The Student Room Group

The Standard Grade Chemistry Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by nerd434
Sorry I don't know what question you're talking about, the one where it asked what the chemical reaction was?

Yeah I wrote oxidation when it was losing electrons.

I circled CO and NO2, Nitrogen Dioxide is toxic once inhaled..

Yh the one it asked what type of reaction it was.

I forgot to ask my school, but its possible to change your subjects after receiving the results isn't it?
What did you guys do for the qs that want you to draw a line showing how the pH increases when you add water or something? I just drew a diagonal line cause I couldn't think! I'm not sure if that's what you're supposed to do.
The exam was fairly straight forward but one question seemed irrational to me...

There was a graph showing that, as temperature increased, percentage ammonia decreased and the question asked "why was 500 degrees used instead of 200 degrees". It seems that they either got the values on the graph or the wording of the question wrong. What did everyone else get for this? It was KU if that helps.
Reply 103
Original post by nerd434
You had to draw a line diagonally, but it wasn't meant to go past pH 7. If you add water to an acid it doesn't turn into an Alkali..

You know in q1, was the last fraction ( one used for tar roads) the one with the longest chain of ....
Original post by JackE5
You know in q1, was the last fraction ( one used for tar roads) the one with the longest chain of ....

yes, it was the last fraction ... as it has the most no. of carbons and so is the longest chain
Original post by nerd434
Sorry I don't know what question you're talking about, the one where it asked what the chemical reaction was?

Yeah I wrote oxidation when it was losing electrons.

I circled CO and NO2, Nitrogen Dioxide is toxic once inhaled..

I wasn't entirely sure about that one since, if you inhale hydrochloric gas, it will dissolve in the alveoli of your lungs. I'll probably regret putting HCl instead of NO2... I suppose NO2 is toxic, HCl is just corrosive.
Reply 106
See the question with what type of chemical reaction was and it was talking about starch?

What was the answer?

and the same question but about titanium ?
Original post by AtomSmasher
The exam was fairly straight forward but one question seemed irrational to me...

There was a graph showing that, as temperature increased, percentage ammonia decreased and the question asked "why was 500 degrees used instead of 200 degrees". It seems that they either got the values on the graph or the wording of the question wrong. What did everyone else get for this? It was KU if that helps.

I agree with you, will be interesting to see what others wrote for that.
Chemistry has never been my strongest point but that General exam was a breeze. I sat doing nothing for about forty minutes.

The credit was okay, but the questions involving the ion bridge always confuse me. For the question on the ion bridge in the Credit paper what direction did you put the arrows in—left or right?
Reply 109
I put the reaction would be faster so it would save time, but that was a guess.
Reply 110
Original post by Skulduggery
Chemistry has never been my strongest point but that General exam was a breeze. I sat doing nothing for about forty minutes.

The credit was okay, but the questions involving the ion bridge always confuse me. For the question on the ion bridge in the Credit paper what direction did you put the arrows in—left or right?

I put left to right :smile:
Original post by cherryrose
I agree with you, will be interesting to see what others wrote for that.

My teacher had briefly explained that to me a few weeks ago. It's because the rate of the reaction is slower at the lower temperature so to increase the rate of the reaction they perform it at a higher temperature.
My teacher had briefly explained that to me a few weeks ago. It's because the rate of the reaction is slower at the lower temperature so to increase the rate of the reaction they perform it at a higher temperature.

Thanks, that makes sense. If only I had known it beforehand though!

Everyone finished an hour early and then the invigilators said for us to check our work so I slowly, absent-mindedly flicked through my paper until we had 10 minutes left. Then, when we got out, everyone was pissed at me. Apparently the entire hall had been waiting for me to finish looking over my work for at least 20 minutes. :facepalm2:
Original post by cherryrose
Thanks, that makes sense. If only I had known it beforehand though!

I didn't even get it right in the exam :frown:. As soon as I walked out of the exam hall I remembered it, and about four other answers..

Original post by AtomSmasher
Everyone finished an hour early and then the invigilators said for us to check our work so I slowly, absent-mindedly flicked through my paper until we had 10 minutes left. Then, when we got out, everyone was pissed at me. Apparently the entire hall had been waiting for me to finish looking over my work for at least 20 minutes. :facepalm2:

The same thing happened at my school for the credit but we had twenty minutes to go. It's not your fault you want to be cautious about your work :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nerd434
Do you have to wait for everyone to finish? If we finish early we can leave after 30 minutes!

I guess every schools different, in my school, the majority of people finished early so they let those who were done leave, but you could stay if you weren't :smile:
Original post by nerd434
Do you have to wait for everyone to finish? If we finish early we can leave after 30 minutes!

Well, we had been left sitting in exams for up to an hour before and hadn't been allowed to leave, so I assumed we always had to stay until the time limit was up. Clearly not. :redface:
Reply 117
Original post by nerd434

There was another question about an ionic equation for ammonia something and another one over the page, which asks you the ion-electron equation?

What did you get?
Original post by nerd434

Well, we had been left sitting in exams for up to an hour before and hadn't been allowed to leave, so I assumed we always had to stay until the time was up. Clearly not. :redface:
General was easy... I also sat a long time after, as I finished earlier.
Credit was ok :smile:

Original post by nerd434
Starch - Hydrolysis I think.

That's what I got... I hope its right :P

Original post by LEWIS4596
I put the reaction would be faster so it would save time, but that was a guess.

I also put that it would be faster. :smile:

Anyway chemistry was my first exam that I didn't stress over, which was weird.
Can't wait for Higher chemistry next year :biggrin: Woohoo

Quick Reply