The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes Accommodation Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MQ003C
I do have a general question I'd like to bring up about Crescent Hall. If anyone knows here...is it far from the campus? Is it a pain to get the bus to headington hill everyday or is it not that bad walking? The rooms don't look to bad and I hope the people won't be noisy and annoying either but that's something you don't know til you get there.

Crescent hall is fine! I live there at honestly its not as bad alot try to make it out to be because its the cheapest. you will be on the U5 bus route to gypsy lane to get you to campus. it means you have to get up abit earlier but honestly its not at all bad. you will find that you get the exact same as the other halls...including a very very similar kitchen. you get exactly the same appliances. The rooms are pretty decent. you get a big wardrobe, a large desk, lots of shelving, lockable underbed storage and then you have your sink which has storage for your stuff as well. Its around a 40min walk to gypsy lane so bus is the most practical option. takes just under 15mins. So for a 9am lecture you can get an 8.30 bus.

Just as a point if you live in clive booth get used to walking! Its all uphill to get from your room to campus and to the bus stop if you are going to wheatley. Buses to wheatley for gypsy lane (so all halls bar westminster, slade, paul kent and crescent) they will get very busy! there are several on at peak times but be prepared to stand on your bus journeys.

Those in the other halls bar westminster. The U5X is very very rarely full so you will have a comfortable journey there :smile: just runs less often.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 61
Original post by Charlottay!
Crescent hall is fine! I live there at honestly its not as bad alot try to make it out to be because its the cheapest. you will be on the U5 bus route to gypsy lane to get you to campus. it means you have to get up abit earlier but honestly its not at all bad. you will find that you get the exact same as the other halls...including a very very similar kitchen. you get exactly the same appliances. The rooms are pretty decent. you get a big wardrobe, a large desk, lots of shelving, lockable underbed storage and then you have your sink which has storage for your stuff as well. Its around a 40min walk to gypsy lane so bus is the most practical option. takes just under 15mins. So for a 9am lecture you can get an 8.30 bus.

Just as a point if you live in clive booth get used to walking! Its all uphill to get from your room to campus and to the bus stop if you are going to wheatley. Buses to wheatley for gypsy lane (so all halls bar westminster, slade, paul kent and crescent) they will get very busy! there are several on at peak times but be prepared to stand on your bus journeys.

Those in the other halls bar westminster. The U5X is very very rarely full so you will have a comfortable journey there :smile: just runs less often.

Ah cool so its got all the usual stuff you need and its about 40 mins walking? That isn't bad but not for a 9 am lecture! Of course the halls are randomly allocated but ideally I'd like crescent as its out of the way and looks like a decent place to live. I just hope this random allocation stuff isn't as random as it would seem what would be the point of preferences if its all random?

Anyway thanks for the reply. :smile:
Original post by MQ003C
Ah cool so its got all the usual stuff you need and its about 40 mins walking? That isn't bad but not for a 9 am lecture! Of course the halls are randomly allocated but ideally I'd like crescent as its out of the way and looks like a decent place to live. I just hope this random allocation stuff isn't as random as it would seem what would be the point of preferences if its all random?

Anyway thanks for the reply. :smile:

The allocation is random to point. your preference still gets taken into consideration but there will be alot applying for clive booth.

so essentially what happens is they fill the rooms with as many first choice pick people as people. obvs this isnt possible so they take 2nd preference and fill in the gaps with 2nd. those who again weren't successful go to 3rd and so on. i got my 4th and i no people who got 5th. its luck. i also no many who got first choice.

I don't no many who walk to gypsy lane from crescent. i know many who cycle! its a really nice cycle route. take you about 20/25mins tops. its pretty flat as well. except for bus, cycling is the next best thing. you will see many many many places to put ur bike both in halls and on campus
Reply 63
Original post by Backchatgirl
Thank God, I'm not the only one :L I've put oxford brookes as my insurance, but still, it's an absolute pain!

