Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Would you ever convert for someone you really love?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Would you convert for someone you love?
    Yes
    4.21%
    No
    95.79%

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I voted No, but I am unsure as to what I would do if she was completely fine with whatever my views were, but her parents were strictly religious and required that I convert before giving their consent/blessing to our relationship.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bey Taco)
    If she already knows of my views beforehand and knows I have only converted to bring us closer then a known fact cannot be a lie. I am merely then a victim alike those that are born into a religion but do not practice it.
    knowing your views beforehand and knowing youve converted afterwards doesnt necessarily mean she knows its all a con...if she does, its just a lie that both of you share rather than you actually converting, what is the point?.... it may appear as though youve converted to others but between the both of you, you two know its a lie... if youre an atheist, its not really the same as the bold is it? given they probably may believe in some sort of general concept of god rather than being an atheist/agnostic in the closet

converting usually involves you believing to my knowledge....

i would have thought most partners in this scenario would have had some sort of offence to this lie, though i may be wrong... (i.e. partner accepts you, and you supposedly 'convert' so the parents would be happy if you two got married etc). though isnt the context of this thread about actually believing... wanting to believe just for her/him?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not in a million years.

Weird that some atheists are saying they wont :/ , surely if you don't view religion to be important and see it as a act alike believing a man in the sky then this should be like purchasing a book about fairy tales? Big deal, you had to take part in some random acts and people read random scripts and **** you couldnt understand, isnt it like celebrating christmas and eating a egg on easter?

I am surprised that some athiests are connected to athiesm like a catholic to God, church or just their religion in general.

To answer the question, yes, I would.
    You really don't have a clue mate.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrs_17)
    As an atheist, I couldn't tolerate being with someone of a different belief to me initially, let alone go along with their airy-fairy rituals...
    Why shouldn't atheism be a similar belief system? I believe in Science and reason, and would find it offensive to have God shoved in my face, just as Theists do vice versa.
    Religious people also believe in "Science and reason" as well. They're both great tools to establishing the truth of your own faith
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalMH)
    Belief is a choice(IMO).
    i think it may go either way depending on context
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think it actually involves believing. No one in their right minds would ask you to change your ultimate belief I think there would be more convincing involved (or brainwashing). If you notice the question asks 'would you convert' and not would you actually start to take the religion seriously, follow it and change your belief.
    im not sure... i think that is the context, since converting isnt some wishy washy thing...the bold would probably be your actual answer to the thread... though it may not necessarily be about asking to convert... the threads about would you, merely the hypothetical possibility (and is a possible scenario however it comes up)

again... the keyword is "convert", think you may just be pedantic with the latter wording... converting i.e. in this context you change your belief system not just lie... which is probably the reason why so many people say no and hence why youre surprised...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    Religious people also believe in "Science and reason" as well. They're both great tools to establishing the truth of your own faith
    Don't get me started. The whole point it's called "faith" is because there is no evidence for it. When faith is backed up by evidence what does it become? Fact.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Belief is a choice(IMO). Having a life is a choice, having arm is a choice, having a leg is a choice. That implies his opinion.
    Bull****

No one chooses to be born and therefore have a life. You could argue perhaps that we choose to live or die when we are capable enough to kill ourselves, but even then, there is a massively strong urge to stay alive that is very hard to fight, and not a very straight forward choice at all.

No one chooses to grow an arm or leg. We are either born with them or not, again it may be a choice to not cut them off when we are capable of doing so, but there is, again, a massively strong urge to not do so, which would (I would imagine) be extremely hard to fight with no legitimate reason.

I ask you, how do you choose to believe in something? Do you not think that most atheists think they live fairly decent lives, maybe with some faults, but generally thinking they're not evil or anything, and therefore, if there was some sort of afterlife, they would think they would deserve the good side of it. So wouldn't dying and going on to a "better place" be preferable to dying and never having a conscious thought again and just being material matter that rots or burns? Why would any atheist choose to not believe in a god and therefore an afterlife out of that choice?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    No lol, I wouldn't even if the whole human population was at stake.
    As a Muslim you are ordered to give up your faith if it puts you or anyone in direct harms way. You don't have to actually give up your faith, but projecting it outwardly is a provocation for violence if you have already been threatened. Although I do get what you're saying, you wouldn't convert for someone you loved, which is fine, but i think you exaggerated a little too much.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takethyfacehence)
    Bull****

No one chooses to be born and therefore have a life. You could argue perhaps that we choose to live or die when we are capable enough to kill ourselves, but even then, there is a massively strong urge to stay alive that is very hard to fight, and not a very straight forward choice at all.

No one chooses to grow an arm or leg. We are either born with them or not, again it may be a choice to not cut them off when we are capable of doing so, but there is, again, a massively strong urge to not do so, which would (I would imagine) be extremely hard to fight with no legitimate reason.

I ask you, how do you choose to believe in something? Do you not think that most atheists think they live fairly decent lives, maybe with some faults, but generally thinking they're not evil or anything, and therefore, if there was some sort of afterlife, they would think they would deserve the good side of it. So wouldn't dying and going on to a "better place" be preferable to dying and never having a conscious thought again and just being material matter that rots or burns? Why would any atheist choose to not believe in a god and therefore an afterlife out of that choice?
    First stopping twisting my words. Second of all what you are saying is opinion, unless of course you have some evidence to back it up? I see people believing only because everyone else does, i believe that people only believe in hell or heaven because they want something after life.

I ain't extremely religiously as many people on here are but under no circumstances are we ever force to do anything against are will (unless of course you are forced ). I think you have extreme narrow view at the moment(this includes many people as well as myself).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    First stopping twisting my words. Second of all what you are saying is opinion, unless of course you have some evidence to back it up? I see people believing only because everyone else does, i believe that people only believe in hell or heaven because they want something after life.

I ain't extremely religiously as many people on here are but under no circumstances are we ever force to do anything against are will (unless of course you are forced ). I think you have extreme narrow view at the moment(this includes many people as well as myself).
    :confused:

Not sure how I twisted your words there. How does one choose to have a life, an arm or a leg?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

Not sure how I twisted your words there. How does one choose to have a life, an arm or a leg?
    You obviously knew what I meant....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You obviously knew what I meant....
    I honestly really didn't, and still don't...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No...
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, because no-one worth my spending my life with would make that ultimatum.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I honestly really didn't, and still don't...
    Surely the same argument of "when we are capable enough" would also apply to beliefs? Humans don't just pop out going I'm christian! Unless of course you have proof to suggest this?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not if it was Judaism :eek: I want to keep my foreskin thank you.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I did that, I would only be pretending to convert, rather than really converting.
    A person can't just change their beliefs at will.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No and to be honest they shouldn't expect you to
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely the same argument of "when we are capable enough" would also apply to beliefs? Humans don't just pop out going I'm christian! Unless of course you have proof to suggest this?
    Of course I don't believe humans pop out believing in a god or whatever. That doesn't support your point. Things can happen to you that aren't your choice every and any day of your life. Tomorrow I might start to develop cancer. Tomorrow I might also think I feel God's presence or something...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 5, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.