The Student Room Group

The Standard Grade Chemistry Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Ive been at pastpaper all day, was up till 12 last night doing the ancient ones.

If you get a 1 in ku and a 2 in ps, whats your overall grade?

Someone reply..
I am doing Intermediate 2 Chemistry instead of Standard Grade. Anyone else?
Reply 62
Original post by Aay
Ive been at pastpaper all day, was up till 12 last night doing the ancient ones.

If you get a 1 in ku and a 2 in ps, whats your overall grade?

Someone reply..

(Ku x2) + (PS x2) + Practical Grade - Then divide the answer by 5

So in your case ( assuming you got a 1 in your practical) :

(1*2) + (2*2) + 1 = 7

7/5 = 1.4

= Grade 1
Original post by nerd434
I'm sure there's someone, how are you finding it? Difficult? Easy?

I'm doing an Intermediate 2 course in Biology alongside my five Highers next year as a Int 2/Credit is required for Medicine.

It is pretty hard. I would say it is the hardest subject I have had to do in my Standard Grades but I am sure everyone finds chemistry hard that way.

In the Int 2 exam you do 30 multiple choice questions in Section A then 13-15 'proper' questions in Section B. It is all pretty similar to Standard Grade although I think that the Int 2 exams are a bit harder than the Standard Grade exams from me looking at both types of exams.

Still, I am aiming for a grade A on Monday since I have been consistently getting grade A's in the practice papers and past papers. Chemistry is hard but not impossible!
Original post by -Neuro-
God the exams just tomorrow! :eek:

How is everyones prep been going?

How hard have all your other subjects been?

French was alright...might have scraped a 3 with full overall grade.

Thats the only one I've done ._. i've got 6 exams left..history, chem, bio etc grr.

But apparently the exams are really hard this year so I'm expecting the credit to be quite bad.
Is it just me who would be happy with an overall 2? ..Cause everyone seems to be desperate for a 1 and I would be the happiest person ever with a 2
Original post by -Neuro-
God the exams just tomorrow! :eek:

How is everyones prep been going?

How hard have all your other subjects been?

I think I'm ok. :erm: Just want to have a final look over the calculation questions.
How about you? :smile:

I've only done two so far. The physics was really, really hard but the modern studies was fairly straight forward.
Reply 67
I've done maths, physics, french, music, geaography and home ec so far, only got chemistry and int 2 english to go :biggrin: maths paper 1 was shocking but paper 2 was incredibly easy :smile: french was okay, i'll at least get a 2, music was harder than most past papers i've done as was geography and physics but i still think ive done okay :smile: im pretty much ready for chemistry tomorrow but i'm dreading english! Anybody else doing int 2 english?
Original post by r.b.m
Anybody else doing int 2 english?

Me. :hi:

There is a thread here but there's not many of us! I think you make six. :smile:
Original post by MySchoolIsAFailure
Is it just me who would be happy with an overall 2? ..Cause everyone seems to be desperate for a 1 and I would be the happiest person ever with a 2

By the sound of it everyone else had pretty good teachers... Should I assume that you (like me) had an awful one? That being said, I'm still expecting a 1. No reason not to aim for that, I suppose. :tongue:
Reply 70
Are many of you guys also taking biology? I always end up confusing the two and over-explaining photosynthesis and the like..
Original post by EllenES
Are many of you guys also taking biology? I always end up confusing the two and over-explaining photosynthesis and the like..

Yeah I do that! It's usually fermentation and enzymes that I ramble on about before remembering that it's not necessary! :lol:
Reply 72
All the best for tomorrow everyone! :smile:
What are your predictions as to what will come up?
For geography someone uploaded older past papers and I was just wondering if anyone knew of anyone who has done this for chemistry? If not that's cool I have the latest papers anyway!
I'm hoping to get a 1, for the prelim I missed it by one mark!
Reply 73
Original post by tasha96
I think I'm ok. :erm: Just want to have a final look over the calculation questions.
How about you? :smile:

I've only done two so far. The physics was really, really hard but the modern studies was fairly straight forward.

It's going quite good.
I'm not losing more than 2 marks per paper so I'm fairly confident :s-smilie:

Please SQA be nice to us :please:

Our schools results where quite bad only 4 people got 1,1 s and about 90% of failed the credit paper.

Whose taking higher chemistry next year?
Reply 74
Its weird , doesnt feel like the exam is tommorow.

Its going o.......k for me, ive done from 98 to 2010, doing 2011 now and planning to look over notes.

Overall from the pastpapers im doing i only lose about 2/3 marks from ku and ps so im hoping its good?

Just want it over with tbh..
Reply 75
Original post by -Neuro-
It's going quite good.

Our schools results where quite bad only 4 people got 1,1 s and about 90% of failed the credit paper.

I got a 1 in the ku for my prelim but messed the ps up really badly in both which left me with a 4, overall grade a 3, was gutted to the max.

Im doing higher..
Original post by -Neuro-
It's going quite good.

:wavey:

I am. (must be mad.:lol: )

Yeah, our results were awful as well. I think that there was about four of us who passed both elements of the credit. :facepalm:

The thing is there wasn't much excuse for it. I mean we had really bad issues with one of the teachers (not going to go into details but there was lots of tears and no learning) but the other teacher was an absolute saint. She organized extra classes for almost every day in the run up to the prelim either at lunchtimes or after school- she stayed and taught a group of us until 6 in the evening at one point.
Reading through this has depressed me quite a bit. Everyone seems so prepared! I've been using the 'How To Pass SG Chemistry' book and going through it topic by topic. I'm only on topic 9 (having missed out topics 5 and 6 to save time - will read through them later) and I'm yet to do a past paper. I'm taking higher and so need a credit grade! Think I might scrap my note taking and do a past paper now! Feeling so bad about tomorrow! And my chemistry teacher was pretty awful too! Oh dear
Good luck guys! <3
Original post by nerd434
Don't worry about it! If you go into the exam worrying, you won't be able to think clearly and you won't do as well.

A lot of the Credit paper gives you easy marks, for example through graph, predictions and looking up things in the data booklet.

If you got a 1 for your Practical grade, that means you could get a 3 for KU and a 2 for PS and get an overall 2! Or the other way around..

I would just advise you to go through as many past papers as possible and look at the marking scheme because the same type of questions come up year after year so if you remember some of the marking scheme answers, that will put you in good stead!

Yeah, I guess I should calm down a bit but I am pretty bad for worrying! Haha.

And yeah, that's a good point about the easy marks for graphs etc. Away to work through as many past papers as I can! Fun, fun, fun. And I did get a 1 for the practical so I guess that's a plus!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending