Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What About The Hundreds Of Innocent People WE Are Killing With OUR Drone Strikes

Announcements Posted on
    • 106 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just seen this

, and it incredibly angers me that the person being interviewed initially said

"A group that appears to be aligning itself with Al Qaeda's violent agenda, is increasingly looking to attack Western interests in Nigeria, in addition to Nigerian government targets. More broadly, Al Qaeda is killing of innocents, mostly Muslim men, women and children, has barely tarnished it's image and appeal in the eyes of Muslims around the world"

See how he mentions Western interests. I suppose if Iranian interests were jeopardised, it wouldn't count as terrorism then?

Then he implies that Muslims actually like Al Qaeda. For a counter terrorism policy maker, it's a very stupid comment to make. It only serves to alienate people more, as well as segregating many people. He helps the stereotype that "Muslims are all terrorists" even though the evidence points elsewhere

After this, the lady speaks about the innocent people that have been killed by drone attacks from the United States. In my opinion, the people that are living in the mountains of Pakistan are being terrorised from three different sources; Al Qaeda, the Taliban and the US via drone attacks

History would tell us that this would only serve to create more terrorism.

The lady was initially told that there is a question and answer part towards the end. Fair enough, and she continued with her question but any where else she would have just been allowed to continue with her argument and sit down. It's not like she became abusive. Is this the freedom of speech we get for speaking out against atrocities?

Saying that, I suppose, the gov't of Pakistan don't really care about drone attacks, as long as they get their wage check from their paymaster. This is why I agree with Imran Khan that Pakistan should reject aid - specifically US aid

Any way, it was more my way of ranting about something which annoyed me so much, but if you want to discuss below, then feel to do so
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    She has such a monotonous voice tone when she first starts talking
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    She has such a monotonous voice tone when she first starts talking
    great input :borat:
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unmanned Aerial Systems are great tools if used properly.

The US has yet to learn that second bit.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swaggiee)
    great input :borat:
    justin bieber boyfriend video comes out today :cool:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's got nothing to do with freedom of speech :lolwut: She is disrupting a press conference.

Also, do we have any stats on the deaths caused by Drone strikes?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    justin bieber boyfriend video comes out today :cool:
    7.50pm EST time still got timee
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get angry all you like but unfortunately this is the way international relations work, we might get along if we had some aliens to fight, but other than that it's not gonna happen
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    It's got nothing to do with freedom of speech :lolwut: She is disrupting a press conference.

Also, do we have any stats on the deaths caused by Drone strikes?
    Noone has hard stats, there's no way of collecting them. As the CIA tends to lead/direct the lion's share of the operations they don't disclose what goes on, unlike if it had been the USAF, for example. So because of that noone knows how many missions are undertaken, how many weapons fired, what targets are hit, etc etc. Anecdotal evidence from the ground is always going to be biased, from either side.
    • 106 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    You can get angry all you like but unfortunately this is the way international relations work, we might get along if we had some aliens to fight, but other than that it's not gonna happen
    The unfortunate truth. Any way, I feel slightly less angry now that I've vented all that out
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Noone has hard stats, there's no way of collecting them. As the CIA tends to lead/direct the lion's share of the operations they don't disclose what goes on, unlike if it had been the USAF, for example. So because of that noone knows how many missions are undertaken, how many weapons fired, what targets are hit, etc etc. Anecdotal evidence from the ground is always going to be biased, from either side.
    This is my issue to be honest. I just can't trust stats from Pakistan ISS or the Pakistani Taliban, try as I might.

It's like when we hear stories about 'US troops targetting civilians!' And it turns out to be a civilian killed in crossfire in a residential area where ISAF troops were ambushed or some such.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Collateral Damage
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)

and it incredibly angers me that the person being interviewed initially said

"A group that appears to be aligning itself with Al Qaeda's violent agenda, is increasingly looking to attack Western interests in Nigeria, in addition to Nigerian government targets. More broadly, Al Qaeda is killing of innocents, mostly Muslim men, women and children, has barely tarnished it's image and appeal in the eyes of Muslims around the world"

See how he mentions Western interests. I suppose if Iranian interests were jeopardised, it wouldn't count as terrorism then?

Then he implies that Muslims actually like Al Qaeda. For a counter terrorism policy maker, it's a very stupid comment to make. It only serves to alienate people more, as well as segregating many people. He helps the stereotype that "Muslims are all terrorists" even though the evidence points elsewhere
    Your first complaint is wholly nonsensical. He mentioned Western interests because they are targeting Western interests. They are not targeting Iranian interests. They are targeting Western interests. It is really not that complicated.

Secondly, he says that al Qaeda's reputation has been badly tarnished by its killing of Muslims around the world, NOT barely tarnished. You simply misheard.
    • 106 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish)
    Your first complaint is wholly nonsensical. He mentioned Western interests because they are targeting Western interests. They are not targeting Iranian interests. They are targeting Western interests. It is really not that complicated.
    I do realise that, but my point here is that I doubt it would be considered terrorism from the US if Iranian interests were at risk, but not US interests

(Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish)
    Secondly, he says that al Qaeda's reputation has been badly tarnished by its killing of Muslims around the world, NOT barely tarnished. You simply misheard.
    Fair enough, but I stand by every thing else
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    excellent well done to her need more people like her.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    I do realise that, but my point here is that I doubt it would be considered terrorism from the US if Iranian interests were at risk, but not US interests
    That is not true.The People's Mujahideen of Iran is a group that primarily targets Iran, and is designated as a terrorist organisation by the US and European countries.

Edit: It was recently removed from the EU list of terrorist organisations, but that was based on its claim to have given up violence, rather than on who it targets. It remains designated as a terrorist group by the United States and Canada.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.