:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try to master all the calculations and graphs/predictions etc, they can give you a good 8 marks in the exams!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone walk me through a calculation and give me a bit help.

It's these ones that are the only ones i'm having slight trouble with.

(c)The average volume of sulphuric acid used in the titration is
    20 cm3
    Calculate the number of moles of sulphuric acid used. (this is into a 10cm3 solution of potassium hydroxide by the way).

AND

(d) H2SO4 + 2KOH > K2SO4 + 2H20

Using your answer from part (c)(, calculate the number of moles of
    potassium hydroxide in the 10 cm3
    sample of potassium hydroxide solution.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Heyy I've got the exam as well, 6 days and counting :/ how is everyone getting on with revising? I am doing General past papers and getting 3's each time and mostly 2's in the credit but I would like a 2 anyway and your practical grade earns you a 1 if you have a 1,1

Anyway a guy came to our school to talk about revision techniques, I have highlighted nearly all of my success guide etc and its sinking in, I got 4,4 in prelim so you can see I'm improving aha. And he also said if you spray your hand with an aftershave/perfume and smell it every now and then when revising then spray the same aftershave/perfume on the day of the exam some memories will come flooding back before smell/taste holds the strongest memories.

So uh...yeah, thats that, I can't do that though, I have a cold lol
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigChimp)
    Can someone walk me through a calculation and give me a bit help.

It's these ones that are the only ones i'm having slight trouble with.

(c)The average volume of sulphuric acid used in the titration is
    20 cm3
    Calculate the number of moles of sulphuric acid used. (this is into a 10cm3 solution of potassium hydroxide by the way).

AND

(d) H2SO4 + 2KOH > K2SO4 + 2H20

Using your answer from part (c)(, calculate the number of moles of
    potassium hydroxide in the 10 cm3
    sample of potassium hydroxide solution.
    I looked up the past paper, 2011?

(c) Well, if you look at the wee diagram of the titration set up, you'll see that the H2SO4 conc. is 0.1M.

you know that n = c * v(litres)

Therefore:
    n = 0.1 * (20/1000)
    n = 0.002 moles

(d) Use link-proportion

If 1 mol H2SO4 reacts with 2 mol KOH
    Therefore, 0.002 mol reacts with 0.004 mol KOH

So the answer is 0.004 mol KOH

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 31, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.