The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes Accommodation Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
He's so proud of it, He wants you to bring it! Seriously- I reckon no problem at all man! Foreman Grills rock!
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by Liam2987
He's so proud of it, He wants you to bring it! Seriously- I reckon no problem at all man! Foreman Grills rock!

Think the issue would be if you cook anything that creates too much smoke - then you'll be setting off the smoke alarms. You could always keep it your room and then use it in the kitchen, which would be fine. I used to keep a sandwich toaster and a microwave in my room and leave those in place. No Smokey... :rolleyes:
Original post by PaulS10
Are you allowed to bring a George Foreman grill with you? I just think it will be very useful, but I'm not sure whether the university will allow it.
Does anyone know?

go on this link

http://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying/accommodation/halls/index_html

then find your hall and read the info brochures, they will list what is and isnt allowed.
Reply 323
hi guys, do residence halls have wifi internet connection?
Reply 324
Original post by sammynqh

I read that you only get wired connections in halls. So it may be best to have an ethernet cable from home as they'll probably charge a fair bit to get one on site. Around the campus you should be able to get wi-fi anywhere.

depending in which hall your in some might have it in a communal area.
also CRM's Halls (slade park/dorset house) give you an ethernet cable.
Reply 326
Original post by MQ003C
I read that you only get wired connections in halls. So it may be best to have an ethernet cable from home as they'll probably charge a fair bit to get one on site. Around the campus you should be able to get wi-fi anywhere.

Do you know how much will they charge to get an ethernet cable on site? I have one at home but it seems broken :frown:
Do you know how much will they charge to get an ethernet cable on site? I have one at home but it seems broken :frown:

You could buy an ethernet cable from the Computer shop on campus for about a fiver or less, they sell other things too.

http://www.brookes.ac.uk/services/cs/about_us/cscentre.html
Reply 328
At my previous uni they charged about £10 for a cable so if you've got one spare around the house take it with you.
Reply 329
I'm in my second year but have had a fair bit of experience with housing this past year (don't ask!). Anyway, it depends on what you're after, especially budget-wise. But if you want somewhere fairly-ish quiet (compared to the other halls anyway) and decent enough and kinda cheap - Paul Kent is your best bet. Or Warneford if you fancy sharing showers. Cheney is massive and nice I suppose, but the rooms are tiny and because of the 50 week contract you end up paying much more. It is well known here that if you're poor you go to Crescent and rich kids go to Cheney or Slade Park, or the new Westminster and Dorset House they've finished building. I had no problems whatsoever with Paul Kent though. Admittedly mind, I did have a room swap because of issues with a jealous flatmate who happened to be on the very same course and in my group. Subsequently I had to request to be in a different seminar group with people who already knew each other and...eugh. Anyways, Paul Kent is the best all-rounder.
Reply 330

I think most do, but not in all areas and last year there were quite a few issues with it. But they provide you with an ethernet cable anyway. And if you don't have one, they are cheap so it's all good.
ah i need help
my course requires me to go both harcourt hill and headington campus
i'm wanting to go paul kent cause it's the cheapest for en suite but according to google maps it takes you 50 minutes and 2 buses to get to harcourt hill from paul kent accommodation, is this right?
Original post by Laura1234567890
ah i need help
my course requires me to go both harcourt hill and headington campus
i'm wanting to go paul kent cause it's the cheapest for en suite but according to google maps it takes you 50 minutes and 2 buses to get to harcourt hill from paul kent accommodation, is this right?

http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=207

If you go on this link, look at timetables there is a new bus service the U1x which goes directly to Harcourt from the Plain via Paul Kent, Crescent, Slade park headington campus etc.
thank you, that helps a lot
so you can get one bus but it still takes 46 minutes, that ain't great!
Reply 334
Original post by Laura1234567890
thank you, that helps a lot
so you can get one bus but it still takes 46 minutes, that ain't great!

Yeah, I'm at Paul Kent and 2 busses leave in the morning. Harcourt Hill is ages away anyway from all accomodation apart from the one's at Harcourt Hill so doesn't make much difference. What course are you thinking of doing?
Reply 335
I'm doing English and Film Studies starting in September and I've decided to apply to Paul Kent Hall but is the distance from there to Headington too far? Its the cheapest and best. Also, opinion on Westminster hall?
Reply 336
Original post by Agata
I'm doing English and Film Studies starting in September and I've decided to apply to Paul Kent Hall but is the distance from there to Headington too far? Its the cheapest and best. Also, opinion on Westminster hall?

Westminster is like 30-45 minutes on the bus although the accomodation is lush but expensive. PKH has 2-4 busses running in the morning to get you to lectures at headington like 15 minutes early. 10 minute journey on the bus and 25 minute walk if you feel for a stroll and about 10 minutes on a bike. Isn't far at all! Friends here do English and Film and they find no problem whatsoever so you should be good buddy :smile:
P.S. You'll find that Westminster/Slade/Dorset are a tad on the expensive side.
Reply 337
Original post by imtimp427
Westminster is like 30-45 minutes on the bus although the accomodation is lush but expensive. PKH has 2-4 busses running in the morning to get you to lectures at headington like 15 minutes early. 10 minute journey on the bus and 25 minute walk if you feel for a stroll and about 10 minutes on a bike. Isn't far at all! Friends here do English and Film and they find no problem whatsoever so you should be good buddy :smile:
P.S. You'll find that Westminster/Slade/Dorset are a tad on the expensive side.

Ah! Thanks. I wouldnt mind PKH but the desk's just put me off, they don't look attractive at all.
Reply 338
Most of the halls desks are nearly exactly the same. If anything Paul Kent has the biggest desks but you'll find you won't work in your room as often as your think. There's a computer room at the halls which is probably better than any computer room in the university. Great study space! I've spent days there till 7am. Really good!
Original post by Liam2987
Tell me about it. It all looks dead expensive. I wonder if they get away with charging more because its in Oxford?

In short mate, yes. However I'm a true Oxford boy and even I couldn't get my head around how much the student rooms are. It's disgusting. Had I known I would have gone somewhere else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending