Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whites only: Your views on asians

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
  • View Poll Results: Whites only: Your views on British Asians
    Yes, British born asians are a part of/equal to us
    78.28%
    No, we still view them as outsiders or 'other' people.
    21.72%

• 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    my name is rossa parks and i am joining this thread even though im not white!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suggsina)
    okay, not gonna lie, i stalked your picture...what asian are you? look pretty white to me
    50% Indian I'm also Irish, Swedish, American, Canadian, French and Scottish. I live in England however
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterOkenla11)
    Loool this is funny !

What do i have to say? well....

Britain was a small tiny country with a small GNP ( partly due to small population)

They somehow flourished, partly due to sugar exports due to the free labour ( slavery),
    Anyway... yeah there came two world wars.
    The same people britain enslaved ( dont forget plundered and colonized), openly fought for britain
    - 1million troops form india (less than 75% returned)

Anyways.... like britain had an economic crisis, as menial jobs were not being taken up and people rather would stay on benifits than 'scoop that low'.
    Wait is that Superman to save the day...Oh no its those guys from .... to take up all the jobs we wont do so the country can move forward wohooo.

And you have the audacity to say thier children born here are not British? I wonder if ysou know your own family History, im sure some of your ancestors were drunks, sexists and racist. and done far less in making Great Britain than some 'foriegners'.
    You do realise at the time that Britain was colonising the world that most of the people in Britain itself couldn't even vote and were in poverty. Also more British people fought in WW2 than Indian and more British people in WW2 died than Indian. So before you go and make out that all our ancestors were drunks, sexists and racists you should learn the god damn facts. Whilst we should be thankful to the contributions of immigrants they by no means contributed more or solely made Britain the way it was today.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    If they feel British then they're British to me, I don't care either way, some of my mates see their Asian identity as more important, some see British as more important, most balance it pretty well but it's no business of mine. They're no less British than me anyway I'm more Irish than English, my grandparents were immigrants and so were theirs so who am I to judge
    Like this post.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Loool this is funny !

What do i have to say? well....

Britain was a small tiny country with a small GNP ( partly due to small population)

They somehow flourished, partly due to sugar exports due to the free labour ( slavery),
    Anyway... yeah there came two world wars.
    The same people britain enslaved ( dont forget plundered and colonized), openly fought for britain
    - 1million troops form india (less than 75% returned)

Anyways.... like britain had an economic crisis, as menial jobs were not being taken up and people rather would stay on benifits than 'scoop that low'.
    Wait is that Superman to save the day...Oh no its those guys from .... to take up all the jobs we wont do so the country can move forward wohooo.

And you have the audacity to say thier children born here are not British? I wonder if ysou know your own family History, im sure some of your ancestors were drunks, sexists and racist. and done far less in making Great Britain than some 'foriegners'.
    It wasn't just "slaves" (that ended in the early 1800s and then Britain policed the seas returning 500,000 slaves taken by other slavers like the Spanish and the Portuguese) that made Britain rich. The British working class were used as fodder in the factories and mines of the UK during the industrial age - inadequate wages, long hours of work under sordid conditions, and the large-scale employment of women and children for tasks which destroy body and soul. Reports from investigating committees on coal mines found male and female children ten or even five years of age harnessed to heavy coal-sledges which they dragged crawling on their hands and knees. Life was hell for the majority of British people then.

Britain wasn't a small country anyway during the industrial revolution, it had probably the fastest growing population on the planet.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I bet if half of you went to visit Bradford for a few days you'd change your lefty opinion... just saying
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danlelle)
    I bet if half of you went to visit Bradford for a few days you'd change your lefty opinion... just saying
    Do you live in Bradford?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And what exactly is the point of this thread?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyanohydrin)
    Do you live in Bradford?
    Do I? No and wouldn't if my life depended on it. Have I been there and know people who live there? Yes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    im confused.

this is the 21st century, some people are different. GET OVER IT.

this is no cause for a debate, it's pathetic. get a life.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightstar-27)
    You do realise at the time that Britain was colonising the world that most of the people in Britain itself couldn't even vote and were in poverty. Also more British people fought in WW2 than Indian and more British people in WW2 died than Indian. So before you go and make out that all our ancestors were drunks, sexists and racists you should learn the god damn facts. Whilst we should be thankful to the contributions of immigrants they by no means contributed more or solely made Britain the way it was today.
    Hey no offence but if you can read, i never said immigrants contributed more or soley in making what britain is today, ( just significantly). Unless you can show me where i wrote that? Neither did i say that all britains ancestors were drunks, sexist and racist, i cleary stated some of them were. And if thats the case contribute less positiveley to britain than the so called immigrants ancestors. Thats the point i was trying to make, and thats the point i made. Any Objections?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think it all depends on the area you come from.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait I'm Mixed White and Asian can I vote in this Poll?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey no offence but if you can read, i never said immigrants contributed more or soley in making what britain is today, ( just significantly). Unless you can show me where i wrote that? Neither did i say that all britains ancestors were drunks, sexist and racist, i cleary stated some of them were. And if thats the case contribute less positiveley to britain than the so called immigrants ancestors. Thats the point i was trying to make, and thats the point i made. Any Objections?
    Could have better phrased it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned if they've got citizenship and can speak the language well enough to have a conversation with me, you're British. At the end of the day that's more or less the same as every other white British person you're going to meet (citizenship and language).

Either that or being born here, as I'm just a bit of a traditionalist like that... (irrespective of race).

A friend of mine which I met at College is originally from Bangladesh, however he came here to study (for medicine), got citizenship and can speak the language as good as any other British person - therefore he's British-Bangladeshi to me (and to him as well).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    as an indian i was british before i came to england, simply because my country was a part of yours
    therefore my family have been british since 1858

for those stupid enough not to know this date i suggest you go and find out,
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a person of Indian origin speaking here.

Who really gives a ****? Honestly? The thing with 'white' british kids these days is that they don't really understand the asian experience of the 60's- 90's. Where asians, DESPITE attempting to be British, even to the extent where many drank, went clubbing etc, were still seen as pakis that needed to go home. None of you really know what it's like to be spat on because of your skin colour, abused because of your accent, chased by the vicious dogs of white british people, or rejected by British society out right. No wonder many of this generation dont really care about being 'British'- their fathers and mothers tried, and were told where to go. (All of this happened to my dad, when he came to England in the 70s).

So on the one hand, its all well and good to say 'BE BRITISH' (though not really defining it) but completely ignore the effects that had in previous generations. I spent a long time in my teens wanting to do just that, and I eventually realised that noone, regardless of skin colour, needs to prove anything to anyone, especially a people who still feel they are somewhat superior.

If you want a really good account of all of this, I suggest you read Hanif Kureishi, Kenan Malik, or Salman Rushdie's early works.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danlelle)
    how so?
    I've lived in Bradford for the best part of a year now, and if anything I've got more left-wing.

Anyway, born in Britain = British. Ethnicity means nothing, if they're born on a particular piece of land then they're from that land.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    screwing for us mixed race kids
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm black. Am I allowed to post?
Updated: July 12, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.