Haha! Well should've put it firm to be honest!... What are you going on to study then? and well I have read in some places that Brookes admin team isn't the best and sometimes a bit delayed but it'll reach us soon... I hope... Eventually... :smile:
Original post by imtimp427
Haha! Well should've put it firm to be honest!... What are you going on to study then? and well I have read in some places that Brookes admin team isn't the best and sometimes a bit delayed but it'll reach us soon... I hope... Eventually... :smile:

Nah, my firm is Kent and I'm pretty happy with that :P I'll be studying Anthropology which I'm very excited about :biggrin: What about you?
And yes, I emailed the accommodation 'people' and they said if it doesn't get here by June contact them again, but that our deadline isn't till August anyway (for conditional offers).
Has anyone else not received their accommodation letter yet? Starting to get a little worried..... :s-smilie:
Reply 66
Original post by Laura Wilshire
Has anyone else not received their accommodation letter yet? Starting to get a little worried..... :s-smilie:

Haven't had mine yet either. Just be patient and hopefully we'll get it in the next week or two.
Reply 67
I havent even recieved mine yet neither have my friends!!!! And peop0le in bloody romania are recieving them before me??? I just dont even know -.-
Reply 68
Original post by n.latham
I havent even recieved mine yet neither have my friends!!!! And peop0le in bloody romania are recieving them before me??? I just dont even know -.-

Should i feel offended? cuz I don't :rolleyes:
Reply 69
Original post by n.latham

I'm in the same situation (from London) and still havent received anything from OB. I called them and supposedly it should come soon. It's so annoying!
Reply 70
Original post by Guygp
i wouldn't worry about it too much. Although the accommodation on the website and prospectus is the official oxford brookes accommodation, they also own a lot of student housing so they'll be able to find somewhere alright for you if you aren't successful.
That's what my offer day guide said so i'm remaining hopeful :smile:

hahahah well thats good to hear, im soo relieved!! but the weird thing about oxford brookes is that y cant apply for any accommodation until results day! in bristol the accommodation applications opens first of june!
Original post by nadeen94
hahahah well thats good to hear, im soo relieved!! but the weird thing about oxford brookes is that y cant apply for any accommodation until results day! in bristol the accommodation applications opens first of june!

You apply for accommodation now! once you receive your letter. APPLY. however the closing date isnt until after results day and the allocations is done even later. Brookes just like to wait until they know exactly who they have coming and sort it out in 2 chunks. Unconditional are done in July and the rest after results.
Accepted their offer 2 weeks ago. Just want to book accommodation!
Reply 73
not had my letter yet, would be worried but because i insured it, probably won't get uni accommodation. Greattt
I just got my letter and applied, but since it's my insurance I might not get in. And even with choosing the cheapest accommodation, I almost had a heart attack at those prices.
Reply 75
Got my letter this morning!
Original post by Aled92
Got my letter this morning!

...me too!!! :biggrin:
Reply 77
Got my letter this morning - I blame living in Plymouth ¬_¬ Actually sat down and worked prices down literally to what I'd have left a day after paying for accom (worse case situation of literally just having the loan and maintenance grant. Boils down to me being poor if I can't get a transfer for work!

Think I'm going to go for: Clivebooth (ES)
Sladepark
Clivebooth (NES)
Paul Kent
Warneford
Reply 78
GOT MY LETTER TODAY! AND APPLIED...
1) Paul Kent Hall
2) Clive Booth Village
3) Westminster Hall
4) Clive Booth (Non-Ensuite)
5) Crescent Hall
Reply 79
Original post by Backchatgirl
Nah, my firm is Kent and I'm pretty happy with that :P I'll be studying Anthropology which I'm very excited about :biggrin: What about you?
And yes, I emailed the accommodation 'people' and they said if it doesn't get here by June contact them again, but that our deadline isn't till August anyway (for conditional offers).

Haha! I'm gonna do Motorsport Engineering with foundation year and I have no idea about what your doing is haha! Got mine today so your should come through soon I hope :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending